IGNORED

Injury update

CliftonCliff

Bit surprised nobody seems to have picked this up (unless I’ve missed something) so just thought I’d draw attention to the Post’s report that Pisano and O’Neil may well play in the U-23 game against Liverpool next week (Tuesday?) Positive news at last, if accurate.

O’Dowda, on the other hand, is not mentioned. He was co-commentator/summariser on RB some weeks back, and I was astonished to hear him say he was still having to ice his ankle every few hours, a very long time indeed after the original injury. This gives credence to a rumour that has been mentioned here recently (I think by Pete Hinton, though I’m not certain about that) which suggested that the problem is much worse than feared and that he may not play again this season.

Anyway, if the former two are on the way back, it’s very much to be welcomed and we can look forward to having a much stronger bench than we’ve been used to for some months.

5 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Think once Pisano is back we'll see the 3-5-2 more often.

Regardless of formation, I will be very glad to see a genuine alternative available again for the RB position, for several reasons: it increases our options in a number of ways.

On the other issue I referred to, the rumour about O’Dowda, if true, makes the recruitment of Kent seem all the more prudent. 

26 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Think once Pisano is back we'll see the 3-5-2 more often.

If we do see that I might be questioning whether LJ can make the big call as to who his CB pairing is!!  DH talked today about having a plan B or C, but not throwing away the Plan A That has got us to where we are....and that is with a back 4.

With Pisano back, we can have both of our full-backs with Attacking intentions without having to go with wing-backs.

I guess we’ll see :P

4 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

O’Dowda, on the other hand, is not mentioned. He was co-commentator/summariser on RB some weeks back, and I was astonished to hear him say he was still having to ice his ankle every few hours, a very long time indeed after the original injury. This gives credence to a rumour that has been mentioned here recently (I think by Pete Hinton, though I’m not certain about that) which suggested that the problem is much worse than feared and that he may not play again this season.

Not this, please. :no:

It would be a massive blow for our playoff hopes.

14 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Regardless of formation, I will be very glad to see a genuine alternative available again for the RB position, for several reasons: it increases our options in a number of ways.

On the other issue I referred to, the rumour about O’Dowda, if true, makes the recruitment of Kent seem all the more prudent. 

The rumour on O'Dowda is true. Unlikely to feature again this season .

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The rumour on O'Dowda is true. Unlikely to feature again this season .

Real blow, he was just starting to show his best form for us and that also explains the Kent signing.

As for Pisano, he is ok but not sure he is that important, we got to the top three without him and whilst I accept he is a more natural RB and better fit for what we are trying to do than Wright, I don’t think he is as good a defender.

Need our creative players to step up to improve our form.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Real blow, he was just starting to show his best form for us and that also explains the Kent signing.

As for Pisano, he is ok but not sure he is that important, we got to the top three without him and whilst I accept he is a more natural RB and better fit for what we are trying to do than Wright, I don’t think he is as good a defender.

Need our creative players to step up to improve our form.

Really, I think you might be in a minority on that. BW has done a good job filling in, but it has been that, filling in. 
At times we have lacked balance due to BW not being in the right position and struggling to get forward due to him being a CB. Pisano has been a big miss.
Bit like Bobby playing up front on his own, he is definitely not a CF but he has done a brilliant job, as soon as the proper centre forwards are fit, he drops back.

It will be interesting to see what formation we play when he is back, and back properly. I like 5-3-2 with wing backs, but I think that may be plan B as LJ seems to like wingers. I like the idea of a MF 3 and Brownhill ,Pack and Smith would be a very good fit imo.

46 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Really, I think you might be in a minority on that. BW has done a good job filling in, but it has been that, filling in. 
At times we have lacked balance due to BW not being in the right position and struggling to get forward due to him being a CB. Pisano has been a big miss.
Bit like Bobby playing up front on his own, he is definitely not a CF but he has done a brilliant job, as soon as the proper centre forwards are fit, he drops back.

It will be interesting to see what formation we play when he is back, and back properly. I like 5-3-2 with wing backs, but I think that may be plan B as LJ seems to like wingers. I like the idea of a MF 3 and Brownhill ,Pack and Smith would be a very good fit imo.

