IGNORED

Liam Miller RIP

Woolford's Hairband

1 hour ago, Red7 said:

Really hope the club can organise a picture on the screen and a minute of applause or similar today.

Can I ask why you really hope we do this? 

Its a really sad story, 36 is no age to go. I think it would be best for them to organise a proper display their next home game if they decide to. 

Did anyone see what Millwall did yesterday, a minutes applause for all the fans that they've lost over the last year, they select a fixture once a year to pay their respects to all. It had a proper meaning to it. 

I feel as if a minutes applause/silence is becoming far too common, and actually losing its meaning. 

The funny thing was, I know Dave Managh (Brownhills ears for many) who was a bloke I got on well with, felt the same way, during his minutes applause I stood there taking part knowing that it would've rustled him one final time. :laughcont:

Obviously there will always be exceptions, such as a club legend dying but to have one day dedicated to it would be the better option I believe. 

Heres a good article for you all to read, which probably gets my point across better than I did. 

'Has football developed an unhealthy obsession with grief'

https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/yp8n5m/has-football-developed-an-unhealthy-obsession-with-grief

5 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Its a really sad story, 36 is no age to go. I think it would be best for them to organise a proper display their next home game if they decide to. 

Did anyone see what Millwall did yesterday, a minutes applause for all the fans that they've lost over the last year, they select a fixture once a year to pay their respects to all. It had a proper meaning to it. 

I feel as if a minutes applause/silence is becoming far too common, and actually losing its meaning. 

The funny thing was, I know Dave Managh (Brownhills ears for many) who was a bloke I got on well with, felt the same way, during his minutes applause I stood there taking part knowing that it would've rustled him one final time. :laughcont:

Obviously there will always be exceptions, such as a club legend dying but to have one day dedicated to it would be the better option I believe. 

Heres a good article for you all to read, which probably gets my point across better than I did. 

https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/yp8n5m/has-football-developed-an-unhealthy-obsession-with-grief

I understand what you are saying, seems we posted at the same time otherwise I would have answered before I put my reply. But my opinion is that it would be disrespectful to ignore this has just happened, especially as I said as we are playing one of his former clubs today. Infact it would be not only disrespectful, it would be downright rude. We aren’t that sort of club.

7 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Because there are times when I think any rivalries need to be put aside, if only for a moment, as a mark of respect for the people who have played this game we all love. As the poster above said, we're not the sort of club to ignore this. 

7 minutes ago, Red7 said:

Because there are times when I think any rivalries need to be put aside, if only for a moment, as a mark of respect for the people who have played this game we all love. As the poster above said, we're not the sort of club to ignore this. 

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

I understand what you are saying, seems we posted at the same time otherwise I would have answered before I put my reply. But my opinion is that it would be disrespectful to ignore this has just happened, especially as I said as we are playing one of his former clubs today. Infact it would be not only disrespectful, it would be downright rude. We aren’t that sort of club.

Fair enough I do get where you're coming from.

You don't want to bdisrespectful, but at the same time it's a player with no affiliation to our club, and I'm guessing a lot of the fans won't have ever heard of him.

I feel as if many would be joining in but without having any true feeling for what they're paying respects to.

If one of our ex players passed away and the club we were away to didn't hold a minutes applause, can you honestly say you'd be angered? I wouldn't. I'd know that our club would be planning something for the next home game, much like Sunderland will be so all fans can pay their proper respects.

I wouldn’t say I would be angered, no. But if a club took a minute, after all that’s all it is, to respect a player who had just died (and in this case tragically young and from something that could touch us all in one way or another) then I would think better of the club, it’s fans and humanity in general than if they had ignored this happening. 

Is it me or is this spiteful, horrific, merciless disease claiming younger and younger lives? I know the research tells you that average life post diagnosis can be prolonged with improvements in treatment, drugs etc but it seems all the money and research isn't bringing cancer to an end any time soon (and that's from someone who has lost a parent to it, as have many on here..).

RIP Liam Miller.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

I agree, choosing one day a season to properly honour all the players and fans who have passed away during that season would be a fitting tribute and make it more meaningful. Otherwise there could be a minutes’ silence/applause almost every week. We didn’t do anything to mark Cyrille Regis’ passing did we? Our next home game after he died was Man City but I can’t remember seeing anything. Apologies if I’ve got that incorrect.

All that aside, Liam Miller, dreadful news - much too young to leave us. Rest easy fella...

20 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Is it me or is this spiteful, horrific, merciless disease claiming younger and younger lives? I know the research tells you that average life post diagnosis can be prolonged with improvements in treatment, drugs etc but it seems all the money and research isn't bringing cancer to an end any time soon (and that's from someone who has lost a parent to it, as have many on here..).

RIP Liam Miller.

