IGNORED

Atmosphere and support in general.

RedNight

No doubt fans will take this personally, but it has to be said.

So, quite easy for the fans to come on here and slate the management and players. But since Christmas, what the **** has happened to the atmosphere?? It's genuinely p*ss poor for the position we are in and what we are fighting for?

The easy thing to reply with is "well the performances on the pitch have been poor and fans aren't getting anything to cheer about". Rubbish. QPR at home? We were winning with 10 men, atmosphere bang average. Yesterday 3-0 up, atmosphere horrendous. 

And as for the other games such as Norwich etc. yes we lost, but only late on and the atmosphere before their goal was hardly inspiring. We're fighting for the play offs and promotion, but during the game it's like nobody gives a ****. Its only when we lose and after the game people get all aggy on here and social media that you think people might care.  

Away support - not gunna be too harsh, cause sky have stitched us up. But we're literally taking 300 to games at the moment. Regardless of circumstances, that's pretty poor for a club in our position. 

Also, what's happened to S82? No flags and stuff for the previous couple of games. These guy are brilliant and we shouldn't just rely on them for an atmosphere, but the harsh reality is that we solely rely on them! 

I think we we need to look at ourselves as fans. We are having a miraculous season. Fighting for promotion should be a dream, not an expectation (especially considering last season). We need to step it up in the stands, because AG is hardly an inspiring place at the moment, considering we are a team fighting for our lives to be top 6. 

PLEASE don't take this personally. It's a justified observation. I just want AG to be what it can be every week. We hear all the time what a difference we can make. Let's make the difference!

You’re right, it was poor yesterday. Atmosphere usually suffers when you get a healthy lead early on as it removes tension.

I remember 07/08 AG being far noisier with a third less in attendance. I think having S82 so far away from the away support doesn’t help. Back when we had the EE, the away support and the EE fans used to compete which helped the atmosphere. 

For as daft as this might sound, I think the cup run has affected the fans as much as the players, personally.

When you’ve beaten four Premier League teams and taken Manchester City all the way, how do you get yourself up for QPR at home?

A huge percentage of supporters seem to be drifting towards the end of the season waiting for the big games to swing around again - albeit there might not be any.

11 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

For as daft as this might sound, I think the cup run has affected the fans as much as the players, personally.

When you’ve beaten four Premier League teams and taken Manchester City all the way, how do you get yourself up for QPR at home?

A huge percentage of supporters seem to be drifting towards the end of the season waiting for the big games to swing around again - albeit there might not be any.

Yeh maybe. But that shouldn't be an acceptable excuse for players nor fans 

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You’re right, it was poor yesterday. Atmosphere usually suffers when you get a healthy lead early on as it removes tension.

I remember 07/08 AG being far noisier with a third less in attendance. I think having S82 so far away from the away support doesn’t help. Back when we had the EE, the away support and the EE fans used to compete which helped the atmosphere. 

It does I know. But the fans had signed it off as a win as much as the players did. 

Mind you, this shouldn't be an excuse for the players losing 3 goal lead. 

Bad day at office. Move on to big 3 games now. Looking forward to them! Still sitting 3 points clear in play offs! 

Ive supported City for over 50 years and save for a few big games, i have always been a bit disappounted by how quiet the gate is compared to other grounds ive been to.

We do need to getbehind the team more when the game hits a dull patch.

Didnt like the booing at the end yesterday either.  I have never booed city even when we are crap.

12 minutes ago, RedNight said:

Away support - not gunna be too harsh, cause sky have stitched us up. But we're literally taking 300 to games at the moment. Regardless of circumstances, that's pretty poor for a club in our position. 

Can't argue with your points about the atmosphere at home since New Year. I think you're spot on and we all need to do something about that.

However, we aren't taking as little as 300 to away games at the moment.

We had 3 Friday night away games up North in December and January, all televised on Sky and we took over 500 to Derby and Bolton and 475 to Sheff Utd 2 weeks before Christmas. The Derby match was our 4th away game in 3 weeks, our previous away games in that little run saw us take 2100 to Villa (sold out), 1500 to Watford and 7680 to Man City (sold out). Considering we usually average around 1000 -1300 on our travels (depending on the season), I don't think that's particularly poor considering the circumstances. I believe Cardiff even took fewer fans than us to Hillsborough the day after we played Derby and they were playing Saturday.

If we were a big club based in the midlands averaging 2-3000 every season I'd agree with you, but we aren't. 

11 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Can't argue with your points about the atmosphere at home since New Year. I think you're spot on and we all need to do something about that.

However, we aren't taking as little as 300 to away games at the moment.

