IGNORED

Director of Football Required

Singingsuperstar

On 2/10/2018 at 21:46, Dman_Red said:

LJ looks like he has a clear philosophy of how he wants to play and the whole management team have bought into this. Whilst results may have stagnated in the last few weeks, why bring in someone else if we're happy with the direction the team are taking on and off the pitch?

There may be a role for DoF, but more in terms of the point you make rather than the OP original reason.

Owning the clubs identity, philosophy and playing style needs to be where the DoF needs to operate IMHO.  Yes, LJ has this vision currently, but managers more on and we need this to be woven into fabric of the club so there is continuity. (The books all players have been given is evidence of this is guess).

Certainly, Mark Ashton is using this to drive recruitment, but I wouldn't say he is the man to be the custodian of our footballing philosophy.

Tricky one, but on balance things are working without a DoF, but maybe it is something that will be needed in the near future.  Someone like a Glenn Hoddle - experienced player and coach, forward thinking, and someone committed to developing young players.

14 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

At least he called him a lower league manager and not a conference one. Is he starting out on the long road to acceptance of his misconceptions perhaps?

who is miss conceptions and is she related to the virgin Connie Swail.

2 hours ago, simon uk said:

Not sure if dof would be the role,?? Lj haw made the conscious decision to have 2 of his mates as assistants, so obviously didnt feel the need. However if he wanted someone to bounce ideas off of as an assistant then millen and jordan are both massively experienced number 2’s.

Millen’s now assistant at MK Dons

4 hours ago, simon uk said:

Not sure if dof would be the role,?? Lj haw made the conscious decision to have 2 of his mates as assistants, so obviously didnt feel the need. However if he wanted someone to bounce ideas off of as an assistant then millen and jordan are both massively experienced number 2’s.

Why would you want Jordan or Millen? We've made huge progress this season.

A barren run of form (even though we're still 6th and level with 5th) has people wanting to make drastic sweeping changes. Is every forum like this or is it just ours because I find it rather bizarre.

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why would you want Jordan or Millen? We've made huge progress this season.

A barren run of form (even though we're still 6th and level with 5th) has people wanting to make drastic sweeping changes. Is every forum like this or is it just ours because I find it rather bizarre.

Not saying i would want either, just replying to op, but if there was a place for an older man these could be 2.

We are doing better than any of us anticipated this  season and, even after a poor run of form, are really well placed. I still expect us to be in the top six come the end of the season but, even if we are not, we have come on leaps and bounds this season. The main reason for that, to my mind, is we have finally got the structure of the club right and have a consistent framework and system for how the club has run.

Bringing in a director of football is not simply a small change - it is once again tearing up the model and management structure of the club and replacing it with something else, which seems daft given it is essentially working. Where clubs go wrong- including us many times in the past - is by constantly changing and switching direction at the drop of the hat so there is no time for anything to work. We do not need a director of football. We simply need to ensure that, as fans, we remain patient and calm and do not panic at the first sign of a setback. 

Archived