IGNORED

Bristol City u23 v Liverpool u23

OldlandReddies

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Opi Edwards from a free kick but a massive defelction. Could be an own goal even. Interesting GON was over it but let Opi have it. 

Jojo didn’t have much to do. Like watching Gerrard pass compared to FF though. Possibly the best part of his game. 

Rory Holden looks like he could be a good one. Played behind the striker. Has a decent turn of pace but agility on the ball is even better. Turns effortlessly when receiving a pass. He pretty much made our goal with one of his turns and a sublime pass to the wing where the foul was drawn.

Our CB pairing would make the perfect player if you could combine them. Baldwin looks the better athlete. Stronger and quicker but the other Harvey Smith is so composed and is a good tackler. Comfortable on the ball as well. Had one sprint though and it looked slow. 

Opi Edwards has the pace and the motor. Good dribbler and quick. Lucky with the goal. Gets down the wing but never really got a cross in or cut inside to shoot. Guess when he adds that he will be around our first team. 

Pring looks much bigger than I remember. Looks more confident defending than being on the ball though. 

Holden is the one I'm seriously excited about. Every time I've seen him play he looks like one of the best players on the pitch, has a different speed of thought to most players his age, not to mention skilled with the ball.

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Opi Edwards from a free kick but a massive defelction. Could be an own goal even. Interesting GON was over it but let Opi have it. 

Jojo didn’t have much to do. Like watching Gerrard pass compared to FF though. Possibly the best part of his game. 

Rory Holden looks like he could be a good one. Played behind the striker. Has a decent turn of pace but agility on the ball is even better. Turns effortlessly when receiving a pass. He pretty much made our goal with one of his turns and a sublime pass to the wing where the foul was drawn.

Our CB pairing would make the perfect player if you could combine them. Baldwin looks the better athlete. Stronger and quicker but the other Harvey Smith is so composed and is a good tackler. Comfortable on the ball as well. Had one sprint though and it looked slow. 

Opi Edwards has the pace and the motor. Good dribbler and quick. Lucky with the goal. Gets down the wing but never really got a cross in or cut inside to shoot. Guess when he adds that he will be around our first team. 

Pring looks much bigger than I remember. Looks more confident defending than being on the ball though. 

Very impressed with Opi Edwards and Harvey Smith with Holden looking very decent also. Don't think Jojo had one save to make all night but did take crosses well. Not sure I thought his distribution was all that good - still managed to put 4 directly into the stand. Maybe Lee thinks we're really good at defending thrown-ins and it's a strategy.

Thing that struck me was that they played in exactly the same way as the first team - high press, hunting and closing down packs, keeper distributing quickly, good movement. Clearly we're not just buiding a first 11 or a squad but a philosophy for the whole club, top to bottom. Not rocket science, but you can see the plan.

Even more optimistic about the club, even if it was freezing cold tonight...

35 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Very impressed with Opi Edwards and Harvey Smith with Holden looking very decent also. Don't think Jojo had one save to make all night but did take crosses well. Not sure I thought his distribution was all that good - still managed to put 4 directly into the stand. Maybe Lee thinks we're really good at defending thrown-ins and it's a strategy.

Thing that struck me was that they played in exactly the same way as the first team - high press, hunting and closing down packs, keeper distributing quickly, good movement. Clearly we're not just buiding a first 11 or a squad but a philosophy for the whole club, top to bottom. Not rocket science, but you can see the plan.

Even more optimistic about the club, even if it was freezing cold tonight...

Seems they ask the keepers to aim for a winger or fullbacks head on the line. Not a huge margin for error. He did put a few out of play but he looks more Luke Steele than FF kicking even if I did overstate it. 

I thought the same about style. It is very similar to the first team. The pressing, the organisation and the pace of counter attacks. Plus when we do get a bit of possesion it is direct. Careful with the ball but with the intention of getting it forward quickly with few touches. If we were devastated with injury in one position you wouldn’t feel uncomfortable if one had to play a game. You would know that they know when and where to be. 

And I am still not warm

37 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interesting. Holden looks like a talent. What did you think of Semenyo?

Semenyo looks a prospect but far off first team. He has all the physical attributes. I had no idea he was as big as he is. I don’t know the size of the CBs tonight but he is a tall and built. I would guess 6’1 or so. Very quick too and good on the ball. Not sure he knows where or when he should make runs though. Doesn’t know how to use his body yet either. I think we pretty much signed him up from nowhere so to be expected. 

2 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

He didn't impress. Subbed late on.

I thought he, Gary O'Neil, was very good for the youngsters. Always available to take a pass and rarely wasted a pass to his team mates. 

Herbie Kane looked good for Liverpool as did several others in their side.

I was very impressed with City's teamwork, and pressing high up especially in second half, and the game management to win the game. Considering we have around 15 under 23's out on loan, there was a lot of quality in our side. On this showing we have a lot of very promising talent on our books that will grace our first team sooner rather than later. 

No Vyner, Kelly, McCoulsky, Dowling, Moore, O'Leary, Morrell, Plavotic to name but a few, yet we beat Liverpool's level one Academy. The future looks bright. 

