IGNORED

Ryan Kent

BCFCadam

I just found that whilst he does run around alot and seems to roam at will it is making it difficult for other team members to know what he is going to do. Alot of passes at the end of his runs didn't seem to go to anyone because they know where he was going.  As for his  chances on goal he seems a bit like Luke Freeman - lots of flashy runs without any end product.

First time I've seen Joe in the flesh today and he does seem to be one of those that if a pass doesn't come right to him, he won't make any effort to collect it. We all know Frankie's problems with accurate kicking but a couple of times Joe just stood and watched the ball go out rather than attempt to keep it in meaning that Sunderland then had a cheap throw  in inside our half! 

11 minutes ago, dave36 said:

You can’t put anyone in front of Bryan, he resents his position now just just as he did in the past- brilliant wing back but think back to him being swapped about with Williams, he flat refused to pass to Williams when playing behind him unless there was no other option! Big player but the big ego gets in the way sometimes

Thought his interplay with Patto in the first half was pretty good. However Kent - though exciting - is a get the ball and run full pelt for the opposition's box type of player.  Gives Bryan little options - or cover when Kent is forward.

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Kent has skill, and I like his play to a degree, but why does he keep running diagonally across the pitch? He cuts in from one side and Patterson does the same from the other. There’s nothing wrong with cutting inside, but with both Kent and Patterson in the team the only real attacking threat down the wing comes from Joe Bryan. 

Has to be LJs tactics otherwise LJ would get a message to the both of them or at least should do so. The other problem with them cutting in is that there is no space where they are heading and acres outside.

Strange how we all see it differently. I think he is starting to step up now, and looking quality on the ball. From dodgy start getting stronger. Hope Diony can emulate RK. He was really rated at Barnsley and I feel that he will contribute more. Like others on this thread I thought he was the pick of the bunch.

33 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Thought his interplay with Patto in the first half was pretty good. However Kent - though exciting - is a get the ball and run full pelt for the opposition's box type of player.  Gives Bryan little options - or cover when Kent is forward.

It was, if only Pato was up for it, how many times did he actually turn those passes into a chance, poor again, not really been there since the bug put him in hospital - the spark not been there since, other than a few darting runs, which have shown what he really is capable of!

Fitness? Motivation? Attitude?

Obviously varying opinions about our two Jan loanees, but not that our one signing couldn't get a starting place today despite our injury list.

They certainly, none of them, brought in to take us over the line.

That is what some of us are really concerned about.  Will we have such a chance again in near future of going up?

12 minutes ago, dave36 said:

It was, if only Pato was up for it, how many times did he actually turn those passes into a chance, poor again, not really been there since the bug put him in hospital - the spark not been there since, other than a few darting runs, which have shown what he really is capable of!

The trouble is - which midfielder can we put in if Pato is rested? Liam Walsh - I think not. Doesn't do the same thing, not quite ready for the fray.

To my mind, although Brownhill was more than competent in the first half in defence, we have little choice next match but to drop Paterson to the bench, play Kent in front of Wright & Brownhill in front of Bryan and add either Hörður or Lloyd Kelly to defence.

28 minutes ago, dave36 said:

But where  is Path playing now? Was he not most effective in a sort of free role behind BR. He was outstanding in those games.  When he is wider he is not as effective 

1 hour ago, Midred said:

I just found that whilst he does run around alot and seems to roam at will it is making it difficult for other team members to know what he is going to do. Alot of passes at the end of his runs didn't seem to go to anyone because they know where he was going.  As for his  chances on goal he seems a bit like Luke Freeman - lots of flashy runs without any end product.

No end product? Remind me who put it on a plate for Fam,'s second?

9 hours ago, redsfan said:

Seems like Kent is exactly the same player he was at Barnsley where he divided opinion like no other player in recent memory. People either loved him because of his ability to run with the ball or found him intensely frustrating because of his zero end product.

9 hours ago, redsfan said:

I think he is a talent but suspect he will always be frustrating. Lets face it, if he had an end product to go with his ball skills and attacking ability he would be in the first team squad at Liverpool. 

no end product?  He got the assist for Fammy's 2nd. Yes he could have squared it for Pato after another great break (Pato in current form would have missed it anyway), but a great block from the defender stopped his shot, and his first time shot across the goal had the keeper beaten but missed by about 12 inches. Without COD, we have nobody else who can run with the ball and go past players. 

