IGNORED

onto 1993 local derby, the video.

1960maaan

April 1993 Aston Gate, another win for City. Goals from Morgan and Tinnion giving City a 2-0 lead before they got one back late on. Another good gate of just shy of 22,000 turned up, where for the Bath game just over 7k. The City was ours back then too.

I really enjoyed seeing that again. I still have a vivid memory of Nicky Morgan shaping to shoot for the first goal. He was a quality player. Great atmosphere that night and it was very satisfying seeing that thug Alexander getting sent off. Tinnion's first goal for City as well I think.

I actually quite like Roger Malone's commentary in this one - especially the "cool hand Welch" bit.

2 hours ago, Offside said:

I really enjoyed seeing that again. I still have a vivid memory of Nicky Morgan shaping to shoot for the first goal. He was a quality player. Great atmosphere that night and it was very satisfying seeing that thug Alexander getting sent off. Tinnion's first goal for City as well I think.

I actually quite like Roger Malone's commentary in this one - especially the "cool hand Welch" bit.

Looks like Alexander was told by the keeper to hold his face n go down when he handballs it, cheat

16 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

We've had some belters, Malone, Tottle not forgetting Ian Seymor who though everything was rugby.

Ahhh, old 'full throttle'.

The sound of his away day report down the phone on points west is a treasured childhood memory.

47 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I see a lot of people standing on the Dolman steps - was this the one where the gates between the park end and the Dolman gave way before kickoff due to the crowd, and hundreds got in without a ticket (including me!)

yes mate, that's the one. Was in the Park End for this, top corner by the gas - atmosphere immense. Packed in like sardines and going loopy throughout. Great, great night. 

21 hours ago, Offside said:

Tinnion had only just signed for us and I think he's missus had only given birth to his first child a few days previous?  I'd forgotten about Alexander's antics. Morgan was on goal scoring streak at the time.

I made these notes at the time. Apologies for inaccuracies, I was reliant on a radio broadcast for the details.

Kick off was delayed as 22,000 filled the ground and some fans were locked out but it was a poor game. Ten minutes before half time, Leroy Rosenior broke down the wing and an unmarked Nicky Morgan scored from six yards out past a row of defenders. Brian Tinnion then converted a penalty after a defender handled in the area. Rovers then started playing and scored but it was too late to save the game. City climbed to 16th. position and Rovers were rooted to the bottom of the table.

Archived