IGNORED

Frank Fielding - Not Forgotten...

Lordofthebling

I find it so utterly frustrating how poor his kicking is with such fantastic reflexes. He would be a prem keeper if he had kicking ability IMO. 

But, what on earth can we do about it? He must practice kicking, and he knows it's a problem, yet it doesn't improve. Will it ever?

Although, I think his kicking has perhaps been given an overly hard time today as the conditions were piss poor for long balls, and he will need a while to ease himself back in to his full kicking ability (which isn't much!!!) after his injury. 

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Just as well that we've got 2 good ones then. 

Who would they be then?

FF is not upto it. He’s one of several we have who are average. His distribution and general kicking is not good enough.

He might be a shot stopper but if he was able to hold the ball in the first place he wouldn’t need to stop so many shots.

His kicking has always been poor, today was worse than normal. What I don't understand is knowing how poor his kicking is why do we persist in this tactic of kicking it out wide. I'm not sure of the benefit of it when done well but when our keeper kicks it out of play as much as in play then i just don't get it

2 hours ago, brady bunch said:

Kicking was beyond a joke

Yes have to agree he must have kicked it straight  out of play maybe 8 to 9 times. Better if he just threw it out to one of our team. Redeemed himself with the point blank save or we would have lost 4-3 today. But it feels like a loss anyway.  

25 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry you never saw Gibson or Cashley in their prime

If we are serious about promotion we need better than Fielding and Steele imo

Spot on. FF ain’t good enough. Steele is better imo but he ain’t good enough either.

Sadly and based on today’s performance they aren’t alone.

8 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Unbelievable save. Shame his command of the box and kicking are so poor, but his reflexes are second to none.

Too true doesent command the box his kicking im sure he could play for Bristol Rugby the save he made was from his own mistake in parrying the ball out if hes better than Steele il eat my hat

When he not could keep the ball in the first save it was a deflection. The second save was unbelievible! Their player could not understand it was real. FF have saved many points for us this season. Kicking the ball he is no good but his work is nr one to save the goal. FF is a very good goalkeeper, he have won leauge one and been nr1 for us since leauge one. Dont think we can blame FF when we not are winning.

I agree the kicking is bad - it's obviously a tactic to hit it to the flanks.  I wonder if he's told to overhit it just in case we get hit on the break (with Flint out wide). Surely with training this wouldve got better?

With Diony and Fammy up top yesterday, no reason it couldn't go straight down the middle old school style... 

4 hours ago, Lordofthebling said:

I agree the kicking is bad - it's obviously a tactic to hit it to the flanks.  I wonder if he's told to overhit it just in case we get hit on the break (with Flint out wide). Surely with training this wouldve got better?

With Diony and Fammy up top yesterday, no reason it couldn't go straight down the middle old school style... 

I agree the kicking is bad - it's obviously a tactic to hit it to the flanks.  I wonder if he's told to over hit it just in case we get hit on the break ... If he under hits City will be out of shape Over hit it the team will be in a better shape to defend the throw in.

Surely with training this wouldve got better? How much training will a Keeper had to reach professional level? It is thousands and thousands of hours. Getting marginally better is obviously possible, but making good what is a primary function of a goal keeper could be a Herculean task. Top Keepers and the future goal keeping player have that thousands and thousands of hours working on that 70% (playing with the feet) of their game from an early age behind them. 

23 minutes ago, SDBS36 said:

Distribution is his problem, so why not just put it down the centre instead of out to the wings where we just hand back procession

Its debatable for some, but statistics back up its better to concede possession in the form of a throw in fifty metres away from goal than concede possession from a contested ball up the centre. If the team splits in an effort to play through the thirds and the Keeper goes up the centre and the ball is lost the team is in a far poorer shape to defend. Mr Johnson may be influenced by either.

17 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

The majority of a Keepers game is played with the feet now. If a Keeper is not good at the majority of his game???

Is the wrong attitude imo. You can teach someone to kick a ball (with perseverance), but you can't teach them how to have instinctive reflexes to deflect a ball away from goal. As is the case whenever an outfield player goes in goal.

25 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Its debatable for some, but statistics back up its better to concede possession in the form of a throw in fifty metres away from goal than concede possession from a contested ball up the centre. If the team splits in an effort to play through the thirds and the Keeper goes up the centre and the ball is lost the team is in a far poorer shape to defend. Mr Johnson may be influenced by either.

Fair point I,Vee not considered was just looking at the number of times the ball is put straight out of play

17 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry you never saw Gibson or Cashley in their prime

If we are serious about promotion we need better than Fielding and Steele imo

I did. Take off your rose-tinted retrospective spectacles.

Like Fielding, Cashley was a good shot stopper with fantastic reflexes and a left foot which would put the ball into orbit - but  there was little or no precision shown. He was an OK keeper but, by his own admission, he was never a natural in that position. Shaw was better imo.

