IGNORED

Time for some straight talk...!

Michael McIndoe

21 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I have to say @ChappersI am extremely surprised that given the team's position in January, the board/Lee didn't bring in some real quality. I can only think the reasons behind this were that they do not feel the club is ready to take that jump into the PL yet. 

I think this is spot on. I’d also go as far as saying that it might be that BS don’t worry whether BCFC are in the PL or not.

BCFC is only now a part of a larger brand. Why pay PL wages and run the risk that crowds tail off as we get dicked week in week out when you can stay where you are on Championship costs and get - by and large - similar crowds with similar day to day income?

And if the Rugby club continues to do well then perhaps they just might become the preferred child of the BS family.

Maybe that’s why we chose Diony over any of the others who might have been available. Or why Wolves are a nailed on certainty.

4 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

@Michael McIndoe. It is really good to hear the thoughts of an ex Professional who has played for and knows us.

If it really is Michael McIndoe.

(OK, lets not start that again, I know it is really!)

I do think we should have spent a bit more in January (who knows who else we may have tried for though). Keeping hold of Flint (and possibly Joe Bryan) in the summer could be tricky if we don't go up. Even if we don't need to sell, if a Prem team come calling and they want to leave..., we may be further off the pace next season.

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It is not just about what we do . I have noticed more and more teams playing the high energy pressing game that has served us so well up until now .

They have seen our success and copied it .

We being beaten at our own game.

The favourites for promotion at the start of the season have fallen behind as they've not adjusted to the new style .

hi again @Major Isewater. Teams just can't adopt this overnight. They might try it for 3/4 games and see a bit of success but as soon as defenders pass it around them they very quickly become despondent and go back to what they know. 

2 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I’d also go as far as saying that it might be that BS don’t worry whether BCFC are in the PL or not.

I think they'd like to, even if on business terms. Get that nice Sky money, be careful not to blow it all on new players/salaries, get some into the bank for future sustainability.

Even if relegation follows, parachute payments for a couple of years while paying Championship wages again. 

2 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

The question I would ask you @29AR when will the league be ready for an assault more so than when it was back in Jan? 

I'm more surprised that we didn't bring in a right back . 

Pisano is good but obviously out injured and not one of our younger players . 

Vyner is à Centre back and ,even  if we played him at right back , he is inexperienced.

A team aiming for promotion to the Premier League shouldn't be making do and mending .

There are no guarantees in football but a Championship experienced striker and a right back were my hopes for the last transfer window .

Maybe We aren't aiming for the Prem ! 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Vyner is à Centre back and ,even  if we played him at right back , he is inexperienced.

A team aiming for promotion to the Premier League shouldn't be making do and mending .

There are no guarantees in football but a Championship experienced striker and a right back were my hopes for the last transfer window .

Didn' we bring in a prem/championship experienced right back last season? How did that one work out?

21 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I'm not so sure about this and one of the reasons despite our slump we are still in the top 6.

Preston, Sheff Utd and Brentford have only won 2 of their last 6, Boro 3 - so no-one is flying up behind us.

But given the next 6 games for Fulham (Villa, City, Wolves, Derby, Sheff Utd, Preston) things could change a lot in the top 8 over the next month or so.

@Alessandro The words I used were "creeping up" and by this weekend you could be out of the top 6 and in 8th position, which from a players perspective is a massive dent in confidence. 

9 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

hi again @Major Isewater. Teams just can't adopt this overnight. They might try it for 3/4 games and see a bit of success but as soon as defenders pass it around them they very quickly become despondent and go back to what they know. 

Well they recently had their 3/4 games of success against us . 

:grr:

40 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I have to say @ChappersI am extremely surprised that given the team's position in January, the board/Lee didn't bring in some real quality. I can only think the reasons behind this were that they do not feel the club is ready to take that jump into the PL yet. 

Absolutely spot on!! I got shot down for having  this opinion in the sports bar last night, glad I’m not the only one. 

2 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

@Alessandro The words I used were "creeping up" and by this weekend you could be out of the top 6 and in 8th position, which from a players perspective is a massive dent in confidence. 

Yes absolutely, hopefully we turn it into a positive though and use it as incentive. 

After the last few games, I think a few of these players have points to prove.

29 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

I think you are spot-on MM - if SL/the Board/LJ thought that we were, we would have invested in more Championship experienced players in January in my view.

SL is probably of the view that when we go up, he wants us to be able to sustain without investing the £200m in players and significant contracts as this is what has caused the likes of QPR and Sunderland to now start struggling on and off the pitch

I agree with you there @Loosey Boy. We can't every really judge SL's business acumen so I suspect he has a good business plan with it. 

29 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Just want to echo JayJay's comments @Michael McIndoe. It is really good to hear the thoughts of an ex Professional who has played for and knows us.