We had 3 Friday night away games up North in December and January, all televised on Sky and we took over 500 to Derby and Bolton and 475 to Sheff Utd 2 weeks before Christmas. The Derby match was our 4th away game in 3 weeks, our previous away games in that little run saw us take 2100 to Villa (sold out), 1500 to Watford and 7680 to Man City (sold out). Considering we usually average around 1000 -1300 on our travels (depending on the season), I don't think that's particularly poor considering the circumstances. I believe Cardiff even took fewer fans than us to Hillsborough the day after we played Derby and they were playing Saturday.

If we were a big club based in the midlands averaging 2-3000 every season I'd agree with you, but we aren't. 

Fair point. 

I must admit the atmosphere was poor yesterday due to many of the things that have already been said,but am I the only one who is getting a bit fed up with the constant anti gas chants,don’t you think we should be concentrating on our own team,also the needless chant re Adam Johnston at the start of the game was poor and showed us up in a bad light.Lets just get behind OUR boys no matter what.

I dare say that the atmosphere will not get better. There are not enough people who want to actively improve it. Although S82 does a good job, it will never fully get going as you need a decent number of people to join in, and regardless of their singing (most of S82 actually don't sing for a lot of the game), the majority of Ashton Gate only join in occasionally.

For a good atmosphere, there needs to be a couple of thousand like minded people in the same area, who all actually sing. Not just when it's going well as is the case for a lot of S82 and definitely for Ashton Gate as a whole.

1 minute ago, CIDER NOT CIDRE said:

I dare say that the atmosphere will not get better. There are not enough people who want to actively improve it. Although S82 does a good job, it will never fully get going as you need a decent number of people to join in, and regardless of their singing (most of S82 actually don't sing for the majority of the game), the majority of Ashton Gate only join in occasionally.

For a good atmosphere, there needs to be a couple of thousand like minded people in the same area, who all actually sing. Not just when it's going well as is the case for a lot of S82 and definitely for Ashton Gate as a whole.

In my opinion the ground design and logistics don’t help. Best solution for me would be for City fans to have the entire Atyeo stand with away fans in the Williams or even Dolman nearest the Atyeo. 

Impractical now, but that would be good for the atmosphere. Allows our vocal support to interact with away support, plenty of space to grow and ample room for 3000 or so. 

S82 are great, but we lack the needle which spurs on the atmosphere that we used to have. We’ve also lost an entire stand to atmosphere, which is also our biggest. The old Williams used to be average for atmosphere, but now it’s silent in its current form.

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In my opinion the ground design and logistics don’t help. Best solution for me would be for City fans to have the entire Atyeo stand with away fans in the Williams or even Dolman nearest the Atyeo. 

Yes, with the ground as it is, I think the best way to recreate an atmosphere is to have the away fans in the Williams/Lansdown (wouldn't have them in the Dolman, mind). Then home fans only in Atyeo and South Stand.

37 minutes ago, RedNight said:

No doubt fans will take this personally, but it has to be said.

So, quite easy for the fans to come on here and slate the management and players. But since Christmas, what the **** has happened to the atmosphere?? It's genuinely p*ss poor for the position we are in and what we are fighting for?

The easy thing to reply with is "well the performances on the pitch have been poor and fans aren't getting anything to cheer about". Rubbish. QPR at home? We were winning with 10 men, atmosphere bang average. Yesterday 3-0 up, atmosphere horrendous. 

And as for the other games such as Norwich etc. yes we lost, but only late on and the atmosphere before their goal was hardly inspiring. We're fighting for the play offs and promotion, but during the game it's like nobody gives a ****. Its only when we lose and after the game people get all aggy on here and social media that you think people might care.  

Also, what's happened to S82? No flags and stuff for the previous couple of games. These guy are brilliant and we shouldn't just rely on them for an atmosphere, but the harsh reality is that we solely rely on them! 

I think we we need to look at ourselves as fans. We are having a miraculous season. Fighting for promotion should be a dream, not an expectation (especially considering last season). We need to step it up in the stands, because AG is hardly an inspiring place at the moment, considering we are a team fighting for our lives to be top 6. 

PLEASE don't take this personally. It's a justified observation. I just want AG to be what it can be every week. We hear all the time what a difference we can make. Let's make the difference!

People are there, at the game, in good numbers, not at home in the warm/dry watching rugby, so that's a positive. They care enough to be there.

But they've paid a lot of money to be there, and so, as a result, this tends to create a: 'here we are now, entertain us' mindset. The more you pay for something, the more you expect in return. You don't spend £32 on a meal out and help with the washing up.

You cannot ignore the impact on this issue of people paying proportionately more than they did 30 years ago, to watch young men being paid something like £10k a week, sometimes more.

