IGNORED

Nyerere Kelly, Peter Styvar, Bas Savage...

The Dolman Pragmatist

Very, very harsh.

He was poor tonight, that is clear. But, he's not played much football, looks utterly bereft of confidence, with new team mates, a new fanbase behind him demanding he hits the ground running, probably not with his family, a whole new environment. Add to that he had piss poor service and it's hard to expect him to be banging in the goals.

Lets go a bit ******* easy on him yeah?

4 minutes ago, Tiree said:

Some posters love to be negative just read 90% of OTiB a year ago

This isn't even 1% representative of City fans but the quality of input has improved significantly in the past year.

I would say the division hardly changed yesterday and a lot of +s from going 3-0 up, just as at Derby last season before the same score

It takes all sorts but I still think we're in for a good ride in the business end of the season.

I hope so!

2 hours ago, windmillhillred said:

Least pragmatic post I've ever seen.

Can’t say I felt terribly pragmatic after that one!  I have watched every moment that Diony has played for us, and I have seen absolutely nothing that suggests that he has the slightest right to be on the pitch in the Championship.  The words ‘Ali Dia’ kept going through my mind this afternoon (well that and a few other things).  Didn’t an Italian club once sign Luther Blissett thinking they were getting John Barnes?  I believe we signed Diony thinking we were getting a €9m player.

I hope I’ll feel better tomorrow, but frankly today has not been a good day.  My son’s team lost 8-1 to Melksham under-9s; City surrender a three-goal lead; the gas come from behind to win;  Wales are cheated out of victory by a bent video referee; and Donald Trump is still leader of the free world.

3 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Very, very harsh.

He was poor tonight, that is clear. But, he's not played much football, looks utterly bereft of confidence, with new team mates, a new fanbase behind him demanding he hits the ground running, probably not with his family, a whole new environment. Add to that he had piss poor service and it's hard to expect him to be banging in the goals.

Lets go a bit ******* easy on him yeah?

Trouble is he is only on loan so by the time he is finding his feet it will be time to go back. Why loan a player in from a foreign league / country who hasn’t played much lately when we needed someone who knew the division and could hit the ground running. 

He looks like a punt that might not work out to me but hopefully I’m wrong.

12 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Can’t say I felt terribly pragmatic after that one!  I have watched every moment that Diony has played for us, and I have seen absolutely nothing that suggests that he has the slightest right to be on the pitch in the Championship.  The words ‘Ali Dia’ kept going through my mind this afternoon (well that and a few other things).  Didn’t an Italian club once sign Luther Blissett thinking they were getting John Barnes?  I believe we signed Diony thinking we were getting a €9m player.

I hope I’ll feel better tomorrow, but frankly today has not been a good day.  My son’s team lost 8-1 to Melksham under-9s; City surrender a three-goal lead; the gas come from behind to win;  Wales are cheated out of victory by a bent video referee; and Donald Trump is still leader of the free world.

I almost felt sorry for you, then rugby was brought into the equation and that sounded like sour grapes, so up till then you were getting the sympathy vote then you lost it!

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Let’s hope this is your @Marina's Rolls Royce moment..

Clearly not.

I gave seasoned Championship player Matt Smith 4 games each of which he played 90 minutes- and all of which I attended. My considered opinion albeit a wrong one was that he was awful- no comparisons or personal insults.

Diony has played a couple of half games in a new League in a different country which,imo, is somewhat different.

Only game time will tell whether Lois is good enough or not and depending on that I'm sure which ever way it goes- someone will be very publicly patting themselves on the back for getting it right.

6 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Clearly not.

I gave seasoned Championship player Matt Smith 4 games each of which he played 90 minutes- and all of which I attended. My considered opinion albeit a wrong one was that he was awful- no comparisons or personal insults.

Diony has played a couple of half games in a new League in a different country which,imo, is somewhat different.

Only game time will tell whether Lois is good enough or not and depending on that I'm sure which ever way it goes- someone will be very publicly patting themselves on the back for getting it right.

Not how I remember it!

However Diony so far has shown nothing. Smith showed rather more in the early period by comparison, your assessment was just off the mark. 

Either way fingers crossed for the next 15 games right!?

23 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Clearly not.

It was pretty obvious what I was saying - similar to yours, this could be a thread making a premature judgement on a player that proves to be wrong and is remembered for years. Many on here remember your Smith thread for that reason and should be a lesson to everyone not to be so hasty.

For the record he’d played just one season in the championship before coming here and had played for a total of 164 minutes over 4 matches when you made your thread so not 4 full games.

I do agree with you that Diony needs more time and it’s sad to see people so eager to write him off. 85 mins of football, new country, second language, new teammates, new tactics, he has flu this week too. 

A guy with a £9 Million price tag and who hasn't fitted in at the club he is currently with and who hasn't scored a single goal has moved to a side near the top of their division and who can provide better service. He is on loan with a view to a permanent move. He has played against arguably the two of the worst teams in this division and has done practically nothing. If anyone thinks that isn't a concern are being a bit  naive in my opinion. We haven't got until April to sort out our form, we need to address it now, and this guy is supposed to be a good player. Can't see it myself so far. The signing was a massive gamble. Stroke of genius if it pays off. Nightmare if it doesn't. Form is important at this stage of the season though and the games are running out.

We needed somebody to hit the ground running. I questioned his pretty non existent form this season when we signed him and was shot down.. you only have to look at who our promotion rivals have signed up top to see that Diony was a bit of a dumb gamble at this stage of the season....

12 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

He may have had a cold this week, but it is most unlikely he has had flu. Apart from the fact you can hardly get out of bed for a few days, any form of physical exertion is nigh on impossible. 2 to 3 weeks just to get well enough to start gentle training after "real" flu I would think.

So why play him? Why not play Engvall?

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

So why play him? Why not play Engvall?

I am equally frustrated, I'd be hoping that Gus is the go to man next week.Unless he's been farmed out on loan again by then. It must really impress him that there are two bang average (that's giving them the benefit of the doubt) loan strikers on the bench with him.

On 10/02/2018 at 17:52, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

...Nicky Hunt , Henry McKop, Tony Dinning...

Welcome to Ashton Gate, Lois Diony...

The service he received was awful as in his other sub appearances . Maybe he won’t make an impact at BS3 but it’s too early to tell and I doubt he will get a run of games starting unless one of our front two gets injured 

You will always get stick being a footballer it comes with the territory, but Diony has not been on the pitch for 90 mins in the three games he played. He’s not set the world on fire but can’t fault his effort. Hopefully the criticism and “feedback” doesn’t impact his confidence. 

57 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I am equally frustrated, I'd be hoping that Gus is the go to man next week.Unless he's been farmed out on loan again by then. It must really impress him that there are two bang average (that's giving them the benefit of the doubt) loan strikers on the bench with him.

And what do we know of Engvall to suggest he is better than the 'bang average' Woodrow and Diony. Because he certainly hasnt yet done well in either the championship or ligue 1. Not to say he couldn't be successful but nothing to suggest he should suddenly be the player to go to.

5 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

has moved to a side near the top of their division and who can provide better service.

And therein, good Sir, is exactly why he isn't a good fit, though indeed may be a decent striker. We are signally unable to provide the service he needs much as we were unable to do for Thorpe, Pitman at al ( not I'm suggesting Diony and Pitman have similar pace....) 

Archived