IGNORED

Love the fact...

winterbournered

3 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

I will start by saying not at the game today. 

Yet I've come on here to see threads moaning about our attacking players, who lets be fair did there job today. 

The players who didn't. Nothing. 3 goals at home! Hoping someone more informed than me can give some sort of reasoning behind it. 

I think there is an issue in that we genuinely should have scored 7. But it's certainly fair to say that you expect to be winning games where you score 3...

Reid and Diedhiou did well first half. Diony was a waste of space by and large when he replaced Reid, but we still should have won easily. 

We over elaborated and missed chance after chance to score in the first half and for some bits of the second from both midfielders and forwards.

Without Reid we had little drive in the center and the players thought it was won before it was. FF made the Woldy of Worldies if not we would have lost 3-4. 

Yet I've come on here to see threads moaning about our attacking players, who lets be fair did there job today. 

The players who didn't. Nothing. 3 goals at home! Hoping someone more informed than me can give some sort of reasoning behind it. 

taking bobby off now looks a huge mistake, missing at least 5 chances that would have put the game to bed, and lj making changes in the last few minutes all did not help, how the hell we threw that away will give me nightmares.

I think the players should take long hard look at themselves tonight. Last week we lost to Bolton by not being up for it as much as them, and this week we tried to either put the ball on a plate for Diony or walk the ball in the net.

I noticed plenty of times Pack would find himself 25yards from goal, and rather than have a shot, decided to spread it out wide time after time. I wouldn't mind if he mixed it up slightly, but it was consistently always being passed to someone else rather than take responsibility for a shot.

In the space of a week, I do hope the players have learnt a harsh lesson in this game. 1) You're get up for it for entire 90minutes, and 2) You need to be ruthless and kill games off regardless of who gets the goals. 

4 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I think the players should take long hard look at themselves tonight. Last week we lost to Bolton by not being up for it as much as them, and this week we tried to either put the ball on a plate for Diony or walk the ball in the net.

I noticed plenty of times Pack would find himself 25yards from goal, and rather than have a shot, decided to spread it out wide time after time. I wouldn't mind if he mixed it up slightly, but it was consistently always being passed to someone else rather than take responsibility for a shot.

In the space of a week, I do hope the players have learnt a harsh lesson in this game. 1) You're get up for it for entire 90minutes, and 2) You need to be ruthless and kill games off regardless of who gets the goals. 

I've read this post and I've taken it as we didn't score enough. I may have read it wrong, for which I apologise but 3 up at HT. For me the attacking players have done enough, defensively we haven't! Simple as that. Game was won. 

24 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

Guess later when you see the full highlights then you will understand 

I've read this post and I've taken it as we didn't score enough. I may have read it wrong, for which I apologise but 3 up at HT. For me the attacking players have done enough, defensively we haven't! Simple as that. Game was won. 

To be fair, you make a valid point about conceding 3, but if you were there and saw how shocking they were at the back and how wasteful we were upfront, you would be bemoaning our attack8ng play in the second half.

4 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

Defensively we have scored 2 fluke own goals but that shouldn’t have mattered with the opportunity’s we had

Right. my thoughts.

Tha manager; I thought LJ got it wrong, we may as well have sold Mags as we had a ready made replacement for Baker, but he made 2 positional changes and ended with a MF at RB.  Add to that poor subs, not a good day for Lee.

The team. Going forward we were ok for the most part, just not clinical enough, so I suppose you could lay some blame at the strikers. That said the defence looked scared every time they attacked, even before we had scored. The only area blameless was the midfield. 
Individually, BW was awful . Patterson was (again) anonymous and JB in defence was terrible . Brownhill wasn't great but out of position I'll give him a pass. Diony, I don't know where to begin, how the hell did anyone think he was a £9m player. It beggars belief. FF 's kicking gets worse , although the save he made well double save I suppose, was brilliant. 
At half time I said if we don't get 6 I'd be disappointed, I was only half joking. Sunderland were THAT poor, but as soon as they scored (and they had been allowed to get a head of steam up) you could see the panic set in. 
It really looked like a training session, the lack of urgency in the second half was worrying. As was the gap between MF and strikers.Reid going off was a big loss, and the change to 442 wasn't working but it was allowed to slide and by the time he went to change it , it was too late.
If he picks another MF to play a fullback in the next game I think the same will happen, we will struggle. 

20 minutes ago, pillred said:

taking bobby off now looks a huge mistake, missing at least 5 chances that would have put the game to bed, and lj making changes in the last few minutes all did not help, how the hell we threw that away will give me nightmares.

Taking Bobby off certainly changed the game, but mistake no. He was injured, ‘hobbling’ says LJ, he said Bobby wanted to continue (he really would run through brick walls for us) but it just wasn’t an option.

So I’m with Lee on this at least. Manage Bobby’s knock early and hopefully he will be fit for the next game, who knows what damage playing him might have done long term. Yes maybe 3 points today but how many might we have lost in the future.

6 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

No not really. You attack and defend as a team. We went to sleep in the second half all across the team. We should and could have had ten. The midfield over elaborated going forward and allowed Sunderland trough them in the last twenty, partially because it is the forward's job to defend from the front, which we have done all season, they didn't!

The back four had nothing to do with the two own goals, both by midfielders, but both unlucky. FF made a World class save and Aden Flint scored the first goal, not the forwards.

