IGNORED

Diony

BCFCinNW6

1 hour ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

Does anyone know why Bobby was subbed?  I’m not saying Diony is and always will be rubbish but he was piss poor today. 

Johnson admitted post match Bobby wanted to carry on but he ( Johnson ) wanted to improve our goal difference by bringing Diony on.....it backfired though bigtime.:facepalm:

So what are we supposed to write? Today was a shocking performance, and his two previous cameos have also been very unimpressive. Woodrow gets stick on here, but he has not performed that badly, and just his running and movement today would have been an improvement. Maybe the guy has talent, who knows? But with just 15 games left we don't really have time to carry him until we find out. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's like groundhog day on here. It's 2018 and people are STILL writing off signings ridiculously quickly.

Matt Smith and Diedhiou proving them convincingly wrong after premature judgements should teach people not to do it.. but still here we are.

Clearly rusty, not on the same wavelength as the players and his movement isn't where it should be - all of those things improve with game-time.

Better get "Tin Man" to oil those rusty joints pretty quick then.

28 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I know. It Effing infuriates me listening to 5hit like 'it will still be a great season if we finish mid table', like these opportunities come along all the time!

I've waited most of my life for another opportunity (like this one) and would be devastated if we throw it away, with performances like that today!

It will be a great season...compared to where we were last year. But as you say to be so close, talk of promotion, playoffs and cup runs has made everyone believe in something that’s not quite there yet. We certainly aren’t consistent like the teams who will get promoted eventually. If we had been mid table all season everyone would be happy, but now most are fed up as we have seemingly chucked away our dream, and so easily too.

Trouble is we all know if we fail to be promoted we will lose our top players, and you can’t blame them if they have been here several years without result. They will leave us and probably go on to better things, we will still be here hoping and waiting. Some of us will be wondering if we are ever going to make it to the Premiership.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The change in system disrupted our flow and the service to the front 2 wasn't great but. He somehow managed to look tired after 20 minutes where he barely made a run. Stood still waiting for something to happen while FD work his rocks off. Poor touch , shows very little and kept flicking at the ball instead of controlling it.
You don't get much for £9m these days.

I agree with everything you say apart from that last sentence.

Perhaps it should read "We don't get much for £9m these days."

If that's the case we ought to scout some better scouts.

2 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

We haven't paid £9m for him. Plenty of signings in the last couple of years which shows our recruitment is very decent.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

It will be a great season...compared to where we were last year. But as you say to be so close, talk of promotion, playoffs and cup runs has made everyone believe in something that’s not quite there yet. We certainly aren’t consistent like the teams who will get promoted eventually. If we had been mid table all season everyone would be happy, but now most are fed up as we have seemingly chucked away our dream, and so easily too.

Trouble is we all know if we fail to be promoted we will lose our top players, and you can’t blame them if they have been here several years without result. They will leave us and probably go on to better things, we will still be here hoping and waiting. Some of us will be wondering if we are ever going to make it to the Premiership.

Yes I agree with much of this. I think we can do this, by the playoff's or otherwise, if we can keep our heads and stay focussed for the entire game. Today was a classic eye off the ball, we are to good for them scenario.

I can't think about what may happen if we don't go up but we know this team will not be here next season if that happens.

This is our opportunity and yes remarkable in view of this time last season!

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I was going to post the same. Want him to do well but you would have hoped to see more from him by now. Only thing he did was stand next to a defender and point asking for a through ball. Does not work hard enough off the ball. Ok had a few nice touches here and there but not enough. Only thing I will say is I will give him more time. Took Fam 7-8 games to get up to speed. I know we don’t have the same luxury of time but he is the type we can afford for the time being. Proven abroad but it is a risk here. 

If you were a Scout watching him, based on the time he's played for us, you'd never sign him imo.

With Famara...you could see how he would fit given time.

Even Kent has changed his way of playing to suit our style of play. Thought he was far better today.

On first impressions of Diony, he looks way off what we want. Agree with everything you said about him.

Looked totally lost, expecting the ball over the top or through....sitting off the shoulder pointing. His positional play was appalling. No wonder the balls to him looked bad, we had no option but to pass to a poorly positioned striker.

I thought his lack of urgency, effected Famara and the whole teams energy slowed down.

He really did effect how we played...it disrupted our complete flow.

You can't write him off yet, but Johnson was right - he gave him too much game time.

