IGNORED

lj comments

Londoner

8 minutes ago, Swede said:

I would second that sentiment.

We have had a fantastic season and with a bit more luck of the draw could've had a Wembley final to look forward to.

Like I said before some people on here need to wind it in a little. What he has done for this club on and off the pitch is absolutely marvellous. He is always courteous win lose or draw.

LJ has been really honest in his assessment, why can't people understand it and accept it. It shows he's a Bristol City fan as well judging by how upset he was.

Show me someone who doesn't make mistakes . . .

As for not learning from previous mistakes like last year's Derby 3:3 have a look at where we are in the table now!

We ARE punching above our weight and I believe finishing eighth or ninth would represent a successful season.

I don't think we have enough quality in depth at the moment to be without a Baker, COD or as proved yesterday, Bobby Reid . . . But we are getting there.

It is up to the likes of Moore,Walsh, Kelly, Hinds & Morrell to get up to speed so that we don't miss these important players as much as we do now.

don't you mean COULD have a Wembley final to look forward to.

47 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Of course I understand why he said it to the press. I haven' questioned the reasoning behind it once. 

As for the digs you fall in the otib habit of being very very wrong. No suprises there.

If you understood why he had said it, you would not have started the topic. I have not said you have questioned the reasoning behind it. I have said you don't understand the reasoning behind it, which is a very different thing. I'm sure you think you do as you strike me as someone with a great deal of certainty in everything you do and think. Unfortunately that is a very different thing to everything you do and think being correct.

I'm not going to try to change your mind or convince you are wrong because I do not believe it is possible at this moment and it is none of my business what you think or believe. I just thought you might want to be aware that, whilst you are going around proclaiming everyone to be wrong about a subject you do not fully understand, some of us are reading your comments and chuckling to ourselves about your naivety and the gaping gaps in your knowledge. Perhaps one day you will look back at this thread and understand precisely why. Although hopefully, by that point, you will have far better things to do with your time.

I wish you well either way. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

If you understood why he had said it, you would not have started the topic. I have not said you have questioned the reasoning behind it I have said you don't understand the reasoning behind it, which is a very different thing. I'm sure you think you do as you strike me as someone with a great deal of certainty in everything you do and think. Unfortunately that is a very different thing to everything you do and think being correct.

I'm not going to try to change your mind or convince you are wrong because I do not believe it is possible at this moment and it is none of my business what you think or believe. I just thought you might want to be aware that, whilst you are going around proclaiming everyone to be wrong about a subject you do not fully understand, some of us are reading your comments and chuckling to ourselves about your naivety and the gaping gaps in your knowledge. Perhaps one day you will look back at this thread and understand precisely why. Although hopefully, by that point, you will have far better things to do with your time.

I wish you well either way. 

Sadly it’s pretty pointless with Londoner. He’s one of those shrills who’s post frequency goes up when things aren’t going well.

I don’t mind people having a less than favourable view about our team or management, but it’s his condescending tone which is irritating. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sadly it’s pretty pointless with Londoner. He’s one of those shrills who’s post frequency goes up when things aren’t going well.

I don’t mind people having a less than favourable view about our team or management, but it’s his condescending tone which is irritating. 

No need to get irritated control yourself.

1 minute ago, Londoner said:

Haha, doesn’t bother me really Londoner. I just think you should speak to people a bit more respectfully.

Saying people ‘don’t understand the game’ as you often do or implying that you’re more intelligent because you’re an ‘academic’ is unnecessary. 

Would it kill you to show a bit more decorum?

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Haha, doesn’t bother me really Londoner. I just think you should speak to people a bit more respectfully.

Saying people ‘don’t understand the game’ as you often do or implying that you’re more intelligent because you’re an ‘academic’ is unnecessary. 

Would it kill you to show a bit more decorum?

Sorry but I only speak the truth, or my interpretation of it. And we both know this forum does have people who clearly have no understanding of championship football. 

I' rather be honest and open.

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I find it a bit easier to suffer condescending people when they regularly demonstrate a knowledge and understanding that others do not have. It still does not make it okay but at least you can understand it.

Londoner has never to my knowledge posted anything that demonstrates any entitlement at all to be condescending. He has a reasonable knowledge of football - better than some on here, I'm sure, and worse than others.  I could name five or six posters who really show a detailed knowledge of the game and he certainly would not be on the list. And, as I said in my post, on topics like this he just shows fundamental gaps in his knowledge and understanding. He seems very certain of himself so would never acknowledge being wrong but failure to understand and learn from when you are wrong is a very different thing to actually being right. 

I'm not all all irritated by it. I just think that, if I was making a fool out of myself on a message board and someone was laughing at me as a result, I'd like someone to gently point that out. Having done that - and the hint having not been taken - I'll happily retreat to my usual combination of paying little attention most things he posts and then occasionally laughing at him from afar. 