And people are more comfortable at AG now, they are sat in a comfortable seat, and a 'couch potato' mindset, and beerbelly laziness, is difficult to avoid. 

Add to this the lure of the concourse, the alcohol awaiting you there, and the edible hot, warming, comforting food and drinks. Mmmmmm. And the screens to keep you up to date with what's going on. And the toilets! The toilets nowadays you could eat your hot, warming, comfortable food in, compared to the toilets of yesteryear.

And the smartphones - the addictive distraction of smartphones. With all the scores, and all the other things going on that cannot wait 90 minutes for you to be aware of. Or the corner/freekick you have to film for your matchday vlog in case it leads to a goal, you don't want to miss that by standing up clapping your hands and singing a song. Other people can do that.

And the general morass of middle age about the place, with middle aged spread - all that standing up, singing and shouting, that's behind us now, we've done that - we did stand up and shout v Man Utd, cmon on! - who wants to embarrass themselves?! Never mind the effort! Remember the cringy bloke that did the song about Johnson's coat? Dear god, what a :facepalm:. Glad I don't sit near him! 

And then there is our general West Country diffidence - we just are not as demonstrative as people in other parts of the country.

That we had a great noise v Man Utd, and good backing v QPR, that it happens even once or twice a season, in this 21st century modernised comfortable allseater poundforpound more expensive than ever before football we have today - with nice toilets - is something to cling on to, and be happy about.

Finally, on standing/sitting: I attended a concert at the Colston Hall recently, with a large chorus. Everytime the conductor wanted the chrus to sing, he motioned for them to stand up. Then, when they had finished, he motioned to them to sit down. And this went on the whole time. Sit down: not singing; stand up: singing. Why he couldn't have them singing sitting down, I don't know. I suppose he knew what he was doing. 

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Ive supported City for over 50 years and save for a few big games, i have always been a bit disappounted by how quiet the gate is compared to other grounds ive been to.

Didnt like the booing at the end yesterday either.  I have never booed city even when we are crap.

if you have never booed city ever then you are well on your way to sainthood, fair play to you.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Unless the other games you watch are at Galatasaray or Boca Juniors - Ashton Gate really isn’t that bad compared to others. 

Quiet home support save for big games is sadly the norm wherever you go in the country. 

Based on my experience I’d actually say we’re a fair bit better than average. 

58 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Unless the other games you watch are at Galatasaray or Boca Juniors - Ashton Gate really isn’t that bad compared to others. 

Quiet home support save for big games is sadly the norm wherever you go in the country. 

Based on my experience I’d actually say we’re a fair bit better than average. 

I agree that the Gate is usually above average for atmosphere but yesterday it was pathetic the fans deserve to be slated as much as the players.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Impractical now, but that would be good for the atmosphere. Allows our vocal support to interact with away support, plenty of space to grow and ample room for 3000 or so. 

S82 are great, but we lack the needle which spurs on the atmosphere that we used to have. We’ve also lost an entire stand to atmosphere, which is also our biggest. The old Williams used to be average for atmosphere, but now it’s silent in its current form.

Yes, I tend to agree. There would definitely be better places for S82, but then again we should be able to produce an atmosphere regardlesss.

With regard to giving the whole Atyeo to city fans, I'm sceptical that it would fill out with atmosphere minded fans. I imagine there is about 1000-2000 who would actively enhance the atmosphere but i fear a large number wouldn't be so keen. Regardless, 'The acoustics in the Atyeo are rubbish' or so was the excuse when we were in the Atyeo!

I do agree with a lack of needle, it does often feel rather tame these days.

1 hour ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

Hasn't helped with all those half-season card holders who don't turn up. Empty seats galore in the south stand when apparently sold out every game.

Too true, I know someone who bought 2 tickets for himself and his son and hasn’t been down since the Manchester games

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

People are there, at the game, in good numbers, not at home in the warm/dry watching rugby, so that's a positive. They care enough to be there.

But they've paid a lot of money to be there, and so, as a result, this tends to create a: 'here we are now, entertain us' mindset. The more you pay for something, the more you expect in return. You don't spend £32 on a meal out and help with the washing up.

You cannot ignore the impact on this issue of people paying proportionately more than they did 30 years ago, to watch young men being paid something like £10k a week, sometimes more.

And people are more comfortable at AG now, they are sat in a comfortable seat, and a 'couch potato' mindset, and beerbelly laziness, is difficult to avoid. 

Add to this the lure of the concourse, the alcohol awaiting you there, and the edible hot, warming, comforting food and drinks. Mmmmmm. And the screens to keep you up to date with what's going on. And the toilets! The toilets nowadays you could eat your hot, warming, comfortable food in, compared to the toilets of yesteryear.

