IGNORED

Oxfam

Esmond Million's Bung

I watched with incredulity the Newsnight piece on the scandal that has hit Oxfam, incredulity that it happened at all, incredulity that it has pretty much been covered up, incredulity that it would appear that Haiti was not the first time there had been allegations against Oxfam staff and now incredulity that the Times today is reporting today that some of the Oxfam perpetrators went on to work for other aid agencies allegedly with references from Oxfam, really what ******* planet do some of these people come from?.

But the most incredulous of all was the performance of the totally useless Andrew Mitchell MP who was an aid secretary between 2010 and 2012, when asked if he was aware of the allegations when he was in post his reply was "I can't remember", WTF is that the best this odious little man can come up with?, can I suggest that the allegation would have been so momentous regarding an institution like Oxfam nobody could forget that.

Certainly needs sorting and heads to role, but as usual not holding my breath.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43013669

On 2/10/2018 at 14:50, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I watched with incredulity the Newsnight piece on the scandal that has hit Oxfam, incredulity that it happened at all, incredulity that it has pretty much been covered up, incredulity that it would appear that Haiti was not the first time there had been allegations against Oxfam staff and now incredulity that the Times today is reporting today that some of the Oxfam perpetrators went on to work for other aid agencies allegedly with references from Oxfam, really what ******* planet do some of these people come from?.

But the most incredulous of all was the performance of the totally useless Andrew Mitchell MP who was an aid secretary between 2010 and 2012, when asked if he was aware of the allegations when he was in post his reply was "I can't remember", WTF is that the best this odious little man can come up with?, can I suggest that the allegation would have been so momentous regarding an institution like Oxfam nobody could forget that.

Certainly needs sorting and heads to role, but as usual not holding my breath.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43013669

Perhaps more incredulous, Ed, is that you found AM's response incredulous; remember, AM, he of the 'You are supposed to work for us, you plebs!'.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Perhaps more incredulous, Ed, is that you found AM's response incredulous; remember, AM, he of the 'You are supposed to work for us, you plebs!'.

Incredulous Phil  because the pleb quote was he believed made in private and his "I can't remember" quote was made fully in public and is complete and utter bullshit, I am 100% sure that had he been made aware of these serious allegations against a household worldwide British institution such as Oxfam it would be something that nobody would ever forget, it's bullshit and once more shows the arrogance of the man that he expects us to swallow that bullshit.

On 2/10/2018 at 14:50, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I note that Justine Greening appears to be suffering from the same form of amnesia.

50 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

I don't hold any torch for AM but wasn't a police officer prosecuted for making up the 'plebs' comment?

Absolutely and totally not my friend, several officers were prosecuted for claiming they were privy to the argument between Mitchell and the police but were not in fact actually even there and also I believe altering logs, which is a disgrace.

However Mitchell was found by a judge at libel proceedings to be lying when he denied making the 'pleb' remark because he believed that the said police officer that the remark was aimed at (who was never ever prosecuted) did not have the 'wit' to invent the remark, costs and damages awarded against Mitchell.

The only tory trait missing now is the Jeffrey Archer arrogance trait of appealing and risk losing again and eventually going to prison.

Wasn't covered up that much, Es. Oxfam sent out a press release in 2011 saying they'd dismissed 6 workers for misconduct.

The problem at the organisation lies in the fact that the exact nature of the misconduct was kept opaque, the senior guy out there was allowed to resign (and get another charity job) and local authorities were not informed.   Can't really blame the current CEO though - he wasn't with the charity when the abuse and dismissals took place.

It's not just Oxfam though of course. You read about this a lot, not just aid workers embroiled, but church aid workers/missionaries, teachers, businessmen, even UN peacekeepers.

The problem is when you have countries so poor that anything can be procured there for a fiver, predators will always be attracted.

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Wasn't covered up that much, Es. Oxfam sent out a press release in 2011 saying they'd dismissed 6 workers for misconduct.

The problem at the organisation lies in the fact that the exact nature of the misconduct was kept opaque, the senior guy out there was allowed to resign (and get another charity job) and local authorities were not informed.   Can't really blame the current CEO though - he wasn't with the charity when the abuse and dismissals took place.

It's not just Oxfam though of course. You read about this a lot, not just aid workers embroiled, but church aid workers/missionaries, teachers, businessmen, even UN peacekeepers.

The problem is when you have countries so poor that anything can be procured there for a fiver, predators will always be attracted.

I would say that if it wasn't a huge media story then it was covered up and as you rightly say allowing the accused to not only move on elsewhere with other aid agencies but also not to be reported to the relevant police forces to decide whether any offences had been committed.

And you are also right that it's not just Oxfam but like the expenses scandal, when one gets catched the rest start to fall.

The best bit is listening to the inevitable pathetic squirming by officials and politicians in either a not me guv stance or "I can't remember".

Archived