17 minutes ago, Londoner said:

But you do seem a bit of a hot head, it is only football, think back when we were 3-0 down at Coventry only to draw level at 3-3 only to lose 3-4, that was horrible, but we all learn a few lessons along the way, as is our coach, he will learn, you don't learn as much from success as you do failure.

In truth we will probably not make the top 6, but the improvements have been huge, we have a good 'rep for being a football Club that plays the game the right way, we are not Man City, just yet, but we BCFC a flawed Diamond, and that's why we are City  

5 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

But you do seem a bit of a hot head, it is only football, think back when we were 3-0 down at Coventry only to draw level at 3-3 only to lose 3-4, that was horrible, but we all learn a few lessons along the way, as is our coach, he will learn, you don't learn as much from success as you do failure.

In truth we will probably not make the top 6, but the improvements have been huge, we have a good 'rep for being a football Club that plays the game the right way, we are not Man City, just yet, but we BCFC a flawed Diamond, and that's why we are City  

Unfortunately we have a great opportunity this year but we have made mistakes that have hindered our opportunity. January transfer market for a start. 

if reid had to come off,why not put maggers on and get korey back in midfield behind fammy. last thing we need is diony learning the ropes at the moment when we need some wins to push for the playoffs. wont be long before we are 7th,8th,or below at this rate,from a magnificent 2nd a few weeks ago

15 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I don't think you can argue with him saying he got the tactics wrong.

However he keeps saying 'we'll learn from that' which is where I would have a problem. We've all seen us throw away good leads over the last few seasons. If he didn't learn from the numerous times it happened last season then why should we assume he will now?

Seems to be some fundamental weakness in our dna that comes back to haunt us. Whether that really is LJ's fault I would say is open to question. Maybe he just wanted to avoid the players taking the blame and confidence sinking even more.

I think us City fans see every dropped point as being someone or a collective of someone’s fault.  LJ has come out and accepted blame yet for the OP, that isn’t good enough.  3-0 up at h-t....there will of course be lots who thought we must’ve played well to be 3-Up.  We weren’t great, but were pretty clinical, apart from Diedhiou’s Chance where he didn’t name contact.  We didn’t play that badly in the second half, but goals for and against influence opinions.  I think fair play for LJ to come out and be as honest as he was.  Going back to my first sentence, we have unrealistic expectations.  There are only 4 sides in this league who’ve not dropped points in over 50% of their games.  That must mean there are many managers £€%&ing up their decisions most weeks....and you can include 3 of the top 4 in that too.  Of course we should’ve won.  We didn’t.  It’s tough to take.  I was gutted.  It happens.

12 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Our form has been very poor in the league since Christmas. And it had coincided with LJ chopping & changing the team.

Once Baker is back, lets just play our best team (see below) & bring players like Kent on as impact substitutes.

Fielding

Wright      Flint   Baker  Magnússon

Brownhill      Smith    Pack      Bryan

Reid       Diedhoui

And once Pisano is fit, you can swap him for Wright.  Otherwise I totally agree.

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don’t like posting catty or disprespectful comments about other posters but you are being so unnecessarily arrogant that I will just say what needs to be said.

I have no idea what LJ said to his players but, if you do not understand why he said what he said to the press, then what that  leads me to assume is that you lack experience and aptitide for managing people, leading teams or of communicating to the media. As someone who does all three on occasion, I understand exactly why LJ made the comments he did and I think it is smart people management. I would not put this in these terms to any other poster but, as you have started dishing out insults, it is worth saying all you have revealed on this thread is that you have a lot to learn about people management. And if, as I suspect, you have never managed people before then perhaps it would be a good idea to try it and learn a bit about it before starting threads like this in the future?

If his real life persona is like his OTIB one, then I think you must be correct, however some people hide being the internet!

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Every manager makes mistakes....very few come out and are honest as LJ in every post match summary. He's done brilliantly to get us in the top 6 all season playing attractive entertaining football.

I totally understand why he did what he did at half time yesterday.

Sunderland were by far the worst team I've seen this season first half. I even thought...'go for the throat, and sort our GD difference out after the Villa game'.

What he didn't realise, or perhaps trusted too much, was the performance of Diony. His performance completely changed our dynamic and how we played. He influenced the game massively negatively. It effected everything we did completely.

He would have seen that...however...how can you sub, a sub, who is massively low on confidence? You are going to destroy him. So he gambled. As many a manager would have in his situation.

The biggest mistake was to have shut up shop at 3-1 and bring Walsh and Magners on sooner. He's admitted that.

Yes, a day to forget tactically...but still in the top 6 and only 6 points off second place. It's still all to play for.

The bloke needs a medal for the season he's given us after only 2 seasons...not slagging off.

