IGNORED

Ryan Mason

RUSSEL85

What terrible news for the young man.

Hull City midfielder Ryan Mason has been forced to retire at the age of 26 as a result of the fractured skull he suffered against Chelsea in 2017.

Mason, who won one cap for England in 2015, had to have surgery after a clash of heads with Gary Cahill.

He started his career with Tottenham Hotspur and joined the Tigers for a club record fee, believed to be about £13m, in August 2016.

Mason made 20 appearances for Hull, scoring twice.

When I take my lad to rrrrrrugby on a Sunday morning, some of the rugger-bugger bores/dads like to repeat the tired old thing about football being a "non-contact sport" and wink-winking that football is a game for "fairies" and so on. I told one once to youtube that tackle that snapped the Everton fullback's leg playing for ROI v Wales. I can include this one now. 

It's not as physical as rugby - clearly - but it's not as much of a teddy bear's picnic as it looks when they watch it on television either. It's a game not without risk of serious injury, as this case sadly shows.

All contact sports have a risk of serious injury so it is silly to compare one with another.

If we wrapped everyone in cottonwool while doing sports or exploring treacherous places on the planet, we'd still be living as chimps in the trees of Africa. Sad when it happens but where hazards exist, then we all go into it with eyes wide open.

Desperately sad for the guy, and got to feel for Gary Cahill too, he's ended the career of a fellow professional, completely accidentally it must be said, but I imagine he will be suffering.

Obviously no idea whether it would have made a difference in this case, but out of interest, would an outfield player be allowed to wear the same sort of protection that Petr Cech wears?

I would guess that the psychological scars of his injury have played just as big a part as the actual physical scars. 

After medically getting the all clear to return to his career, it must of been so much harder to actually get out there & do it all again knowing that someone else’s actions could determine his life again & if you can’t get past that psychological fear, it’s more or less impossible to move on with your life.

Now hopefully he will be able to find himself a new career, one where he doesn’t have to carry that fear with him & he is still very young & still has plenty of time to build a new life for him & his family, it won’t be easy but having that fear removed from his life will be a huge weight lifted from his shoulders.

Good luck to him.

15 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Desperately sad for the guy, and got to feel for Gary Cahill too, he's ended the career of a fellow professional, completely accidentally it must be said, but I imagine he will be suffering.

Obviously no idea whether it would have made a difference in this case, but out of interest, would an outfield player be allowed to wear the same sort of protection that Petr Cech wears?

Good point, although you cant avoid heading the ball in a game and there still risk of a boot to the head, or elbow which could still cause damage, especially if they still have a team like Cardiff to play!

47 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

I remember Miguel Llera wearing one for Sheffield Wednesday. Not sure if he wore it at Scunthorpe after that. I suppose it just depends on the injury.

Desperately sad news and as you say, you have to feel for Gary Cahill too.

scrum hat llera.jpg

59 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's dreadfully sad although extremely sensible of the lad.

Would he have some kind of insurance re future earnings through the PFA? 

I am pretty sure footballers have pretty decent insurance, should they need it.

However, the MANvFAT league I play in is run by Mark McKeever (ex-gas but a decent bloke) who had his playing career ended through injury and his insurance was invalidated because he tried to play on after the injury, so he got nothing in the end.

Archived