IGNORED

Bristol Bike Thefts

myol'man

This has been going on for some time, little scroats from Southmead/Lawrence Weston etc. nicking mopeds and motorbikes, boasting about it online and then destroying them. But the story about the prized vintage 1951 Triumph Thunderbird really makes your blood boil.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-bike-thief-torches-vintage-1210467

Local vigilantes have given up waiting for the police to deal with it and have started naming and shaming, although it looks like most, nor thier or their parents have any shame  :grr:

Any info, pass it on. 

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

This has been going on for some time, little scroats from Southmead/Lawrence Weston etc. nicking mopeds and motorbikes, boasting about it online and then destroying them. But the story about the prized vintage 1951 Triumph Thunderbird really makes your blood boil.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-bike-thief-torches-vintage-1210467

Local vigilantes have given up waiting for the police to deal with it and have started naming and shaming, although it looks like most, nor thier or their parents have any shame  :grr:

Any info, pass it on. 

They nicked it from a garage too. I'm convinced I've got to weld mine to the drive to keep it safe. My father and a friend have both had theirs nicked in the last 6 months. Luckily they couldn't start either and were both abandoned nearby, with only damage to the steering lock and ignition. My neighbour wasn't so lucky and they torched his after they couldn't start it.

This makes me bl00dy angry. It also makes me paranoid - I've got ground anchors , U- locks, bike covers , the bl00dy lot. Unfortunately , if they want it - they will find away. It's not just a Bristol problem either - a mate of mine who lives in the middle of nowhere in the Wye valley , had his much loved XR650 Supermoto thieved from a locked garage. Another good mate , came home from a nightshift on his R6 , put the bike in his garage , rushed in the house for a p155, went back to lock it and it was gone. Literally left for about 5 minutes. That was Caldicot.. If anybody thieved my Bikes and I caught them , it would not be responsible for my actions.

It is amazing how the police are dealing with this. Because it is motorcycle theft they don't give a s**t but all of you saying if they nick my bike I would give them a slap I can tell you 1000 per cent you will be put in front the courts and dealt with and the little bastards will be laughing at you as the judge sends you down. 

Basically its heads they win tails you lose. 

If they nick my bike I would be absolutely gutted but no way would I put my self in a position where I would do time for them

17 hours ago, harry may said:

This makes me bl00dy angry. It also makes me paranoid - I've got ground anchors , U- locks, bike covers , the bl00dy lot. Unfortunately , if they want it - they will find away. It's not just a Bristol problem either - a mate of mine who lives in the middle of nowhere in the Wye valley , had his much loved XR650 Supermoto thieved from a locked garage. Another good mate , came home from a nightshift on his R6 , put the bike in his garage , rushed in the house for a p155, went back to lock it and it was gone. Literally left for about 5 minutes. That was Caldicot.. If anybody thieved my Bikes and I caught them , it would not be responsible for my actions.

A bit like the old story of ;

"I've had my garage broken into but they've gone now" ....plod don't bother coming out

"I've had my garage broken into, and they are still in there" ..... plod turns up an hour later

"I've had my garage broken into, they are still in there and I'm pointing my Grandads old 12 bore at them" .....plod turns up in 2 minutes flat ....and nicks you!

:grr:

3 hours ago, myol'man said:

A bit like the old story of ;

"I've had my garage broken into but they've gone now" ....plod don't bother coming out

"I've had my garage broken into, and they are still in there" ..... plod turns up an hour later

"I've had my garage broken into, they are still in there and I'm pointing my Grandads old 12 bore at them" .....plod turns up in 2 minutes flat ....and nicks you!

:grr:

When my car was broken in Christmas Eve before last I called Police and they said unless they were still outside my car they wouldn’t bother.  I got in my car and found them driving off sharpish. 4 v 1 meant I wasn’t going to challenge them but even giving the registration plate they still didn’t follow it up.  Didn’t even look at my car and issued a crime no/get stuffed letter two days later 

Surely the police will have to start taking this seriously now these idiots are demanding monies for the return of stolen bikes?

From what I’d read previously I thought these thieves were just opportunists who stole sport bikes to rant and show off on Facebook/Twitter to their equally dullard mates, once you start getting classic bikes taken from secure garages it becomes a whole new ball game.

What I do know about this is that a bikers association and the owner of the vintage bike that was torched was working with the police closely over this particular matter.

The police pretty much begged the tossers at the BristolPost not to run their story about the said bike being ransomed but of course they ignored that request and ran the story and tonight have run another similar story.

.....And so it comes to this....

An open letter to Bristol Post editor Mike Norton

Dear Mr Norton,

To say Bristol’s biking community is disappointed with your paper’s coverage of recent bike thefts in the city is an understatement in the extreme.

The way you are publicising the thieves’ social media antics is reckless, irresponsible and is causing even more distress to those who have already had their prized possessions taken from them.

