IGNORED

Blame the ref...

ashtonphil mk2

Didn't want to comment before watching the highlights as I wasn't there but 2 big decisions go against us, the dive for the free kick for their second (can he be retrospectively banned? Led to a goal...) and Pato having his shirt pulled could easily be and probably should be a penalty. Either of those get given our way and we're probably winning that game.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Didn't want to comment before watching the highlights as I wasn't there but 2 big decisions go against us, the dive for the free kick for their second (can he be retrospectively banned? Led to a goal...) and Pato having his shirt pulled could easily be and probably should be a penalty. Either of those get given our way and we're probably winning that game.

I thought he 'made the most of it' but Bryan grabbed his shorts, if you look again. The shirt pull on Pato should've been spotted in the same way. Poor reffing.

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

I thought he 'made the most of it' but Bryan grabbed his shorts, if you look again. The shirt pull on Pato should've been spotted. Poor reffing.

Their guy was already diving before getting near Bryan, he grabbed his shorts when their guy was half way to the floor. 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not only did Asoro dive to win the free kick for the second, he then dived to try and win a penalty at 3-2.

Not the reason we drew, but the ref seemingly couldn’t wait to give them a free kick in the last 15 minutes.

Spot on. Asoro should surely have been booked for his Tom Daley impression in our box.

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I thought he 'made the most of it' but Bryan grabbed his shorts, if you look again. The shirt pull on Pato should've been spotted in the same way. Poor reffing.

Bryan had a shocker today defensively.

Dives + asshole LINNINGTON again did for us, and the players going to sleep! - one especially who only woke up when he had a bit of space to run into unchallenged and spent the rest of the match hiding.

Sorry lee the OG’s were bad luck but your tinkering near killed us last season, this season much better but why leave the tinkering till it’s too late to improve our chances? Strength in depth still on the bench no good when the games gone away? And a wing man either unfit or not motivated manages start every game and stays in for 90! Is the Johnson out cry just around the corner?

3 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Dives + asshole LINNINGTON again did for us, and the players going to sleep! - one especially who only woke up when he had a bit of space to run into unchallenged and spent the rest of the match hiding.

Sorry lee the OG’s were bad luck but your tinkering near killed us last season, this season much better but why leave the tinkering till it’s too late to improve our chances? Strength in depth still on the bench no good when the games gone away? And a wing man either unfit or not motivated manages start every game and stays in for 90! Is the Johnson out cry just around the corner?

No 

Yes there were poor refereeing decisions, but in truth we were dire defensively on our left in the second half & profligate in front of goal. Plus once McGeady came on we needed more cover in midfield. As per another thread, poor game management actually did for us, as LJ has admitted.

So last 2 games we've conceded 2 very unlucky own goals and had at least 2 and probably 4 very good penalty shouts turned down. And yes I know we got away with one at Derby and possibly others, my point is we seem to be going through a bit of an unlucky run, but luck changes.....

and yes I realise form has to improve as well.

3 hours ago, ashtonphil mk2 said:

Quick question.

Why did he mess about and not let us make the subs. They were both ready to come one The next stoppage was after they scored.

That was a potential game changer... 

We know the rules, if in doubt blame the ref..

No wonder why everyone was booing at the end of the game

4 hours ago, mozo said:

How about blame the fans? Atmosphere was terrible today. One of those where every mistake was met with an audible groan, but no real support.

The atmosphere wasn't terrible at all... yeah, the fans will groan when a mistake is made, they're making mistakes in the job that they're being paid to do and we're paying to watch those mistakes happen. We have every right to complain however like myself, when we played well and didn't make mistakes, we clapped, sang and cheered the lads on. Most of the mistakes happened when they started banging goals in and we were all nervous so surely you can understand why the groans? 

Lj said the ref was the same one as against Bolton is this true because if so how is that allowed agin robbed of penalties not that that is an excuse but still, oh and on a side note why the hell did famara handball it I am totally confused did he just miss with his head or what

10 hours ago, ashtonphil mk2 said:

Quick question.

Why did he mess about and not let us make the subs. They were both ready to come one The next stoppage was after they scored.

That was a potential game changer... 

We know the rules, if in doubt blame the ref..

Blame the players,blame Johnson....they're the ones wot done it..

51 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yep as soon as his shirt is pulled he surely has to go down

Agreed. 

There’s been a lot of debate recently about “diving”. There are two elements to it for me. 

1) There is no contact at all and the player is intentionally trying to cheat. 

2) There is contact and the player takes advantage of it and attempts to win a free kick / penalty. 

In the first case, that is cheating and any player caught doing this should be booked and/or retrospectively banned. 

In the second case, I have no problem at all with this. If an opposition player puts themselves into a situation where contact is made, in whatever form, then I would expect any player to do what’s best for the result. 

In Pato’s case yesterday, there is a clear pulling of the shirt. He needs to go down. It is not “deceiving the referee”, it is bringing it to the attention of the referee. 

Deceiving the ref is when a player goes down under zero contact. If contact has been made, we all need to accept that it’s part of the game (always has been) to do what you can to win the foul. 

11 hours ago, Super said:

Bryan had a shocker today defensively.

Up until the dive, which meant that Bryan was on a yellow so he had to stand off the guy, he defended that winger excellently, didn't get past him once. The problem was neither Kent or Paterson offered any support so it was 1v1 and when Bryan is on a yellow he's going to struggle 

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

In Pato’s case yesterday, there is a clear pulling of the shirt. He needs to go down. It is not “deceiving the referee”, it is bringing it to the attention of the referee. 

Agree with the sentiment mate but not the conclusion. Actually happened twice, happened earlier with Diony too. You say "he needs to go down" but it was never going to happen, because we were 3-0 up. I'd love to say the players were being honest, which of course they were, but not for any other reason than they thought the game was dead and buried and so were being single minded wanting to get a goal themselves. I guarantee if it's 0-0 in a tight, nervous match, both players go down instantly.

So in the circumstances, players staying on their feet in the box after being fouled was not unsurprising, it was just symptomatic of the complete circus our second half performance became, with everyone suddenly playing as individuals (apart from Diehiou, who was apparently trying to stage manage a goal for Diony). Sadly neither Diony nor Paterson were going to go down and "deceive the referee" because they wanted to score themselves given the game was so comfortable. They're to blame. 

Thought the ref was very good for 75 minutes, couple of times he played an excellent advantage or DIDN'T buy a Sunderland appeal for a foul and visibly told the players why. Was excellent refereeing. Only complaint was he rushed into booking our players having not booked theirs for a succession of equivalent fouls. Also then got a bit caught up in the momentum of their finale and bought their dives. But no blame for him. Since the shocking Burton game that's two in a row he's been average at worst.

42 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed. 

There’s been a lot of debate recently about “diving”. There are two elements to it for me. 

1) There is no contact at all and the player is intentionally trying to cheat. 

2) There is contact and the player takes advantage of it and attempts to win a free kick / penalty. 

In the first case, that is cheating and any player caught doing this should be booked and/or retrospectively banned. 

In the second case, I have no problem at all with this. If an opposition player puts themselves into a situation where contact is made, in whatever form, then I would expect any player to do what’s best for the result. 

Deceiving the ref is when a player goes down under zero contact. If contact has been made, we all need to accept that it’s part of the game (always has been) to do what you can to win the foul. 

I love a good dive

12 hours ago, mozo said:

How about blame the fans? Atmosphere was terrible today. One of those where every mistake was met with an audible groan, but no real support.

Yes, atmosphere wasn't great. But you can't blame the poor play and decision-making on the fans. Whether we win, lose or draw, it's down to the players first and then the manager.

Archived