I loved Gibson - he too was a good reflex keeper and although he was on the short side, it didn't seem to impair him. Gibson never played in the First Division - most of his career was played in Division Three.

Comparisons of our present keepers with those from forty and fifty years ago is futile and does us older supporters a disservice. The game is much different now especially for keepers - Gibson and Cashley could pick up balls passed back to them and always did - seldom did they kick a ball in play from the floor; today keepers are rated as much on their distribution skills as their shot stopping ... as this thread shows.

Fielding is a very good keeper in the Championship and we are lucky to have him as our number one. Yes, he has weaknesses in his game - but far more strengths.

Am I the only one who thinks that Fielding's distribution is actually better than Steele's? Love to know the statistics.

The save at Sheffield and yesterday's save were outstanding. And yes, he reacted brilliantly to the deflection off Flint.

We have two good Championship keepers. Both probably lack the presence and dominance to be considered the best in the Championship, but we are lucky to have them. There are many who are worse than them and Frankie has seen off quite a few challengers to his number 1 spot who have obviously not been as good as him.

@Rudolf Hucker good summary.  I never saw Gibson.  Cashley was an outfield player for Bristol Boys...not sure what age he converted to a keeper.

42 minutes ago, Dead Red said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Fielding's distribution is actually better than Steele's? Love to know the statistics.

The save at Sheffield and yesterday's save were outstanding. And yes, he reacted brilliantly to the deflection off Flint.

We have two good Championship keepers. Both probably lack the presence and dominance to be considered the best in the Championship, but we are lucky to have them. There are many who are worse than them and Frankie has seen off quite a few challengers to his number 1 spot who have obviously not been as good as him.

I think you have to judge FF’s Kicking in two areas

• dead ball - good distance, but in Kicking to the tactic of the boss he kicks too many into touch.  Can he adjust his aim 5-10 yards in?  Might be be better going right wing (golfer’s draw to the left going further out?)?
  • in open play - one of the better keepers in the division.

20 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

The majority of a Keepers game is played with the feet now. If a Keeper is not good at the majority of his game???

How many goalies you seen this season in this league consistently ‘good’ with their kicking?

Fielding can play in short, but long balls aren’t all that amazing, probs decent at best. 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

How many goalies you seen this season in this league consistently ‘good’ with their kicking?

Fielding can play in short, but long balls aren’t all that amazing, probs decent at best. 

Button, Bentley German bloke at Leeds. I do not think Fieldings short game is all that because he rarely becomes an option or joins in outside the box. its a disadvantage when trying to play out. Fulham keeper is an extra outfield player.

3 hours ago, Dead Red said:

Steele (65%) is more accurate than Fielding (59%). Both also have similar distribution lengths. Neither is particularly good or bad. Devil is in the detail. Best performers are at Fulham (70%+) who play shortest, and worst are at clubs who play longer excluding Alnwick at Bolton whose accuracy outperforms Keepers playing the ball ten metres shorter.

On 10/02/2018 at 19:51, Williams' Penalty said:

I find it so utterly frustrating how poor his kicking is with such fantastic reflexes. He would be a prem keeper if he had kicking ability IMO. 

But, what on earth can we do about it? He must practice kicking, and he knows it's a problem, yet it doesn't improve. Will it ever?

Although, I think his kicking has perhaps been given an overly hard time today as the conditions were piss poor for long balls, and he will need a while to ease himself back in to his full kicking ability (which isn't much!!!) after his injury. 

Send it down the middle of the pitch where Diedhiou is a good header of the ball. Simple!

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Steele (65%) is more accurate than Fielding (59%). Both also have similar distribution lengths. Neither is particularly good or bad. Devil is in the detail. Best performers are at Fulham (70%+) who play shortest, and worst are at clubs who play longer excluding Alnwick at Bolton whose accuracy outperforms Keepers playing the ball ten metres shorter.

I've watched football all of my life but wtf does this mean and wtf does it prove? Asking for a friend.

10 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I've watched football all of my life but wtf does this mean and wtf does it prove? Asking for a friend.

It depends on how you want your team and Keeper to perform. Want to go long Archer at Millwall and Alnwick at Bolton will hit their target more frequently. Want to play short and to feet through the thirds using the Keeper to assist in Keeping the ball moving it follows to have a Keeper having that skill set. 

An example of the latter is  Bravo and Ederson at Man City. They have passing stats of outfield players because the style of the team necessitates it. Joe Hart did not have that ability so was replaced.

9 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It depends on how you want your team and Keeper to perform. Want to go long Archer at Millwall and Alnwick at Bolton will hit their target more frequently. Want to play short and to feet through the thirds using the Keeper to assist in Keeping the ball moving it follows to have a Keeper having that skill set. 

An example of the latter is  Bravo and Ederson at Man City. They have passing stats of outfield players because the style of the team necessitates it. Joe Hart did not have that ability so was replaced.

Where do you get your stats from out of interest? 

Archived