Bobby had taken a knock, but clearly had run it off and indicated at h/t he was good to go on.

An extra 15 minutes may well of got us the 4th that would have put the game to bed.

A whole half of Diony and Dieudhiou - a combination that clearly doesn't work, as the Bolton game showed -  was just too much.

Certainly, I don't think Bobby (or even Engval) would have missed the sitter Diony did.

19 minutes ago, Chappers said:

So what are we supposed to write? Today was a shocking performance, and his two previous cameos have also been very unimpressive. Woodrow gets stick on here, but he has not performed that badly, and just his running and movement today would have been an improvement. Maybe the guy has talent, who knows? But with just 15 games left we don't really have time to carry him until we find out. 

I appreciate that, it would be a pretty dull forum if everyone just said "The most sensible opinion would be to consider the wider context and give him time before making a balanced judgement".

However I don't think you have to have an opinion just for the sake of it. Seems some people are a bit like the baying crowd at a Roman Colosseum determined to make a swift judgement.

I agree that we don't have time to bed players in now, but that's a different debate about our choices in the transfer window. The point in isolation is that Diony's performances have been in strange games and it's far too early to write him off. To truly appraise him.. he needs starts against different opposition in different situations. We don't really have the luxury of affording him that though.

Personally I'd prefer people to be a little less hasty.. rash judgements have come back to bite many many posters.

We needed cover up front and maybe a prospect who could become our number one striker.  Whilst I've not been madly impressed so far, give him time to settle in. He's in a different country, a different league, he's not used to English football and not used to our style yet. He also hasn't been playing much this year either.

We've signed him on loan, so won't have to pay big bucks unless he impresses.

You can see that he is making the effort, but not necessarily channeling the effort where it needs to go and he's probably going to be a bit low on confidence until he bags a goal or two.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I appreciate that, it would be a pretty dull forum if everyone just said "The most sensible opinion would be to consider the wider context and give him time before making a balanced judgement".

However I don't think you have to have an opinion just for the sake of it. Seems some people are a bit like the baying crowd at a Roman Colosseum determined to make a swift judgement.

I agree that we don't have time to bed players in now, but that's a different debate about our choices in the transfer window. The point in isolation is that Diony's performances have been in strange games and it's far too early to write him off. To truly appraise him.. he needs starts against different opposition in different situations. We don't really have the luxury of affording him that though.

Personally I'd prefer people to be a little less hasty.. rash judgements have come back to bite many many posters.

Foggy...would be interested to know what positives you've seen in him. I haven't seen anything yet...no speed, not particularly strong , even though he calls himself 'bull like', not great technically, very poor positionally, not great at heading, no composure, didn't read the game well, didn't track back as much, no energy, poor decision making.

I'd love to know what our Scouts have seen in him that would fit with our system of play.

I haven't witnessed one positive yet...even if you gave him time.

He'd have to become a completely different player to what he is now to impress.

18 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

I meant more, St Etienne didn't get much for £9m. We don't pay anything if we don't want him, and so far WE DON"T WANT HIM !!

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

If you were a Scout watching him, based on the time he's played for us, you'd never sign him imo.

With Famara...you could see how he would fit given time.

Even Kent has changed his way of playing to suit our style of play. Thought he was far better today.

On first impressions of Diony, he looks way off what we want. Agree with everything you said about him.

Looked totally lost, expecting the ball over the top or through....sitting off the shoulder pointing. His positional play was appalling. No wonder the balls to him looked bad, we had no option but to pass to a poorly positioned striker.

I thought his lack of urgency, effected Famara and the whole teams energy slowed down.

He really did effect how we played...it disrupted our complete flow.

Agree completely. It isn’t down to him that we conceded some soft goals but as you said it completely changed the way we played. I get why he came on with Bobby taking a knock and us being up 3-0 at HT. Don’t think anyone could have envisioned that least of all LJ. Just a shame Diony still looks completly lost. It is a weird one because I have never seen Engvall look as lost as Diony did today yet he can’t get the minutes. I know there are high hopes for LD but he needs to play much better than that soon or it could turn ugly. 

He reminds me of Ali Dia the player Souness signed for Saints after a tip off from so say George Weah that played with him at PSG and said this lads "good". Got a one month deal and came on as a sub versus Leeds and was consequently subbed and never seen again.I saw Diony against QPR and I really didn't see anything to suggest this bloke looks like he can be decent.