And the smartphones - the addictive distraction of smartphones. With all the scores, and all the other things going on that cannot wait 90 minutes for you to be aware of. Or the corner/freekick you have to film for your matchday vlog in case it leads to a goal, you don't want to miss that by standing up clapping your hands and singing a song. Other people can do that.

And the general morass of middle age about the place, with middle aged spread - all that standing up, singing and shouting, that's behind us now, we've done that - we did stand up and shout v Man Utd, cmon on! - who wants to embarrass themselves?! Never mind the effort! Remember the cringy bloke that did the song about Johnson's coat? Dear god, what a :facepalm:. Glad I don't sit near him! 

And then there is our general West Country diffidence - we just are not as demonstrative as people in other parts of the country.

That we had a great noise v Man Utd, and good backing v QPR, that it happens even once or twice a season, in this 21st century modernised comfortable allseater poundforpound more expensive than ever before football we have today - with nice toilets - is something to cling on to, and be happy about.

Finally, on standing/sitting: I attended a concert at the Colston Hall recently, with a large chorus. Everytime the conductor wanted the chrus to sing, he motioned for them to stand up. Then, when they had finished, he motioned to them to sit down. And this went on the whole time. Sit down: not singing; stand up: singing. Why he couldn't have them singing sitting down, I don't know. I suppose he knew what he was doing. 

They would be “nice” if we had hot air.

Man City at home was the killer for me, outside of S82 it was like a morgue. Apparently playing arguably the best team in the world in a cup semi final isn't a big enough attraction cause it wasn't "Man United!!" 

West Stand is absolutely horrific, atmosphere wise it may as well not be there, I'm sure the players wouldn't notice a difference if that stand was empty. Yet you see most individuals in there suddenly get a lease of life and get all excitable when for the 1 or 2 occasions in a game our Icelandic defender is taking a throw in. That's pathetic.

26 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Man City at home was the killer for me, outside of S82 it was like a morgue. Apparently playing arguably the best team in the world in a cup semi final isn't a big enough attraction cause it wasn't "Man United!!" .

I suspect it was more to do with the fact that Man City spent the first hour of the game in or around our penalty area. 

At least against Man Utd we didn’t look totally outclassed. It was pretty much tie and cup run over when Aguero scored the 2nd although in reality Sane’s goal was probably the killer.

Just now, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I suspect it was more to do with the fact that Man City spent the first hour of the game in or around our penalty area. 

At least against Man Utd we didn’t look totally outclassed. It was pretty much tie and cup run over when Aguero scored the 2nd although in reality Sane’s goal was probably the killer.

Disagree. From the first whistle it was dead. Before Man City spent any time in our penalty area. Tie certainly wasn't over.

56 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Disagree. From the first whistle it was dead. Before Man City spent any time in our penalty area. Tie certainly wasn't over.

Man City were in our penalty area after 20 seconds. 

We were under constant attack in that first half, I’ve never seen such a one sided match. That can effect the overall atmosphere and make the crowd more nervous and tense. 

Nothing to do with the fact we weren’t playing Man Utd IMO mate.

Was thinking about it last night, and god I miss the old Ashton Gate. It’s bigger, comfier and makes us more money now, but in the ground it really does lack character that it used to have.

Im getting less and less arsed about going to the football nowadays. The main reason I go is to sing and shout and call the keeper a****, but it feels like people look down on me for trying to join in with S82. I’ve watched a few Kaiserslautern games on telly this season, in the massive Fritz-Walter Stadion, and it’s all but empty save for this enormous wall of supporters on the Westkurve. That’s where their fans want to be, to sing and wave flags and get behind their team.

Ask a city fan if theyd rather be in S82 or the middle of the Lansdown.

I can’t justify the expense of a season ticket any more, no matter how we’re doing. Might be an unpopular opinion but the redevelopment has sucked a lot of the atmosphere out of the gate. I’d rather save up for a trip to Tilburg or Lille every year and be part of an incredible atmosphere than sample a stale AG.

If the atmosphere was to improve then I’d be back in a heartbeat. There’s been times when it’s been good this season but they’re too few and far between. Its a drain on my pockets and I feel less and less like the sort of fan football in this country is looking to attract.

In my time as a supporter, I think we’ve been a set of fans that react to what’s going on on the pitch, rather than creating a noise and atmosphere all the way through.  However this season I think S82 have helped make it different....so much so that when they don’t it’s so noticeable.

Yesterday, being 3-0 up, probably didn’t help in a perverse way.

Archived