IGNORED

Thank you fellow Reds

Redmycolour

I would like to thank all other Bristol city who walked bye in Ashton Rd ( behind old old car showroom ),yesterday after the game when when myself (OAP) my son and son in law were approached by about 10 Sunderland fans threatening us,it could have got.hostille, but I was amazed by the amount of fellow Reds that walk bye, I thought we all stood together, but thanks for your non help, 

1 hour ago, redmycolour said:

I would like to thank all other Bristol city who walked bye in Ashton Rd ( behind old old car showroom ),yesterday after the game when when myself (OAP) my son and son in law were approached by about 10 Sunderland fans threatening us,it could have got.hostille, but I was amazed by the amount of fellow Reds that walk bye, I thought we all stood together, but thanks for your non help, 

tbf , rightly or wrongly, if people did get involved and got nicked for it, its game over for most.

can't win, can you? 

people get slaughtered on this forum for a good-natured pitch invasion, and now you're asking people to weigh in and sort out sunderland. 

From your limited description it's really hard to work out what went on. how long 'after the game' was this, what were these 'threats', did they start pushing you around, how many city were around and did they even see what was going on, were plod lurking around, was it sunderland's 'lads' or just some drunk bozos... 

I'd like to think city always back each other up (and i've certainly seen enough evidence to suggest that happens), but without knowing greater details it's hard to form a judgement. 

Glad you're ok! 

2 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

can't win, can you? 

people get slaughtered on this forum for a good-natured pitch invasion, and now you're asking people to weigh in and sort out sunderland. 

From your limited description it's really hard to work out what went on. how long 'after the game' was this, what were these 'threats', did they start pushing you around, how many city were around and did they even see what was going on, were plod lurking around, was it sunderland's 'lads' or just some drunk bozos... 

I'd like to think city always back each other up (and i've certainly seen enough evidence to suggest that happens), but without knowing greater details it's hard to form a judgement. 

Glad you're ok! 

Straight after the game, yes there were threats, alot of pushing and shuving,hundreds of city fans just watched on,NO POLICE, as stated were called but no show,Sunderland young and middle aged, im 64 to old for this 

15 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Straight after the game, yes there were threats, alot of pushing and shuving,hundreds of city fans just watched on,NO POLICE, as stated were called but no show,Sunderland young and middle aged, im 64 to old for this 

wow, I'm really surprised and equally sorry to hear. In my experience City have never needed any prompting to jump in and clump someone into line, but I guess football's gentrification has well and truly infiltrated us. Those who turned a blind eye should be ashamed. 

25 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

can't win, can you? 

"Sort out Sunderland"? No. He's an OAP, so hardly likely to be an ultra, dressed to the hilt in Stone Island looking to spark a**** out.

Help an OAP by intervening / calling for stewards or police / [insert something]. Yes. 

Another case of the bypasser effect.

19 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Sorry to hear this redmycolour.

Colours the same for both sides - are you sure the passing fans were actually mainly City supporters?  

The lack of police or police response is ridiculous, usually they are out en masse staring at everyone, yesterday seemed completely the opposite after the game, not one in sight.

Still, there's every chance those cowardly Sunderland fans may have got their comeuppance if they continued to behave like that after leaving your group.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sorry to hear this redmycolour.

Colours the same for both sides - are you sure the passing fans were actually mainly City supporters?  

The lack of police or police response is ridiculous, usually they are out en masse staring at everyone, yesterday seemed completely the opposite after the game, not one in sight.

Still, there's every chance those cowardly Sunderland fans may have got their comeuppance if they continued to behave like that after leaving your group.

Yes they wore city scarves & shirts,

1 minute ago, redmycolour said:

Yes they wore city scarves & shirts,

Well, I was wearing a City scarf and hat yesterday, both with a City badge on, but was still shouted at by a steward before the game and told I should not be going towards the Dolman, but ' Oi, you, yes YOU, the way end is that way.'

I had to assure him I was a City fan despite it being obvious through the club badges - and no smile or apology afterwards btw.

The colours (and even badges apparently) were easy to mix up yesterday so I do wonder that if there were 10 Sunderland fans in your incident - meaning the Sunderland fans in general were allowed to go that way - whether the 100's passing by in red & white colours were more likely a mixture of both sides.

Do you mean by the old Mercedes garage @redmycolour?

There were quite a few Sunderland fans around there at the time with a number singing! I was just crossing Winterstoke Road and could hear some shouting, but couldn’t be sure what, if anything, was going on and where! A number were walking along the Long Ashton bypass looking for their coaches and all good natured! :yes:

13 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Do you mean by the old Mercedes garage @redmycolour?

There were quite a few Sunderland fans around there at the time with a number singing! I was just crossing Winterstoke Road and could hear some shouting, but couldn’t be sure what, if anything, was going on and where! A number were walking along the Long Ashton bypass looking for their coaches and all good natured! :yes:

Yes,around the back,off Marsh Rd 

1 hour ago, redmycolour said:

Really sorry to hear about this,

the gane yesterday had 5 football police officers allocated to it which included 2 Sunderland officers.

i am told by the officer that worked yesterday they were made aware of a call to a fight at approx 5.20 pm in marsh road which they immediately went to and found no one there 

he has made enquiries with the dispatcher and there appears to be a delay between you making the call and the police then being dispatched to it hence the delay 

I am happy to speak to you about this and can  only apologise for the delay, I am at work on Tuesday and will try and establish why this happened . 