Thank you @Busterrimes! I've just said on Twitter I'm having a great discussion on here! Still so refreshing to hear a fan's perspective. 

27 minutes ago, j mizel said:

We have struggled recently because we have played with two out & out wingers.

Kent and Paterson want to operate in the same area's of space and aren't able to defend 1v1.

We need Brownhill back in the inside right position. He's also better at linking up with our top scorer, and arguably best player Bob.

Interesting analysis @j mizel. Who would be your strongest XI if all fit and what formation? 

8 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Didn' we bring in a prem/championship experienced right back last season? How did that one work out?

I did say there are ' no guarantees ' but it would seem like less of a gamble to bring in a player who knows the League , English football and the England as a country with it's culture in comparison to an overseas player .

We need a boost right now , for the last third of the season not someone who might take half of those games just to get settled in .

28 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

If reports are to be believed, we had been interested in Diony for 2 years prior to getting him in January, I would hope that having been interested in a player for that long, we would of done all the necessary scouting etc to know what we were getting rather than him just being some random player who we decided to bring in.

If I was to ask you now what are Diony's strengths and weaknesses, what style does he enjoy playing and what system does he operate the best in...what would you say? 

17 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Nice for you to leave the closet. :P

Have said on a previous thread this week, hard to underestimate the mental exertion the 3 big cup games have had. 

After yesterday I think it's pretty unlikely we'll make the play-offs. Being brutally honest I think we're going to lose our next 3 games and that will be that. Which will be hard to take after things up until Jan, but I'm more hopeful than ever that the club is in the rudest health it's been in my lifetime. 

29 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I think this is spot on. I’d also go as far as saying that it might be that BS don’t worry whether BCFC are in the PL or not.

BCFC is only now a part of a larger brand. Why pay PL wages and run the risk that crowds tail off as we get dicked week in week out when you can stay where you are on Championship costs and get - by and large - similar crowds with similar day to day income?

And if the Rugby club continues to do well then perhaps they just might become the preferred child of the BS family.

Maybe that’s why we chose Diony over any of the others who might have been available. Or why Wolves are a nailed on certainty.

It could well be the case, but I'd like to think knowing Steve as I do, he'll want to be mixing it with the best in the top flight, which would in theory give a lot more marketing power to the Bristol brand. 

3 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

If I was to ask you now what are Diony's strengths and weaknesses, what style does he enjoy playing and what system does he operate the best in...what would you say? 

To quote SOD Stupid question

I have never seen him play before. Lee will watch him in training and work out how to play him unless you have the time to watch him train you don't have a clue either

26 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

I do think we should have spent a bit more in January (who knows who else we may have tried for though). Keeping hold of Flint (and possibly Joe Bryan) in the summer could be tricky if we don't go up. Even if we don't need to sell, if a Prem team come calling and they want to leave..., we may be further off the pace next season.

But the amount we spent is irrelevant, Diony has come in on loan with a view to a permanent deal in the summer, that fee is believed to be around £5m+, so if Diony comes good & we sign him permanently in the summer, will that be good as we spent a large fee on a player we got in January?

And if we do go ahead with that fee, does it mean that we won’t spend so much in the summer? Does that mean we’re showing a lack of ambition?

If all fee’s reported regarding Diony are correct, it’ll mean we’re getting him for 60% or so of what St. Etienne paid for him roughly a year earlier, so I’d that poor from the club because we haven’t spent more than what we needed too?

32 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

Haha no please don't start that again! :laughcont:

I have no doubt come the summer @Cider_boythat you'll have some serious offers for your players, which in itself is a good thing. It means whilst they've been at Bristol they have developed, in turn attracting other players from elsewhere to come to Bristol to develop their own skills. 

36 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Older experienced players are more expensive in both wages and fees, not generally so fit, often have recurring injuries and are not trying to impress so much.  I like the clubs philosophy of bringing on younger players and it seems to be working pretty well to me.

I'm not saying it's not working, just identifying areas where you could enhance and reasons for the dip in form. 

59 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

How much does 'real quality' cost you in January though? That's part of the problem. Madine £6m. Hugill  £8m. Neither in my view represent good value signings long-term, especially Madine.  

Another problem for us is wages. I don't know how close you have your ear to the ground Michael but City will not pay top half of the table wages at the moment. So how do we attract the quality players?  

This thread has been a great read so far, by the way.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

How much does 'real quality' cost you in January though? That's part of the problem. Madine £6m. Hugill  £8m. Neither in my view represent good value signings long-term, especially Madine.  

Another problem for us is wages. I don't know how close you have your ear to the ground Michael but City will not pay top half of the table wages at the moment. So how do we attract the quality players?  

This thread has been a great read so far, by the way.

We are all on our best behaviour with respect for the mighty Mac . 

:me?:

Archived