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

no end product?  He got the assist for Fammy's 2nd. Yes he could have squared it for Pato after another great break (Pato in current form would have missed it anyway), but a great block from the defender stopped his shot, and his first time shot across the goal had the keeper beaten but missed by about 12 inches. Without COD, we have nobody else who can run with the ball and go past players. 

Paterson can but he's not been doing it for a while. Bobby Reid is often very capable in that respect too.

Judging by some of the disparaging comments Kent seems to be very much a marmite player.

I don't get the criticism of his performance yesterday, to me he was one of our better players, but others obviously viewed him very differently.

We like to play a passing game but when that gets bogged down it's important we have someone out there who can then change the pace of the game, run at the opposition and take the ball into areas we can hurt them.

Kent could do with a goal and perhaps that explains his eagerness to shoot when it appeared from the stands a pass to Paterson would be the better option. Real shame about the shot just past the post - that would have clinched the points, brought the house down, and reviews on Kent's performance would surely have been universally positive.

I see Kent as an asset, and likely to be an increasing one as he continues to settle in.

Far too greedy on the ball for me. I can't back it up so it could be nonsense but he strikes me as someone who thinks he's above this level. When in reality, his dribbling is great but he can't produce much. Good assist for the goal but on a few occasions, instead of playing for the team, he just runs with the ball until he has no option but to pass. The shot when he should have passed to Pato epitomised him for me.

17 hours ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

Has upset the balance of the 11 for me. Poor decision making on a number of occasions. I think a few get over excited because he travels with the ball some distance yet end product is far from consistent. Pleading for him to go outside his man but appears to want to come inside into congestion. 

Yes like when shooting while Patterson outside him unmarked and in a better position 

17 hours ago, 054123 said:

He wasn't. Bobby Reid was and he was only 45 mins.

Patterson had just as much impact as Kent and Famara did everything he could today.

Kent wasn't awful but no Better than anyone else.

Bobby did very little for 20 minutes, got kicked, and was sparked into life.  For that 25 minutes he was very good I accept.  Paterson looked fine but didn’t seem to have that bit of spark / energy to go past people and get away.

I thought Kent had a good game, in and around our good things, but....see later.

17 hours ago, cityshippers said:

Problem is i think he does slightly alter how we play which has left JB one on one far two many times lately. A lot of our goals against seem to come down Joes side and imo its because he is left exposed.

See next response.

15 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Kent in front of Wright; Pato in front of Bryan (or centrally with Brownhill in front of Bryan) please.

The difference between the two halves today (apart from the sluggish pairing up front in the second half) was that Coleman moved their 29 (Arsoro) up.   He was by far their best player and with Kent miles upfield, it was one on ones with Bryan all the time and although Joe was awesome going forward he again didn't have his best defensive performance. 

So we started the game with Pato ahead of Bryan and Kent ahead of Brownhill.  Kent’s starting position is a bit high, but that should allow Josh more space.

Why did they swap?  And in swapping why do they play more behind the strikers than wide.  Pato and Kent lost us our shape, nor did they track back enough in the second half, leaving Joe isolated.  Joe actually was very casual first half (I’m getting a bit frustrated by this), but first 20 minutes of second half he was back on it.  But as a result, I think our wide players thought they didn’t need to help out.  Poor!

1 hour ago, eric04 said:

Kent played well. 1 assist, shot that grazed the post (I think), and caused them quite a lot of problems. However it’s the defensive side of his game he really needs to sharpen up. All their threat came from Asoro down that side. 

Spot on.  Great going forward, a lot to learn on the dirty side of the game.  Positives outweighed negatives for me today.  Still finding his feet.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Kent is improving by the game but he needs a rocket up his arse for not releasing Paterson and shooting instead.

How old is he?  A lad for sure and what do lads do when in a new job? Try to impress.....and thats what he was doing yesterday and he missed opportunities to put team mates in but that what you get from young inexperienced lads.

He'll learn as he gets more game time.

8 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

This forum makes me laugh. One players problem for a team game.

Shall we now start on Joe Bryan for their last goal - got done like a kipper. Very Poor for a supposedly premiership defender.

£7 million in summer - I would snap any suitors hand off! Very very inconsistent.

Totally. 

Flints poor square pass took our best CH out for 3 games. His clearance headers yesterday just went anywhere. 6-10 mil really? 

Bobby the only consistent one who could make (deservedly so) any impact at Premier league level. 

LJ needs to sort it quick or mid table is looming. 3 first teamers need to be benched lm afraid and give Engvall, Magers, Elliason and perhaps Steele proper opportunities. 

Talk of Pisano is premature, can anyone not see players still carrying knocks or ill between games should be left out... 

Archived