IGNORED

25 yrs today Andy Cole to Newcastle

54-46

16 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

That is scary... was at the Swindon Newcastle match with a Newcastle supporting mate, when he came on as sub in his first match, the Geordies new nothing about him, of course I did and told them...

Oh! and Swindon won Booooo, but City beat Brum away, :clap:

I was at the Brum away game. Won 1-0, Nicky Morgan, if I remember correctly. 

Although my overriding memory of that game, for some reason, was Leroy Rosenior going through 1-on-1 and noticing for the first time, what a bizarre running style he had. 

He later explained that due to knee problems, he had pretty much had to develop a new way of running to accomodate his injury. Basically one leg went round in a small circle from the knee down, with every step. It looked very odd, but he was a top player. (Ignoring the regular tripe he often puts in his Bristol Post column) 

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Although my overriding memory of that game, for some reason, was Leroy Rosenior going through 1-on-1 and noticing for the first time, what a bizarre running style he had. 

He later explained that due to knee problems, he had pretty much had to develop a new way of running to accomodate his injury. Basically one leg went round in a small circle from the knee down, with every step. It looked very odd, but he was a top player. (Ignoring the regular tripe he often puts in his Bristol Post column) 

He had a similar running style to Buster Footman, weighed down on one side by his bucket and sponge!!  Wonder if Buster influenced it!!

amazing player, a different class. Some of the best goals: Boro when we were down to 10 men and Jacki put him through. Millwall away. Leicester at home, that was the game we knew we'd stay up I reckon. The next season, Pompey in the Dolman, blazing sun, Jacki and Cole taking the piss, Cardiff home 5-1. 

Cole Not Gas 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I remember going to Blues away for that match (this was their first game under Brady / Sullivan) but have always thought we got Cole before mind, Wolves at home as his debut? (the Jacki game!) 

his sister rang my mums fish and chip when i lived at home (true story). we had gone over to hungrey back in 92 to watch england paly a warm up game for euro 92 . cole made his debut in a b match/under 23 game and i took some pictures . think i contacted him via bristol city but it was a long time ago so not to sure. best player i have ever seen in a city shirt!!

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

.....and we could have got double what we sold him for according to Keegan’s autobiography....he claims our board panicked and accepted their first offer!

It was the same story with Bob Taylor. 

Our board at the time were never the sharpest knives in the drawer. 

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

.....and we could have got double what we sold him for according to Keegan’s autobiography....he claims our board panicked and accepted their first offer!

Correct. As I recall Keegan said he was prepared to pay us £4m for Cole. We let him go for peanuts, and no sell on clause. Talk about mis-managing the business. Terrible cock-up.

One of my earliest games was BCFC vs Ipswich, 18th April 1992. Ipswich were pushing for the league title (which I believe they did get that season). We won 2-1 and I'm pretty sure Andy Cole was one of the scorers and Rosenior got the other. Was sat with my Dad in the old family area and got Martin Scott's autograph!

9 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Correct. As I recall Keegan said he was prepared to pay us £4m for Cole. We let him go for peanuts, and no sell on clause. Talk about mis-managing the business. Terrible cock-up.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one buzzing when Man Utd bought him from Newcastle - at the time 700 grand from a 10% sell-on was very decent wedge. Then came the news, ah, umm, we forgot to put it in. Calamitous.

Loved the 90s era, but as a club we were all over the shop! 

3 minutes ago, WelshRobin said:

One of my earliest games was BCFC vs Ipswich, 18th April 1992. Ipswich were pushing for the league title (which I believe they did get that season). We won 2-1 and I'm pretty sure Andy Cole was one of the scorers and Rosenior got the other. Was sat with my Dad in the old family area and got Martin Scott's autograph!

great match, we were escaping relegation with ease and getting crowds of 15-17,000 - at the time, massive for us. That Ipswich game, I remember it for Jacki's 'escape to victory' style flick over the head! I'm sure there was even a smoke bomb in the Grandstand, I think the first pyro I'd ever seen at football (it was feeble but so exciting for a young teen!) 

19 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I was at the game too. My abiding memory is the chilled liquid shite being peddled as coffee from the away end snack bar.

7 hours ago, OneCity said:

All we got up front from Newcastle was £50k.

Osman then went and spent that on Glen Pennyfather :facepalm:

On 12/02/2018 at 23:28, Bar BS3 said:

I remember once sitting in the East End and watching him run towards the goal at the Open End and I wondered why the hell he was running like that?

Now I know.

Archived