What was so bad about Diony’s performance?  Is he the scapegoat today?  On another topic someone said he was rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.  That’s not how I saw his performance yesterday.  Not saying he was great, but I thought he linked up well at times and the result has influenced propke’s Views.  I heard on the radio how someone single out a misplaced pass to put Pato in...jeez, we misplaced passes all over but someone chooses to single out one player’s pass.  Nobody notice anything good he did?  Nope....he got balls into him, controlled and moved it on, the lob to Kent, who should’ve scored etc.  The reason for us conceding 3 yesterday was the lavk If application in getting back behind the ball, especially our wide players.

Agree about shutting up shop at 3-1...or at least bringing fresh legs on.  Diedhiou was out on his arse.  Pato looked leggy.

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Also; just to clarify - people saying “he never learns”; below is the table last year after we blew a three goal lead at Derby, and as it stands today, which is pretty much the same point of the season.

I’d suggest the proof he’s learnt and we’ve improved overall is pretty obvious.

D6DE8E6C-AAA4-4C40-86E1-A382F65F132C.jpeg

95DA3D6C-E915-40A2-92C0-317381B32761.jpeg

Just using this to point at my earlier comment that lots of managers have made lots of mistakes....look at his many games aren’t in the W column.

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I find it a bit easier to suffer condescending people when they regularly demonstrate a knowledge and understanding that others do not have. It still does not make it okay but at least you can understand it.

Londoner has never to my knowledge posted anything that demonstrates any entitlement at all to be condescending. He has a reasonable knowledge of football - better than some on here, I'm sure, and worse than others.  I could name five or six posters who really show a detailed knowledge of the game and he certainly would not be on the list. And, as I said in my post, on topics like this he just shows fundamental gaps in his knowledge and understanding. He seems very certain of himself so would never acknowledge being wrong but failure to understand and learn from when you are wrong is a very different thing to actually being right. 

I'm not all all irritated by it. I just think that, if I was making a fool out of myself on a message board and someone was laughing at me as a result, I'd like someone to gently point that out. Having done that - and the hint having not been taken - I'll happily retreat to my usual combination of paying little attention most things he posts and then occasionally laughing at him from afar. 

Yes actually, irritating was the wrong word. I actually enjoy his threads in a 'love to hate them' kind of way - although threads from Londoner usually mean we've lost.

6 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

if reid had to come off,why not put maggers on and get korey back in midfield behind fammy. last thing we need is diony learning the ropes at the moment when we need some wins to push for the playoffs. wont be long before we are 7th,8th,or below at this rate,from a magnificent 2nd a few weeks ago

Korey was in midfield.

Brownhill played RB yesterday.

were you at AG yesterday?  That’s not me being rude, just wondering if perhaps you were listening on radio.

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

And that I agree with, we should have thrown the sink at the last window, too complacent. 

Its 2008 all over again. Another great chance to get to the Prem and who did we sign that window? Dele Adebola.. showed the ambition of the club and its history repeating itself again im sorry to say.

3 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

The worrying thing about yesterday is as a proffessional....those mistakes should never have happened. All this crap "we will learn from this" is just that....crap

Hes been in the job 2 years. This is his third club. He should have learned how to kill off a game a long time ago

He will never learn

And so the antI LJ  brigade start dusting down the banners, either you want a Wanock type or LJ type, I know who I prefer. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I'll bet in his limited experience that he's not been in yesterday's situation before. In the top six against a team in the DZ, 3-0 up at half time and cruising........then some of his players start showboating encouraged by cries of 'ole'......and it start to go tits up with a very unfortunate og........and LJ  later admitted that he made a tactical error, easily done in that situation.

Not if you're an experienced professional coach! 

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

But LJ isn't really. He's only been a football manager for 5 seasons and is 36 years old. In football management terms he's still a youth player, possibly being sent out to Bath City on loan by Brian Tinnion!

He is learning on the job constantly. He's shown this season he's learned. He's still a bit streaky, so I think we can confidently predict we'll have another rich run of form before the end of the season, hopefully when it counts.

Yesterday was frustrating and you should never be leading 3-0 at half time and draw the game. It's an incredibly poor result, there's no hiding from it. We're lucky other teams didn't win around us. We had an opportunity to potentially get between 7 and 9 points out of the last 3 games but ended up with 4. It's a shame and means we are forced to get better results against superior teams.. in a funny sort of way that might actually suit us better as a team.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I absolutely agree. Conte, Mourinho, Pochettino, Klopp and Wenger have all managed to get through the entire season so far without making a single tactical error at any point. There is not a single thing any of them have done in any game that anyone could point at and say was a tactical error of any kind. Liverpool have never thrown a lead away this season, Arsenal have not dropped any points in the league, Man Utd haven't lost out due to not being adventurous enough or been knocked out the League cup by a Championship team, defending champions Chelsea did not concede three goals in the last ten minutes away to a team on a terrible run of form. 

