IGNORED

Will we make play offs?

barneyrubble

It's going to be great end to the season we've had a bad run and saturdays result was awful.However I feel that this group of players may still have a surprise for some in this league who think we've blown it.Despite our run we are still top 6 and in the bunch and wouldn't surprise me if we went on a good run again, the fans need to stick with the team and see what happens. At the end of the day ,1 we are safe and 2 we've made a cup semi final which at the start of the season would have been great. Prediction we will make play offs.

Also, we have at least 3 first teamers due back from long term injury. This will be like having bought 3 players in the transfer window. 

With Fammy getting more game time plus a couple of goals, it won't be long before he will be 100% match fit for 90 minutes. 

I think Milan will be the bonus. He proved effective when used as an injured target man or a part-time battering ram. Imagine what a 100% fit, fully functioning battery ram would have done to Sunderland!

Can see us just sneaking into the play offs like we are now, teams like Middlesbrough and Preston are no push over plus that red lot in Sheffield would make a good go at it like we did in our first season back in championship in 07. Just hope there is no more injuries or miserable games like on Saturday as the morale is likely to hit the ground. COYR

Nope, can't see it this time.

My theory is that the cup run gave us so much confidence and momentum that it enabled us to play above ourselves for a while. Our form from October to the end of the year was just unreal and we were never strong enough to keep it going. I think we still lack depth and with a few players having lost form, will probably level out at about 9th or 10th.

This may seem pessimistic but it would represent real progress and there is no reason why we can't build on it and challenge again next year. The pieces are slowly coming together, I just don't think we are quite good enough or (even more crucially) nasty enough this time around.

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I think the odds are in our favour about 60-40 for the top 6, but only about 10-1 for the top 2. Looking at the teams outside the top 6 currently there's nothing special there, it's really in our hands.

10-1 for top two? Behave.

More like 1000-1, Villa have just won their last six in the league, (we have picked up 5 points during this time) and even with Kodjia out they have a very strong squad, far, far better than ours.

We could still make the top six (but need to find out mojo again soon to do so), we have realistically next to no chance of finishing top two.

7 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I think Milan will be the bonus. He proved effective when used as an injured target man or a part-time battering ram. Imagine what a 100% fit, fully functioning battery ram would have done to Sunderland!

Shame we've already played Sunderland twice then, really! 

With the dust settled from Saturday, we have to take a wider outlook - we've played some fabulous football this season and have a genuinely talented side with a bright manager at the helm. A couple of months ago this board was filled with people claiming this to be the best, most exciting team they'd seen in 50-odd years. Nothing has changed. We're on an awkward run, we've had rotten luck with injuries and we've shot our own foot off a cpl of times. But, fundamentally, everything is still in place.

We're dreadfully inexperienced at competing at the top of this level, and lately the learning curve has been steep. I'm of the firm belief we should have splashed out on a cpl of extra players but we didn't and we have to move on. We're in with a great shout. I'm optimistic. Not of promotion, but of more top drawer football and plenty of thrills - that should see us into the playoffs and once there, as we know, anything goes. 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

10-1 for top two? Behave.

More like 1000-1, Villa have just won their last six in the league, (we have picked up 5 points during this time) and even with Kodjia out they have a very strong squad, far, far better than ours.

We could still make the top six (but need to find out mojo again soon to do so), we have realistically next to no chance of finishing top two.

Can I back it with you at 1000/1? :fingerscrossed:

I think, if we can keep the mentality right, this difficult run could work in our favour. I think the major problem we have is that we play much better as underdogs because teams come at us and give us space to attack them. If teams think we are out of form and fancy having a go then it might actually help us to improve. 

I think the next 3 games will give us a good indication one way or another, a couple of wins and we are back on track for a top 6 finish I feel, our form since Xmas has been poor and it has to change starting at Leeds on Sunday, if we drop out the top 6 in the next couple of weeks can't see us getting back in.

Archived