1 hour ago, Super said:

I think it depends on your situation if i had my young boy with me i certainly wouldnt have got involved. 

This is a good point.

I can’t believe groups of lads/blokes walking by would turn a blind eye towards fellow City fans getting attacked. From what I’ve seen of our fans in similar situations that would be out of character. 

If the people walking past had their kids or  nieces/nephews with them for example or if they were pensioners themselves that would explain why they may have been reluctant to get involved.

55 minutes ago, JulieH said:

the gane yesterday had 5 football police officers allocated to it which included 2 Sunderland officers.

i am told by the officer that worked yesterday they were made aware of a call to a fight at approx 5.20 pm in marsh road which they immediately went to and found no one there 

he has made enquiries with the dispatcher and there appears to be a delay between you making the call and the police then being dispatched to it hence the delay 

I am happy to speak to you about this and can  only apologise for the delay, I am at work on Tuesday and will try and establish why this happened . 

The incident happened in Ashton Rd, off Marsh Rd, behind the old Mercedes garage, just before Winterstoke Rd.

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

This is a good point.

I can’t believe groups of lads/blokes walking by would turn a blind eye towards fellow City fans getting attacked. From what I’ve seen of our fans in similar situations that would be out of character. 

If the people walking past had their kids or  nieces/nephews with them for example or if they were pensioners themselves that would explain why they may have been reluctant to get involved.

my thoughts exactly. very out of of the ordinary for city fans to turn their back on something like this, I'm imagining the only explanation being they themselves were in no position to offer help. Bad to hear whatever, sounds like a rotten day all round for the OP. 

I'm not sure people would really notice anything, unless there was an actual fight going on, and then if it's a two-way thing and not just a defenceless person getting a kicking any sane person would not want to get involved at all.

There is usually quite a mix of City and away fans walking that way after a game with any interaction being good natured. You will occasionally get groups of away fans singing en masse, but it's fairly rare and people usually just ignore it.

2 hours ago, JulieH said:

Am I alone in being a bit shocked by only 5 officers on duty. I am sure there are guidelines and SOPs for games, but 5 officers for 20,000 people at a football match seems to be inviting this kind of behaviour.

Absolutely shocked and disgusted by this. So sorry to hear it @redmycolour. Wheels falling off on the pitch and now this kind of nonsense going on outside the ground. The Bristol City I know and love would’ve stepped in and supported any and all fellow reds. Goes to show you can have all the cup runs, GIFs and snappy sound bites from LJ, MA and the boys but truth is the club simply isn’t about the fans anymore. Shambles.

22 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

If it was a bank holiday or Sunday and they were on double time I’m sure they would have insisted on a few more.

That seems the usual arrangement to me.

@JulieHwho decides on the number of stewards / police / dog / horses / riot vans required at a game? Why was the Man Utd and Man City games so over the top? 

Not quite right

normal pay on sundays 

each game is assessed in consultation with Bristol city and an assessment sent from the visiting team. Numbers of police , if any, are agreed at this consultation . 

It is also correct thee were 2 local pcsos who were on duty in the area also as part of their normal duty 

it is very normal for this level of policing at Ashton gate. We work alongside the club to accurately get the policing at the correct level. It is a reflection of good fan behaviour at home games that enables us to do this . 

Obvioulsy if there is a risk identified with regards to the fixture then if requested by bcfc the policing levels will increase. 

Sorry to hear that fella. Shame these idiots hadn’t walked the other way toward North Street, because a bunch of Sunderland fans walking up that way with ‘attitude’ got exactly what they asked for. It’s happened a few times last couple of years where ex-Prem teams seem to think they can walk outside the ground singing provocative songs and abusing City fans - they have soon found out that we are not the docile modern football fans they encounter elsewhere. 

I’m sure myself and a lot of folks I know would’ve helped you out had we been there. Shame others just walked on by. Football or just general day to day life, if I see someone getting trouble and being picked on I’ve stepped in to help out. Never had the perpetrators turn on me either, so people really should get more balls and help others out - it really isn’t a dangerous game, the offenders generally get calmed down very quickly. 

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

Not quite right

normal pay on sundays 

each game is assessed in consultation with Bristol city and an assessment sent from the visiting team. Numbers of police , if any, are agreed at this consultation . 

It is also correct thee were 2 local pcsos who were on duty in the area also as part of their normal duty 

it is very normal for this level of policing at Ashton gate. We work alongside the club to accurately get the policing at the correct level. It is a reflection of good fan behaviour at home games that enables us to do this . 

Obvioulsy if there is a risk identified with regards to the fixture then if requested by bcfc the policing levels will increase. 

Did you pay to go purple?

if not should you pay to go Blue

and even more for Blue flashing lights?

and on a more serious not a few years ago a policewoman ran across winterstoke road and took out a guy who was about to hit me or someone else I nearly dropped the teddy bear for a grandson  Money well spent at least for the policewoman.

she may not remember but I do :)

I once intervened when I saw a guy slapping a girl about in Queen’s Square late on a Friday night.....turns out she was his girlfriend, she screamed loads of abuse in my face for restraining him and then they both started laying into me....sort of makes you wonder why you bother .... I appreciate that wasn’t a football-related incident but bystanders are reluctant to get involved...they can end up in trouble...

Archived