14 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Seventeen appearances for St.Etienne this season and no goals.Perhaps he didn't get the service there as well.I think we needed to get an actual goalscorer for the run in from abroad or wherever but his record doesn't auger well for now.

His  success was in a front two at Dijon .

He was played as a lone attacker at St Etienne that didn't suit his style and then as the club's record signing he got a lot of stick for his lack of goals or even assists .

He became a scapegoat at the club for their relegation form and also they changed coaches twice this season.

Now , I'm not saying that Diony is going to turn into Ronaldo overnight but how many times do we see players written off before they've had chance to settle in ? 

It just shows a complete lack of understanding of the game . 

Not every signing is going to work out but give the new lads a chance.

" When are we going to admit our record signing is misfiring ? " 

How many has he scored this year ? 

2 hours ago, Super said:

Typical of our fans writing the bloke off when he hasn't played a full game. Embarrassing.

Nobody wants to “write him off” but based on what we’ve seen so far, he’s not good enough. 

I’d love to be proved wrong!

Certainly interesting. The other players almost fell over themselves to give him assists for as clear chances as he’ll ever get. They wanted him to score. They have trained with him, especially over the past few days in Dubai, if he was as hopeless as he is showing they would have froze him out wouldn’t they, especially when the game was slipping away?

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

His  success was in a front two at Dijon .

He was played as a lone attacker at St Etienne that didn't suit his style and then as the club's record signing he got a lot of stick for his lack of goals or even assists .

He became a scapegoat at the club for their relegation form and also they changed coaches twice this season.

Now , I'm not saying that Diony is going to turn into Ronaldo overnight but how many times do we see players written off before they've had chance to settle in ? 

It just shows a complete lack of understanding of the game . 

Not every signing is going to work out but give the new lads a chance.

" When are we going to admit our record signing is misfiring ? " 

How many has he scored this year ? 

So in all honesty is there anything you have seen yet that makes you think he's a goalscorer which is why presumably we got him on loan.He didn't really do that well playing in a two today did he.

22 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

He reminds me of Ali Dia the player Souness signed for Saints after a tip off from so say George Weah that played with him at PSG and said this lads "good". Got a one month deal and came on as a sub versus Leeds and was consequently subbed and never seen again.I saw Diony against QPR and I really didn't see anything to suggest this bloke looks like he can be decent.

Perhaps he is Ali Dia in disguise.

Personally I think Engvall would've better suited the game tbh. Diedhiou isn't suited to dropping deep and I think Diony as the main target up top doesn't suit Diony either. 

Of course at half time I shrugged my shoulders at the sub and thought fair enough should work. 

21 minutes ago, TwoSheds said:

A city fan called diony pineapple head on radio Bristol after the match made me laugh. Not much to say after chucking 2 points away when all our rivals drew their games 

I heard that and (sense of humour failure), to say it once - ok. To say it two or three times was chronically disrespectful and not close to being funny when you’re supposed to be a serious caller. Would he call Bobby “cornrow top” and be afforded the same latitude?

I thought, on subject, Diony was poor today. The positive for me was his strength on a couple of occasions, and for me, undoubtedly the right decision (not in hindsight) to give him 45 but he needs to get up to speed - and fast.

21 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Nobody wants to “write him off” but based on what we’ve seen so far, he’s not good enough. 

I’d love to be proved wrong!

Like i said he hasnt played a full game yet. Try blaming the weak defenders who fell apart today.

Overseas player moves to new country and new club and playing a different system. Of course of all that should be irrelevant as he’s a footballer....from a personal perspective I moved job 3 months ago, same company, different division, same discipline. Took me two months to acclimatise and do the job. Sometimes a little perspective is needed. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Foggy...would be interested to know what positives you've seen in him. I haven't seen anything yet...no speed, not particularly strong , even though he calls himself 'bull like', not great technically, very poor positionally, not great at heading, no composure, didn't read the game well, didn't track back as much, no energy, poor decision making.

I'd love to know what our Scouts have seen in him that would fit with our system of play.

I haven't witnessed one positive yet...even if you gave him time.

He'd have to become a completely different player to what he is now to impress.

The one attribute to his game that impressed me was his ability to turn defenders who were too tight to him. More than once he rolled defenders which alowed him to run.

Archived