I have no idea of the stats but would guess Bailey Wright has played more games for us filling in’ at RB than in his natural position. We are all putting a lot of hope and belief in Pisano, but again we haven’t seen him play much as he got injured so early. He has been out of the team a long time, the team have gelled without him and got to where they are. Yes I do know we are desperate for RB’s but we got to be sure Pisano is truly the answer before we shuffle again, however Korey should be in midfield I agree.

16 minutes ago, RedM said:

I have no idea of the stats but would guess Bailey Wright has played more games for us filling in’ at RB than in his natural position. We are all putting a lot of hope and belief in Pisano, but again we haven’t seen him play much as he got injured so early. He has been out of the team a long time, the team have gelled without him and got to where they are. Yes I do know we are desperate for RB’s but we got to be sure Pisano is truly the answer before we shuffle again, however Korey should be in midfield I agree.

Probably, and one of the reasons I'm amazed we didn't sign a RB in the window. It makes it easier for LJ to pick a team, he doesn't have to make a decision of who to drop. First we had Flints should he stay or should he go saga, meant BW slotted in with Bakes. The Eros got injured allowing BW to move across with Flinty coming in. Of course it gets a bit complicated with Baker suspended and no natural 2nd, or is it 3rd ,choice RB. 
It is a long time (or seems ) ago we saw him and as you say, not for too long, but just having a natural and experienced RB should make a difference for the better.  Plus , I like the look of...............

FF/Steele
              BW......Flint.........Baker
EP                                                      JB
         Brownhil.....Pack......Smith

Reid
                            FD

19 minutes ago, RedM said:

22 at RB

9 at CB

17 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Anyway, if the former two are on the way back, it’s very much to be welcomed

The former two being Pisano (or Pisaro, which ever you want to call him. Or, indeed, David Pizarro, who played 300 times in Serie A, a splendid attacking midfielder) and O'Neill.

Yet no-one in this thread has mentioned O'Neil (is it one bloody L or two? Bloody L). Unsurprisingly. I would welcome him disappearing off the wage bill, that's about it, no offence "to the lad". I fail to see what he has done for us or could do.

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Along with Pisano he’s missed massively and was probably our best player at the time of his injury. Gutted about this to be honest . 

Must be one absolute bugger of an ankle injury. Let’s hope he does eventually make a full recovery and it doesn’t have a long-term impact on his career. There had been some criticism earlier in the season from the usual suspects, but I totally agree that Mr. “No End Product” O’Dowda had really started to deliver prior to him getting crocked. Never a good time to be injured, but this was particularly unfortunate. He would have been a great asset in the run-in. Just have to wish the lad well for next season and crack on without him: as I said above, it clarifies the thinking behind the signing of Kent, which in the light of the news about COD seems a very good move. (Pity we couldn’t come up with something similar to cover the RB position in my view, but I guess you can’t have everything.)

12 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

The former two being Pisano (or Pisaro, which ever you want to call him. Or, indeed, David Pizarro, who played 300 times in Serie A, a splendid attacking midfielder) and O'Neill.

Yet no-one in this thread has mentioned O'Neil (is it one bloody L or two? Bloody L). Unsurprisingly. I would welcome him disappearing off the wage bill, that's about it, no offence "to the lad". I fail to see what he has done for us or could do.

That nobody has mentioned GON might be down to the fact that it’s been debated at length in previous threads. I and quite a few others have argued that persistent and nagging injuries have prevented us from seeing the best of him. Long in the tooth now he may be, but hugely experienced, with three (or is it four?) promotions to the PL on his CV, and at his best a very authoritative presence on the field. You may yet find he has a useful contribution to make in high pressure games in the final run-in.

6 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

That nobody has mentioned GON might be down to the fact that it’s been debated at length in previous threads. I and quite a few others have argued that persistent and nagging injuries have prevented us from seeing the best of him. Long in the tooth now he may be, but hugely experienced, with three (or is it four?) promotions to the PL on his CV, and at his best a very authoritative presence on the field. You may yet find he has a useful contribution to make in high pressure games in the final run-in.

I totally agree re O’Neil. I think he’ll give us some know how and experience that we have lacked at times over the past few weeks. He’s been very successful in this league before and I think having him to come on and help close out games will be a big boost to us. 

Archived