It would appear that way. I am no medic but from what I read progress is being made and the survival rate for some cancers is much better than it was although mostly in other countries.

It is an odious non discriminatory disease that has affected almost all of us by losing or disabling family members and friends.

It is a frightening fact that of the 20k who attend the game today,a high percentage are likely to lose their life to cancer at some point in the future.

RIP Liam. Talented player, and way more importantly, a lovely person from all accounts.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Fair enough I do get where you're coming from.

You don't want to bdisrespectful, but at the same time it's a player with no affiliation to our club, and I'm guessing a lot of the fans won't have ever heard of him.

I feel as if many would be joining in but without having any true feeling for what they're paying respects to.

If one of our ex players passed away and the club we were away to didn't hold a minutes applause, can you honestly say you'd be angered? I wouldn't. I'd know that our club would be planning something for the next home game, much like Sunderland will be so all fans can pay their proper respects.

Totally get that but it's not about you or anyone else who feels that way.

It's for his loved ones to see that football fans acknowledge his passing and to show the Sunderland fans that we are a Club and Fanbase with respect and integrity.

Just clapping for 1 min is the least we can do. 

RIP Liam

Hi all, 

Quick update on this. I have just checked this end and have been told Sunderland haven't requested anything as they are likely to do something at their next home match. We also have not been given any direction from the EFL either on this. 

Just to note however that the club will be sharing the story of the 5 City fans today who cycled from Ashton Gate to the Stadium of Light earlier in the season to raise money for the Bradley Lowery Foundation. They raised just under £6k and are featured in the match program and will be interviewed pitch side pre match. Bradley's parents are also at the match as well today and there will be an image of Bradley going up on the screens on the 6th minute. 

Matt 

10 minutes ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Hi all, 

Quick update on this. I have just checked this end and have been told Sunderland haven't requested anything as they are likely to do something at their next home match. We also have not been given any direction from the EFL either on this. 

Just to note however that the club will be sharing the story of the 5 City fans today who cycled from Ashton Gate to the Stadium of Light earlier in the season to raise money for the Bradley Lowery Foundation. They raised just under £6k and are featured in the match program and will be interviewed pitch side pre match. Bradley's parents are also at the match as well today and there will be an image of Bradley going up on the screens on the 6th minute. 

Matt 

Matt

Top Class. You really are the missing cog that fans have been missing for some time :clap:

Did BCFC invite Bradley's Family today? If so whose idea was it as if it was us it's absolute class.

23 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

If one of our ex players passed away and the club we were away to didn't hold a minutes applause, can you honestly say you'd be angered?

I wouldn't be angered. But I'd say fair play and have a lot of respect for any club which did do this.

11 minutes ago, Red7 said:

I wouldn't be angered. But I'd say fair play and have a lot of respect for any club which did do this.

Without wanting to get into a debate about this in a topic about something which is very sad, I feel that sometimes it becomes just about that; some people’s subconscious desire for affirmation and fans of other clubs to say ‘classy touch’ and ‘nice touch Bristol City’. 

If you haven’t already I’d recommend reading the article posted above. This extract is the point i’m making.

Why are we so compelled to make this a regular feature of the matchday routine? Is it because we feel genuine upset over the death of another human? A desire to be seen as wholesome and honourable? A shortcut to feeling good about ourselves? Is it a symptom of post-Diana Britain, where mourning has become as much a national pastime as tea and biscuits or Corrie?

I do think for some the desire to seem ‘wholesome and honourable’ is the main motivation whether they realise it or not.

On the whole, minutes applauses and silences are nice gestures but we have far too many. For me, they’ve lost much of their meaning and the routine sporadic minutes applauses that seem to happen every few games aren’t nearly as moving as the yearly rememberence day minutes silence. Being yearly, it’s retained its importance and poignancy. I think a single minutes applause for everyone who passed away once a season would be a better gesture. It would feel far more genuine and moving.

This was a tricky post to word correctly so I hope I’ve done so in a fitting manner. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I do think for some the desire to seem ‘wholesome and honourable’ is the main motivation whether they realise it or not.

That may well sometimes be the case. But I'd like to think it's mainly about giving any relatives or friends of the deceased even the tiniest crumb of comfort. Whether it's Bristol City or any other club.

4 minutes ago, Red7 said:

That may well sometimes be the case. But I'd like to think it's mainly about giving any relatives or friends of the deceased even the tiniest crumb of comfort. Whether it's Bristol City or any other club.

Maybe I’m just cynical but I believe it. One minutes applause a season with a minutes silence at rememberence day would be better.

Sometimes we’ve had minutes applauses and I’ve had no idea who they’re for or why we’re having it. If that doesn’t defeat the point of them I don’t know what does.

Archived