But then if you had watched it!

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

Taking Bobby off certainly changed the game, but mistake no. He was injured, ‘hobbling’ says LJ, he said Bobby wanted to continue (he really would run through brick walls for us) but it just wasn’t an option.

So I’m with Lee on this at least. Manage Bobby’s knock early and hopefully he will be fit for the next game, who knows what damage playing him might have done long term. Yes maybe 3 points today but how many might we have lost in the future.

when I posted did not realise bobby was injured, but the rest still stands, we threw that game away by a mixture of bad finishing and tinkering by lee, been there before too many times and the players do not seem to learn from past seasons, three up nobody saw that coming. but I did unfortunately gave me no pleasure as soon as they scored one goal I thought uh oh!

There is a side issue in the fact we used to play a high pressing game.....now that we have some height up front we've resorted to punting it forward rather than breaking quickly....when we did that today we scored...(2nd goal).....when we do try and play we hold it up too long and try and do too many passes.....presumably looking for the perfect team goal......I'd like to see FD cut inside and belt it.....I bet he's quite handy at it. 

Not a loss today...but far from ideal 

COYRs

1 hour ago, winterbournered said:

No the forwards hadn't done enough at half time, we should have been at least 4 up! 

3 hours ago, winterbournered said:

Yes and no.

I think that the players thought they'd won the game in the first half, and I think that can be summed up by the increase in little flicks and tricks. I think at one point, Kent tried a flick and gave away a throw-in. A simple trap and pass would've worked just as well, but the players thought they'd try to turn it on.

This attitude carried over into the second half and kind of set the tone for the rest of the game.

Make no mistake, winning 3 nil at home at halftime in my eyes means that more than enough has been done, and it's only our game to lose at that point....which unfortunately we did!

I still maintain that the lack of ruthlessness, and our over desire to almost be cocky cost us massively today, and truth be told, Lee Johnson has to take some blame (not for the Reid sub, I can understand that), but for replacing Fammy with 20minutes to go. Again, I think we wanted him to get his hat trick and we weren't ruthless enough to take him off for the benefit of the result.

Fingers burnt, let's hope the players are hurting tonight and have learnt a harsh lesson.

We were clinical in front of goal first half with the exception of the one FD failed to send goalwards. Their defence had no pace at all.

Bobby needed to go off at half time as injured, but Diony as a replacement didn't cut it at all. No pressure, no link up play, plus for a while it looked like we were trying to set him up for a goal. He looks completely devoid of any confidence, so can understand why we hoped to get him a goal. Can't help thinking that Engvall would have been a better choice to replace Bobby, then bring on Diony to replace Diedhoui later if needed.

Where we also failed to respond was when Sunderland brought on McGeady, who is still clearly a class act. He continually found space and kept playing out to their right to put Joe Bryan under pressure. We needed to be more solid down that side, which really meant bringing on Magnússon & moving Bryan in to midfield. It eventually happened but only once they were level, which was too late.

Definitely a game for LJ to watch back & learn from. We can only hope...

5 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Send them to Dubai

They might as well have had a week at Brean.

At least they would have been acclimatised to the winter weather, probably a shock to the system.... better still take them somewhere equally as bleak as Brean but colder.... they would have revelled in the balmy conditions and comforts of home then & LJ wouldn't have been suffering the after effects of sunstroke. 

Reckon we picked up a dose of cameltoe in Dubai.

8 hours ago, beaverface said:

Yes and no.

I think that the players thought they'd won the game in the first half, and I think that can be summed up by the increase in little flicks and tricks. I think at one point, Kent tried a flick and gave away a throw-in. A simple trap and pass would've worked just as well, but the players thought they'd try to turn it on.

This attitude carried over into the second half and kind of set the tone for the rest of the game.

Make no mistake, winning 3 nil at home at halftime in my eyes means that more than enough has been done, and it's only our game to lose at that point....which unfortunately we did!

I still maintain that the lack of ruthlessness, and our over desire to almost be cocky cost us massively today, and truth be told, Lee Johnson has to take some blame (not for the Reid sub, I can understand that), but for replacing Fammy with 20minutes to go. Again, I think we wanted him to get his hat trick and we weren't ruthless enough to take him off for the benefit of the result.

Fingers burnt, let's hope the players are hurting tonight and have learnt a harsh lesson.

Just to add I thought everyone thought the match was won at 3-0 and it bloody should have been.

I put it down to bad game management, they clearly wanted to put on a show and get a hatful of goals.

The annoying point was that the corpse of Sunderland twitched.

We just had to play out the second half, the opposition never looked like scoring when they got a chance . We beat ourselves.

What   concerns me is that our game management   which had been good before Christmas seems to have gone to pot .

All in all they've done enough to still be in the top six and now we need to get back to basics to stay there.

26 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Just to add I thought everyone thought the match was won at 3-0 and it bloody should have been.

I put it down to bad game management, they clearly wanted to put on a show and get a hatful of goals.

The annoying point was that the corpse of Sunderland twitched.

We just had to play out the second half, the opposition never looked like scoring when they got a chance . We beat ourselves.

What   concerns me is that our game management   which had been good before Christmas seems to have gone to pot .

All in all they've done enough to still be in the top six and now we need to get back to basics to stay there.

For years, the team I have been most worried about is us.

Archived