Every other manager at every club goes through entire seasons without making any mistakes whatsoever. Why can't our manager do the same?

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

But LJ isn't really. He's only been a football manager for 5 seasons and is 36 years old. In football management terms he's still a youth player, possibly being sent out to Bath City on loan by Brian Tinnion!

He is learning on the job constantly. He's shown this season he's learned. He's still a bit streaky, so I think we can confidently predict we'll have another rich run of form before the end of the season, hopefully when it counts.

Yesterday was frustrating and you should never be leading 3-0 at half time and draw the game. It's an incredibly poor result, there's no hiding from it. We're lucky other teams didn't win around us. We had an opportunity to potentially get between 7 and 9 points out of the last 3 games but ended up with 4. It's a shame and means we are forced to get better results against superior teams.. in a funny sort of way that might actually suit us better as a team.

Experienced compared to a large number of managers in this league? That could be argued especially in relation to the English league.

This lack of experience argument isn' a valid argument in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Londoner said:

Experienced compared to a large number of managers in this league? That could be argued especially in relation to the English league.

This lack of experience argument isn' a valid argument in my opinion.

It would be interesting to see a ‘years in management’ league table. I think LJ would be nearer the bottom for this league.

I don’t think it’s a huge factor really, because managers make mistakes at all levels. The point I was making was that he’s clearly learning on the job. Perhaps more in terms of man management than tactically. 

I think if you had yesterday’s result last year LJ would’ve blamed a player or the collective group for the result. In public anyway, he blamed himself. That’s progress in my eyes. I found it very uncomfortable when he singled out Magnússon and Moore last season (Preston, Ipswich).

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It would be interesting to see a ‘years in management’ league table. I think LJ would be nearer the bottom for this league.

I don’t think it’s a huge factor really, because managers make mistakes at all levels. The point I was making was that he’s clearly learning on the job. Perhaps more in terms of man management than tactically. 

I think if you had yesterday’s result last year LJ would’ve blamed a player or the collective group for the result. In public anyway, he blamed himself. That’s progress in my eyes. I found it very uncomfortable when he singled out Magnússon and Moore last season (Preston, Ipswich).

But is years in management that relevant to those who haven't managed I'm England before.....i.e. sheff Wednesday manager. 

20 minutes ago, bris red said:

Its 2008 all over again. Another great chance to get to the Prem and who did we sign that window? Dele Adebola.. showed the ambition of the club and its history repeating itself again im sorry to say.

Adebola wasn't a bad buy as such  and relatively expensive for the time (?400k) but it did seem to disrupt to some degree how we had played up to that point. Diony seems similar in that regard if used as a replacement for Bobby. And at least Adebola was scoring when we brought him.

Fortunately if Diony doesn't work out, it's only a loan unless there is some binding buy-on clause. Hopefully we weren't daft enough to agree to that or a price before seeing him at this level & how he fitted in or not.

13 hours ago, Londoner said:

This is the point. Also not helped by an inadequate January when we had the chance to get some real quality players in but decided against it.

You're right, I'm sure the thought process was "What do you reckon Steve, shall we get some quality in?"...."Nah, **** it".

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

The worrying thing about yesterday is as a proffessional....those mistakes should never have happened. All this crap "we will learn from this" is just that....crap

Hes been in the job 2 years. This is his third club. He should have learned how to kill off a game a long time ago

He will never learn

Players had multiple opportunities to kill the game off which they squandered. You make it sound like we tactically chose not to try to kill the game off, which isn't true at all. 

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

He will never learn

Learn what? When have we been 3-0 up drawn because we've kept chasing the game? Last season we saw lots of capitulations where we panicked and sat unbelievably deep. This was nothing like that. I guarantee nearly everyone was thinking at half time that we could push on and win 5 or 6 nil. 

Yes, he should have shored things up at 3-1. He has admitted he got it wrong. What more do you want? Clearly he is not so tactically inept, as you seem to suggest, that he doesn't understand that you cant always play champagne football. He just got it wrong and I for one am glad he admitted it. Not too many managers have got the balls to do so.

4 minutes ago, windmillhillred said:

Learn what? When have we been 3-0 up drawn because we've kept chasing the game? Last season we saw lots of capitulations where we panicked and sat unbelievably deep. This was nothing like that. I guarantee nearly everyone was thinking at half time that we could push on and win 5 or 6 nil. 

Yes, he should have shored things up at 3-1. He has admitted he got it wrong. What more do you want? Clearly he is not so tactically inept, as you seem to suggest, that he doesn't understand that you cant always play champagne football. He just got it wrong and I for one am glad he admitted it. Not too many managers have got the balls to do so.

I don't know why your questioning other people when you answer your points at start of 2nd paragraph

Archived