IGNORED

Daniel Sturridge

phantom

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So a player’s performance can be rated 6 out of 10 before he’s even touched the ball and before the game has started?! So if Sturridge’s only touch before he went off injured had been a successful tackle then presumably you’d have agreed with a 10 out of 10 rating for his three minute appearance - as everything he did in that three minute period was 100% successful?!

No, he’d probably stay around a six as he was solid but unspectacular. To get to a 10 in three minutes you’d have to have an unbelievable and devastating impact on the game.

I don’t think it’s any more ridiculous to suggest that a player starts at 6/10 than it is to say they start at 0/10. The start on par - which we’re calling 6 for argument’s sake - then move up or down based on performance.

If I came on for City for two minutes and did nothing wrong a 6 would be fair. If I was on for any longer and it became evident that I was the utterly terrible footballer that I am, no doubt my score would plummet like a stone.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Touched the ball once I think, do you really think he can be rated higher than guys who played the whole game, based on one touch?!

If that’s the case, then ought to be "not rated - didn’t play enough minutes", but I suspect the rating will be part of some Fantasy Footie scoring system, so has to get a mark.

I guess my point was the reporter starts with a 6 and he didn’t do anything for it go up or down.

Of course he might not have been there!

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If that’s the case, then ought to be "not rated - didn’t play enough minutes", but I suspect the rating will be part of some Fantasy Footie scoring system, so has to get a mark.

I guess my point was the reporter starts with a 6 and he didn’t do anything for it go up or down.

Of course he might not have been there!

I didn’t think of the possible link to Fantasy Footie stuff....interesting.

In one game I once scored from 30 yards with my one and only touch - surely that would have got me a 10/10 rating?!!! You might have been playing in that game. I came on as sub, accepted a pass straightaway and unleashed an unstoppable piledriver into the top left corner. But as soon as I hit it I felt my hammy go and hobbled off whilst taking the plaudits that such a strike deserved! I think my ‘warm up’ wasn’t too professional! I probably jogged about seven yards along the touchline, touched my toes twice and sprinted on feeling fully prepared!

Yep, defo deserved a 10 rating!

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I didn’t think of the possible link to Fantasy Footie stuff....interesting.

In one game I once scored from 30 yards with my one and only touch - surely that would have got me a 10/10 rating?!!! You might have been playing in that game. I came on as sub, accepted a pass straightaway and unleashed an unstoppable piledriver into the top left corner. But as soon as I hit it I felt my hammy go and hobbled off whilst taking the plaudits that such a strike deserved! I think my ‘warm up’ wasn’t too professional! I probably jogged about seven yards along the touchline, touched my toes twice and sprinted on feeling fully prepared!

Yep, defo deserved a 10 rating!

Was it at the Azteca Bush?  If so, I do vaguely remember you ‘scloofing’ (think that was term used in the following week’s match day programme!) a shot from 30 yards.  I do remember you having a rule that all subs (if we hand any) all came on at half-time!!  So we probably ended up with 10 men too!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was it at the Azteca Bush?  If so, I do vaguely remember you ‘scloofing’ (think that was term used in the following week’s match day programme!) a shot from 30 yards.  I do remember you having a rule that all subs (if we hand any) all came on at half-time!!  So we probably ended up with 10 men too!

Nah, it was an away game.....but I did score quite regularly from 30 yards...at least that’s what I decided every goal was like whilst waxing lyrical in the pub afterwards!

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nah, it was an away game.....but I did score quite regularly from 30 yards...at least that’s what I decided every goal was like whilst waxing lyrical in the pub afterwards!

The Azteca Bush was a very small pitch, to scale every goal seemed like 30 yards!  :P

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

B%€&ocks was it.  How come our keeper regularly got shots on target from drop kicks and once got to to ‘one-bounce’ over the bar?

It was the maximum size....I had to sign the forms every year....our keeper was super talented as you know and turned down approaches from City, Rovers, Pompey and Watford...that’s why he could kick it so well...

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It was the maximum size....I had to sign the forms every year....our keeper was super talented as you know and turned down approaches from City, Rovers, Pompey and Watford...that’s why he could kick it so well...

You mean it met the minimum 100yards x 50yards.

If you ever played at Patchway Town, you’’ll know that the Azteca was as small as you could get.

21 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Always thought he was a very good striker in his prime, but not a top top striker. Always lacked work rate. Very good in a team that's flying like Liverpool were that season. But always felt he was a little bit overrated. My Liverpool fan mate says a prime Sturridge is world class and is better than Harry Kane. Not in a million years. 

Two different kind of strikers. For raw ability Sturridge wins hands down and injuries aside could of entered the bracket of "world class". Kane is a good useful striker but his languid style will never put him up with the elite. A poor mans Jurgen Klinsmann.

1 hour ago, Assassin Reid said:

Two different kind of strikers. For raw ability Sturridge wins hands down and injuries aside could of entered the bracket of "world class". Kane is a good useful striker but his languid style will never put him up with the elite. A poor mans Jurgen Klinsmann.

Laughable comment.

1 hour ago, Assassin Reid said:

As they say in golf, it's not the how but how many. Ultimately, a strikers job is to put the ball in the net and whether he does it with a languid style or not, Kane does it as well, if not better than pretty well anyone else at the moment. The fact that Real Madrid are rumoured to be offering £200m for him in the summer might just indicate that he's up there with the very best.

I think the thing with Kane is that he doesn't look as quick and dynamic as , say, Salah or Aguero, but he always seems to get himself easily into the right positions in and around the box and makes his finishing look calm and clinical.I think  he's the best we've had since Shearer. I also think that Kane is more of an overall asset to a team than is Sturridge.

Sturridge, when on it, it a tremendous natural finisher, but seems to have a phycological issue around his fitness - not sure whether it is his fitness that causes that or his mental attitude that "creates" his fitness issues. Whatever, a player cannot establish himself at a top premier league club playing once in a blue moon.

11 hours ago, Assassin Reid said:

9 hours ago, Super said:

Laughable comment.

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Really!? There's nothing kane can't do. Not sure what Sturridge was in his prime better at apart from pace. 

7 hours ago, Super said:

101 in 139 games for Spurs in Premier league says it all.

Kane is a funny one for me.  He has a fantastic scoring record, but I don’t see him as a fantastic footballer.  He is a great finisher, but I often look back on games and think what else does he do?  Other times I see some of his play around the box, and I think, "ah, yeah, that’s it, that’s that bit of quality I’ve missed in other games".

I think I also suffer from not watching every Tottenham game, yet I'll watch every England game, where he’s playing for an average team,  and therefore doesn’t get the service.

I guess he’s not a flash player, and probably does a lot of stuff off the ball as a lone striker that doesn’t cone across on the telly, whereas if you see him live, you can see more of his overall game.

Archived