IGNORED

Director of Football Required

Singingsuperstar

It's a serious question. 

Perhaps LJ needs mentoring as he's proved many times he's an excellent young manager.

Maybe he just needs an experienced Premier league manager to give him ideas, suggestions and a little guidance. 

It's as though he's hit a brick wall. 

I really thought today we'd break through but again the team selection looked like an accident waiting to happen. 

16 minutes ago, Singingsuperstar said:

It's a serious question. 

Perhaps LJ needs mentoring as he's proved many times he's an excellent young manager.

Maybe he just needs an experienced Premier league manager to give him ideas, suggestions and a little guidance. 

I really thought today we'd break through but again the team selection looked like an accident waiting to happen. 

Maybe he doesn’t need a experienced premier league manager but a experienced manager who knows how teams get out of this division,there’s one across the bridge but he will never be good enough for any job at our club by all accounts 

38 minutes ago, Singingsuperstar said:

It's a serious question. 

There's a difference between a 'mentor' and 'Director of Football' - he has plenty of mentors. I don't think we need to have a DoF on the payroll.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There's a difference between a 'mentor' and 'Director of Football' - he has plenty of mentors. I don't think we need to have a DoF on the payroll.

OK so as Manager has now been rebranded first team coach, DoF is first team coach mentor. 

All lm saying is LJ may need someone experienced to be a devil's advocate

3 minutes ago, Singingsuperstar said:

OK so as Manager has now been rebranded first team coach, DoF is first team coach mentor. 

What do you mean? Are you saying Bristol City should employ someone in this role or that LJ could bounce a few ideas off someone in his phonebook that he looks up to?

1 minute ago, ChubStixx said:

Doesn't need a director of football.

He just needs time. He acknowledges his mistakes. He's an intelligent man and will only get better.

Not doubting his ability, intelligence or capability. 

Just don't want to see him miss an opportunity. 

Time is better spent avoiding mistakes. The RB and LB situation is a prime example. 

I also feel his loyalty to several players (first names on team sheet) needs to be questioned. 

2 minutes ago, Singingsuperstar said:

And I’m not sure you’re listening to what everyone’s saying. He has plenty of mentors to be devils advocate, in addition to the externals Ashton - and Im sure McAllister won’t be backwards in coming forward. 

So he has the voices. What exactly do you think a DOF brings? And please give a suggestion (or even someone like...x) as without that it undermines what you say your point is

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And I’m not sure you’re listening to what everyone’s saying. He has plenty of mentors to be devils advocate, in addition to the externals Ashton - and Im sure McAllister won’t be backwards in coming forward. 

So he has the voices. What exactly do you think a DOF brings? And please give a suggestion (or even someone like...x) as without that it undermines what you say your point 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What do you mean? Are you saying Bristol City should employ someone in this role or that LJ could bounce a few ideas off someone in his phonebook that he looks up to?

Employ. Im not suggesting any names... 

Just to clarify l asked the question because lm a massive LJ fan... 

There are numerous examples of clubs appointing a DoF and things going rapidly boobs north.

Who does the chairman listen to? The manager who may be going through a rough patch or the DoF he's brought in to help?

What if the DoF and the manager aren't on thea same page when it comes to tactics? The players end up more confused and you can split the camp.

All in all I'd leave LJ to get on with it.

Okay...I’m going to try again and just to confirm, I have no doubt you want the best for LJ and us.

We employ a DOF. What does he do?

- Mark Ashton handles the transfers and contracts

- LJs external mentors, which in addition to his dad are publicised and staging posts for advice

- For the DOF to not be a de facto manager, he cant be involved on matchday

So, again, even if you have no names, in view of the above, what is your proposed DOF remit. Please don’t say “advice”...

2 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

There are numerous examples of clubs appointing a DoF and things going rapidly boobs north.

Who does the chairman listen to? The manager who may be going through a rough patch or the DoF he's brought in to help?

What if the DoF and the manager aren't on thea same page when it comes to tactics? The players end up more confused and you can split the camp.

All in all I'd leave LJ to get on with it.

Agree fella.

Bringing in a DoF at any club is a dangerous road to travel, unless he comes in with a new Head Coach as part of an overall change of structure in a club.

We currently do not need a DoF.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

But when?

Don't be silly, even today we could see his growth as a manager.

Last season his post match interview would've been different - would he have blamed himself? Probably not. More than likely individual players would've got the blame. (Moore and Magnússon last season to name but two.)

This, in addition to our vastly superior form this season, demonstrates his improvement as a manager.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't be silly, even today we could see his growth as a manager.

Last season his post match interview would've been different - would he have blamed himself? Probably not. More than likely individual players would've got the blame. (Moore and Magnússon last season to name but two.)

This, in addition to our vastly superior form this season, demonstrates his improvement as a manager.

You are 100% correct.

Last year we would have got the whole " players I trust" stuff. He stated tonight that it was his fault - a sign that he is maturing.

I imagine he's got a number of people he can turn to if he needs advice. I'm not sure why having someone with a title of 'Director of Football' on the payroll would be of any real benefit. 

LJ looks like he has a clear philosophy of how he wants to play and the whole management team have bought into this. Whilst results may have stagnated in the last few weeks, why bring in someone else if we're happy with the direction the team are taking on and off the pitch?

15 minutes ago, Singingsuperstar said:

Not doubting his ability, intelligence or capability. 

Just don't want to see him miss an opportunity. 

Time is better spent avoiding mistakes. The RB and LB situation is a prime example. 

I also feel his loyalty to several players (first names on team sheet) needs to be questioned. 

If you feel the need to ask this question when we win then I think its valid but at the moment I dont think one is needed and would only have the players second guessing who is in charge.

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I thought last season that a mentor or dof might help, but he has shown that he is learning, has introduced new ideas and has the team playing for him.  Might just have a hard time next season if we dont get promoted and lose some of our best players though.

Or a third season with a dreadful run of results at some point?

I don’t think he needs a DoF or anymore Mentors....he needs Macca and Deano to be more forthright and make sure he doesn’t get carried away with being too clever.

I’ve seen the signs over the past 2/3 weeks and posted a few times.

Back to basics Lee and as @Bobfish would say (go read his posts), square or Rhomboid pegs in square holes.

18 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

He has a mentor in Cheltenham......

He also has a good relationship with Kenny Dalglish, Man City as a whole and (from what we read) Pep and Jose.

What? a lower league manager is his mentor?  Maybe once but LJ has way surpassed the person concerned in every possible way.

Thankfully LJ is learning from experienced PL guys like Pep, Jose and Mauricio. Forward thinking guys.

Archived