We understand the police asked you not to run the story about the stolen Triumph yesterday as further publicity could hamper their investigation and could ultimately lead to the bike being torched. We understand the police expressed their fears the bike would become too ‘hot’ and the thieves would want rid of it. Yet despite this request, you went ahead and published the story. An hour later the bike was set on fire.

You, however indirectly, are responsible for that bike being set on fire and you should publically apologise to the victim for the loss and suffering you caused its owner.

You should also be ashamed of your coverage and, in particular, of the opinion piece you have published this afternoon.

You accuse the police of being a laughing stock but while you are playing directly into the hands of those responsible, helping them gain the notoriety they crave, the police are working with us to catch them.

Their task, which gets harder as money gets tighter, is made harder still by your provocative reporting.

Every time you publicise the so-called ‘dossier’ of names of suspects you’re giving each of them the attention they seek. Your information is often wrong and by sharing it you only demonstrate your own ignorance of the facts.

The police are only too aware of the social media accounts and the way the thieves have been goading and taunting us with their criminal behaviour, and are doing everything they can to investigate any leads. The more you share, discuss and publicise their behaviour, the more they will continue to flaunt their actions in our face, stealing our bikes to get the reaction they desire.

We expect the editor of a local newspaper to be a trusted voice and powerful campaigner, alongside the community, on issues which are important to the paper’s readership. Sadly, this isn’t the case.

The quality of journalism of a once great paper for Bristol has taken a dramatic nosedive in recent times. Professional balanced journalism has been replaced by a voracious appetite for deliberately controversial or sensationalist click-bait.

For the sake of the biking community in Bristol we want you to acknowledge the damage you are doing and begin to behave in a way we would expect of a fair, responsible but challenging local paper.

The Bristol Bike Theft Awareness Group

54 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

What I do know about this is that a bikers association and the owner of the vintage bike that was torched was working with the police closely over this particular matter.

The police pretty much begged the tossers at the BristolPost not to run their story about the said bike being ransomed but of course they ignored that request and ran the story and tonight have run another similar story.

.....And so it comes to this....

An open letter to Bristol Post editor Mike Norton

Dear Mr Norton,

To say Bristol’s biking community is disappointed with your paper’s coverage of recent bike thefts in the city is an understatement in the extreme.

The way you are publicising the thieves’ social media antics is reckless, irresponsible and is causing even more distress to those who have already had their prized possessions taken from them.

We understand the police asked you not to run the story about the stolen Triumph yesterday as further publicity could hamper their investigation and could ultimately lead to the bike being torched. We understand the police expressed their fears the bike would become too ‘hot’ and the thieves would want rid of it. Yet despite this request, you went ahead and published the story. An hour later the bike was set on fire.

You, however indirectly, are responsible for that bike being set on fire and you should publically apologise to the victim for the loss and suffering you caused its owner.

You should also be ashamed of your coverage and, in particular, of the opinion piece you have published this afternoon.

You accuse the police of being a laughing stock but while you are playing directly into the hands of those responsible, helping them gain the notoriety they crave, the police are working with us to catch them.

Their task, which gets harder as money gets tighter, is made harder still by your provocative reporting.

Every time you publicise the so-called ‘dossier’ of names of suspects you’re giving each of them the attention they seek. Your information is often wrong and by sharing it you only demonstrate your own ignorance of the facts.

The police are only too aware of the social media accounts and the way the thieves have been goading and taunting us with their criminal behaviour, and are doing everything they can to investigate any leads. The more you share, discuss and publicise their behaviour, the more they will continue to flaunt their actions in our face, stealing our bikes to get the reaction they desire.

We expect the editor of a local newspaper to be a trusted voice and powerful campaigner, alongside the community, on issues which are important to the paper’s readership. Sadly, this isn’t the case.

The quality of journalism of a once great paper for Bristol has taken a dramatic nosedive in recent times. Professional balanced journalism has been replaced by a voracious appetite for deliberately controversial or sensationalist click-bait.

For the sake of the biking community in Bristol we want you to acknowledge the damage you are doing and begin to behave in a way we would expect of a fair, responsible but challenging local paper.

The Bristol Bike Theft Awareness Group

That's just awful. I nearly cried when I saw that lovely machine in flames. The BEP is truly dreadful, I hope the police can get the thieves soon 

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

That's just awful. I nearly cried when I saw that lovely machine in flames. The BEP is truly dreadful, I hope the police can get the thieves soon 

3 arrested today, 2 charged with 'offences' one 14 one 17 and another 14 year old bailed and as I said the tossers at the post have run another story about another bike being held to ransom, that paper is just a piece of shit these days.

20 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

3 arrested today, 2 charged with 'offences' one 14 one 17 and another 14 year old bailed and as I said the tossers at the post have run another story about another bike being held to ransom, that paper is just a piece of shit these days.

Click bait shit nothing more 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Nothing will happen to them though, slap on the wrist, suspended sentence, all for causing misery, financial hardship and destroying an irreplaceable classic.  Like I said, until they nick the wrong persons bike and get their concrete boots, they won’t be deterred by our out of touch justice system.

Archived