To think if we played a full strength U23s side... 

O'Leary

Vyner Moore Platovic Kelly

O'dowda Brownhill  Bakinson Elliason 

Mcclousky Hinds

Shows how good our strength in depth is that 9 of these have played for the first team,  we have a further 16 out on loan and we are still able to put out a good side full of potential, bright times ahead indeed! 

I went down to watch the game Yesterday and thought it was a really good watch. I was impressed by our Number 5: Harvey Smith at CB and Number 10: Rory Holden playing upfront. City did a good job of publicising the game well through all of the usual ways and a big crowd turned up I'm guessing around 750...but what frustrated me was that they never opened up a kiosk to serve drinks/food and sent people outside to the burger van into a 20 minute que. The steward's ended up sending people to KFC as it was quicker to get served...surley the running costs would have been minimal compared to profit made?

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I thought he, Gary O'Neil, was very good for the youngsters. Always available to take a pass and rarely wasted a pass to his team mates. 

Herbie Kane looked good for Liverpool as did several others in their side.

I was very impressed with City's teamwork, and pressing high up especially in second half, and the game management to win the game. Considering we have around 15 under 23's out on loan, there was a lot of quality in our side. On this showing we have a lot of very promising talent on our books that will grace our first team sooner rather than later. 

No Vyner, Kelly, McCoulsky, Dowling, Moore, O'Leary, Morrell, Plavotic to name but a few, yet we beat Liverpool's level one Academy. The future looks bright. 

Are you Alex Ball? :)  His quote from the main site seems very similar. 

“Gary was very good. He helped the younger players with his assuring and ability to recognise moments when he needed to show for the ball, to slow things things down or to quicken the tempo. His experience helped a lot."

No, I'm not Alex Ball, just a long time City fan who has always enjoyed watching our youth teams.

Very interesting game and enjoyed the company of the father of one of our team. I strongly recommend that all of our supporters should go to see Academy games at least a few times each season as it gives one a very good view on how the club is progressing.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

No, I'm not Alex Ball, just a long time City fan who has always enjoyed watching our youth teams.

Very interesting game and enjoyed the company of one of the players father. I strongly recommend that all of our supporters should go to see Academy games at least a few times each season as it gives one a very good view on how the club is progressing.

Agree about taking in academy games.

42 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Great. Think he was signed from SGS college. Although he seems to have plenty of natural ability, he might be a little bit behind in some aspects of his development, joining a professional club a bit later than others who who have been trained from a younger age. 

Yea don’t get me wrong, he looked good at a few things like dribbling, passing and touch. Just needs that tactical knowledge of where and when to make a run in behind or running the channels. So the technical side looks alright just needs the tactical bit but as you said that can be taught. Also with more games his flick ons and hold up play will get better. He let the CBs get the better of him despite being of similar stature. It will be interesting to see his development over the next couple of seasons. Believe he is or was on loan at Bath? Seemed a bit quick for him to get that type of loan but probably trying to fast track his development. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea don’t get me wrong, he looked good at a few things like dribbling, passing and touch. Just needs that tactical knowledge of where and when to make a run in behind or running the channels. So the technical side looks alright just needs the tactical bit but as you said that can be taught. Also with more games his flick ons and hold up play will get better. He let the CBs get the better of him despite being of similar stature. It will be interesting to see his development over the next couple of seasons. Believe he is or was on loan at Bath? Seemed a bit quick for him to get that type of loan but probably trying to fast track his development. 

He's really highly rated hence why he's been fast tracked.

There were a few rumours he was potentially going to make the bench against United but it was Garita instead.

Could O'Neill be the reason we didn't get a right-back in? He's played there numerous times in his career including a play-off final I believe?

A fit Gary O'Neill could be a real bonus for us from now to the end of the season, he'd have been a good option to bring on against Sunderland at 3-2. Really hope he can be a big influence on the squad for his experience at least. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I said the same a while ago. Makes sense to me. Never felt there was any point in bringing in another right back with all these options we have there. 

....we are developing a bit of a theme of expecting players to perform out of position.....its like a live display of the bloody Kama Sutra

15 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Injured attempting the "Eagle Lotus"* position?

(* very experienced Zen black belt Kama Sutra ninjas only)

Sadly there were only Seven that achieved that status and they were all males the art may have died out years ago.

6 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Could O'Neill be the reason we didn't get a right-back in? He's played there numerous times in his career including a play-off final I believe?

A fit Gary O'Neill could be a real bonus for us from now to the end of the season, he'd have been a good option to bring on against Sunderland at 3-2. Really hope he can be a big influence on the squad for his experience at least. 

Hope so. Just hope the legs haven't gone...

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Very interesting game and enjoyed the company of the father of one of our team. I strongly recommend that all of our supporters should go to see Academy games at least a few times each season as it gives one a very good view on how the club is progressing.

Alex Ball is a fair bit younger than @cidered aboroad - no offence CA.

I used to play footie with Alex’s Dad - nice family.

Archived