IGNORED

Cole Skuse

The Dolman Pragmatist

I see that Cole Skuse has signed a new contract with Ipswich, but also not only that he has the highest number of interceptions (62) in the Championship this season, but that that is more than any player in any of the top five leagues in Europe (Premier, La Liga,  Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1).  Hard to think of a player who is more appreciate by his club, but who is as far out of the spotlight as Cole.

37 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I see that Cole Skuse has signed a new contract with Ipswich, but also not only that he has the highest number of interceptions (62) in the Championship this season, but that that is more than any player in any of the top five leagues in Europe (Premier, La Liga,  Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1).  Hard to think of a player who is more appreciate by his club, but who is as far out of the spotlight as Cole.

His contribution at City unfortunately went unappreciated by many fans. Always a class player but I'm disappointed he signed a new  deal with the Tractor Boys. I was hoping he'd resign for City in the summer.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

His contribution at City unfortunately went unappreciated by many fans. Always a class player but I'm disappointed he signed a new  deal with the Tractor Boys. I was hoping he'd resign for City in the summer.

Yeah, at 32, a good squad option, and naturally progress into the coaching set-up.

Typical player / style that goes unappreciated.  Look at some poster’s view of Korey Smith, and the marmite Marlon Pack....and look at what we miss when they aren’t there.

Good news because it should put to bed rumours of him returning to AG as a player, something which would be a backwards move for BCFC and go against the stated policy of signing young improvers.

Though generally solid CS was nowhere near as influential as his most ardent fans like @Robbored would have us believe and his gradual stagnation at AG was particularly evident in his last season with us.

When you refuse to sign a new contract with a club there should be no prospect of a return as a player imo.

There seems little doubt he will return in the future as a member of the coaching staff and, if he genuinely has something to offer in that respect, it will be a welcome homecoming.

57 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I see that Cole Skuse has signed a new contract with Ipswich, but also not only that he has the highest number of interceptions (62) in the Championship this season, but that that is more than any player in any of the top five leagues in Europe (Premier, La Liga,  Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1).  Hard to think of a player who is more appreciate by his club, than by the fans but who is as far out of the spotlight as Cole.

16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Good news because it should put to bed rumours of him returning to AG as a player, something which would be a backwards move for BCFC and go against the stated policy of signing young improvers.

Though generally solid CS was nowhere near as influential as his most ardent fans like @Robbored would have us believe and his gradual stagnation at AG was particularly evident in his last season with us.

When you refuse to sign a new contract with a club there should be no prospect of a return as a player imo.

There seems little doubt he will return in the future as a member of the coaching staff and, if he genuinely has something to offer in that respect, it will be a welcome homecoming.

First point - the very experienced Skuse would be a great addition to the squad given the amount of youngsters at City

Second point - What Skuse brought is subjective. A typical marmite player. I'd like to see what Spudski's view on him is

Third point - nonsense!

Fourth point - he will end up at City. He's a local bloke, has a house in the Coalpit Health area and is good mats with LJ. As to what coaching skills he has - who knows?

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This may be an almost unique event, but I agree 100% with that.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

First point - the very experienced Skuse would be a great addition to the squad given the amount of youngsters at City

Second point - What Skuse brought is subjective. A typical marmite player. I'd like to see what Spudski's view on him is

Third point - nonsense!

Fourth point - he will end up at City. He's a local bloke, has a house in the Coalpit Health area and is good mats with LJ. As to what coaching skills he has - who knows?

Of course it's subjective but the key thing is we haven't missed Skuse one bit since he left.

We don't lack experience in midfield at all - in Pack, Smith, Paterson, O'Neil and Hegeler we have a glut of experienced midfield players, as well as a crop of exciting younger ones.

Pack is a younger and better version of Skuse, Korey is simply an all round far more dynamic and influential player

Time to stop your hankering for CS to return as a player - the club have moved on and imo we're all the better for it.

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A return to jobs for the boys? I hope not.

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Of course it's subjective but the key thing is we haven't missed Skuse one bit since he left.

We don't lack experience in midfield at all - in Pack, Smith, Paterson, O'Neil and Hegeler we have a glut of experienced midfield players, as well as a crop of exciting younger ones.

Pack is a younger and better version of Skuse, Korey is simply an all round far more dynamic and influential player

Time to stop your hankering for CS to return as a player - the club have moved on and imo we're all the better for it.

It does make me laugh when people bring up being subjective and then proceed to make a list of subjective comments.

By the way, that is one hell of an assumption that Pack is better than Skuse. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Third point - nonsense!

Why are you talking about Skuse? He's an ex player............ 

32 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

It does make me laugh when people bring up being subjective and then proceed to make a list of subjective comments.

By the way, that is one hell of an assumption that Pack is better than Skuse. 

That we've got plenty of experienced options in midfield already is hardly subjective.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, keeps cropping up, but could do with new opinions on the subject.

What's yours? :dunno:

Can't say I was that bothered when he left, part of some of the worst teams I have seen (obviously not all down to him) Not sure there is much between him and Pack.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Can't say I was that bothered when he left, part of some of the worst teams I have seen (obviously not all down to him) Not sure there is much between him and Pack.

I think many would feel the same.

Not a bad player when on form by any means, but replaced at AG with ease and we've now got at a number of options at least as good in midfield, and younger.

His ongoing stagnation at AG, culminating in a very poor last season or so, was there for all to see, and he's probably been rejuvenated slightly by the move.

So the parting of the ways can be seen as positive for both parties.

I suspect signing this new contract indicates he's actually very content in Suffolk. 

It's a much more rural and laid back area than Bristol, and the lifestyle there probably suits him well.

1 minute ago, Collis1 said:

If you think really hard about it though nearly every opinion people have about football is subjective. :ph34r:

If you think even harder about it it's not an opinion that we have plenty of experienced midfield options.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not only that, but he is following the thread so he gets a notification every time someone posts about said ex player.

@Fordy62 - looks like you’ve got some aspiring detectives on here in @JamesBCFC and @ZiderEyed.  He’d have got away with it if it wasn’t for those meddling kids!

Truly awful player in my opinion could never see what some people saw from him. Like the post above I am pleased to see this should put to bed any nonsense of him coming back. We have moved on considerably. 

Football aside though he is a fantastic bloke and great with the young fans.

5 minutes ago, One Team said:

Truly awful player in my opinion could never see what some people saw from him. Like the post above I am pleased to see this should put to bed any nonsense of him coming back. We have moved on considerably. 

He was hardly awful - save that for the likes of Bas Savage, Ricky Foster etc. 

I thought he was an average player in this league. Fair enough when he left really - needed to do it to improve his career. 

He's a City lad and if he does his coaching badges then I'd have him no doubt - he cares about the club. 

44 minutes ago, One Team said:

Are you having a laugh? He's having a laugh!

Weird thread but maybe the first time I have totally agreed with Robbored and davfevs so will add a comment that is; anyone who says he was awful never watched him live on a regular basis.

He was a class act and his number of appearances in The Championship show that whilst City were in league 1.

I hope Lj has a good relationship with him but I have no idea. I know for sure Gary J didn't want to keep Skuse at BS3 as it threatened further a place in the team for his son.

Hopefully Lj will still be in charge when Skuse is next available to return West. Like Tinman and Carey they are BCFC at heart which matters to me.

Anyone go to Leicester for Cole's contribution to the 'S' hatrick; Sproul, Skuse, Sno? A stunning goal in a stunning win from a truly consistent classy midfielder. Shouldn't ever mention injured O'Neil nor unproven Hegeler in the same thread/breath.

Archived