IGNORED

We lost our first line of defence.

brady bunch

Quite a lot stood out for me and I am sure many others in the second half of Sunderland. Yes LJ should have brought on fresh legs earlier, in hindsight Bobby should of stayed on, but for me it was the total lack of tackles and half hearted attempts to block off Sunderland coming forward by the front 4 (Diony,Fram, Patto and Kent) that killed us.

With Fram & Kent they had both put in MOM performances in the first 65 minutes and simply ran out of steam in my view, but Kent needs to learn that it going to take more then just tracking back that is needed, his tackling is poor and mostly he just stands off his man. Diony can be forgiven for beingrusty in front of goal, but offered little or nothing to our defence. 

We got to 2nd by the forwards like Bobby not only putting opponants under pressure, but agressively tackling and winning the ball. LJ need to get the new lads to start doing that as well.

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

Quite a lot stood out for me and I am sure many others in the second half of Sunderland. Yes LJ should have brought on fresh legs earlier, in hindsight Bobby should of stayed on, but for me it was the total lack of tackles and half hearted attempts to block off Sunderland coming forward by the front 4 (Diony,Fram, Patto and Kent) that killed us.

With Fram & Kent they had both put in MOM performances in the first 65 minutes and simply ran out of steam in my view, but Kent needs to learn that it going to take more then just tracking back that is needed, his tackling is poor and mostly he just stands off his man. Diony can be forgiven for beingrusty in front of goal, but offered little or nothing to our defence. 

We got to 2nd by the forwards like Bobby not only putting opponants under pressure, but agressively tackling and winning the ball. LJ need to get the new lads to start doing that as well.

Bobby was injured that why he did not start the second half.

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Johnson said he should have kept him on so he wasnt very injured at all

He took a bad knock just before half time and it was best to sub him as we was In  front  and did not want to risk him in second half .

what lee said he should of made the two subs earlier.

13 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I was wondering if there's any new ways of further analysing or restating the mistakes made in our disastrous loss v Sunderland and hey presto.

I analyse 3-3 as a draw.

43 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Johnson said he should have kept him on so he wasnt very injured at all

He was limping just before the half time whistle and when he didn't appear for the second 45 i and all those around me assumed he was injured.

Where/when did LJ say that Reid wasn't injured?

36 minutes ago, swanker said:

I’ve never seen a game like it, we should have scored a couple more in the second half and Sunderland never looked like scoring but managed three. Shocking!

Here we go again! They never "managed" three! They had more luck than a lottery jackpot winner

I doubt you could ever replicate the two own goals, let alone one, ever again. 

Yes maybe an earlier replacement, or even allowing us to make the changes already waiting on the touchline. Many chances not taken, no penalty.

I left feeling as frustrated as the next man but when I saw their goals on the box you just have to shrug your shoulders and think, Sunderland, what bloody lucky barstewards!!!!

21 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Here we go again! They never "managed" three! They had more luck than a lottery jackpot winner

I doubt you could ever replicate the two own goals, let alone one, ever again. 

Yes maybe an earlier replacement, or even allowing us to make the changes already waiting on the touchline. Many chances not taken, no penalty.

I left feeling as frustrated as the next man but when I saw their goals on the box you just have to shrug your shoulders and think, Sunderland, what bloody lucky barstewards!!!!

They never managed three?  I know they didn’t but three went in. As for watching the goals again on the box, I’d rather not, once was enough!

3 hours ago, Coombsy said:

He took a bad knock just before half time and it was best to sub him as we was In  front  and did not want to risk him in second half .

what lee said he should of made the two subs earlier.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

He was limping just before the half time whistle and when he didn't appear for the second 45 i and all those around me assumed he was injured.

Where/when did LJ say that Reid wasn't injured?

Johnson said that Reid wanted to stay on but he decided to take him off as we were 3-0 up.  He then said that was a bad decision.  That means he wasnt too badly injured and could have carried on.  

Said it in one of his interviews

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Johnson said that Reid wanted to stay on but he decided to take him off as we were 3-0 up.  He then said that was a bad decision.  That means he wasnt too badly injured and could have carried on.  

Said it in one of his interviews

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Lee wanted us to go for goals rather than'shut up shop' just a pity that we did score another 2 goals but in our own net. Nobody in the stadium thought that was going to happen

48 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I wasn't surprised they came back into it. They looked quite dangerous at times in the first half. And we looked a bit all over the place at times. It was an obvious decision to tighten it up second half. Don't need hindsight to see that. 

You’re probably in a very small minority who at half-time thought we should play out a 3-0.

I know how tough this league is and even I was saying, let’s not leave it late to unleash Diony and Engvall, be good to win this 5 or 6 and see them get 30/35 minutes.  I was very happy to see Diony on at h-t.

Did anyone see Flint go and have a discussion with LJ straight after we scored our second, he was more intent in going to speak to the coaches than celebrate the goal with his team mates. I’m wondering if it was a tactic that we had prepared for, an agreement that if we went a couple up to shut up shop. I only saw this discussion from the Dolman so not sure if it was a ‘go for it order’ but we went on to score another so I guess so. No doubt a similar discussion was held at HT, but we didn’t seem to be ‘going for it’ or ‘shutting up shop’ in the 2nd half.

Yes no one could have predicted 2 cruel own goals, but we were floundering. I did post on here previously about Bobby having a knock and was hobbling, but wanted to continue from what LJ had said. But in his defence we were 3 goals up, no one saw what happened in the 2nd half coming at that point. If Bobby had continued and done damage putting him out for weeks LJ would have been slaughtered for that, no doubt about it.

With hindsite he got the subs wrong, but in my opinion he got the team set up badly from the start too. Leave Wright at RB and straight swop Baker for Mags. We might not have gone in 3 up at HT but we wouldn’t have thrown away the win either I don’t think.

I don't think anyone would have disagreed with the decision to take off Reid, who had a knock and is a vitally important player, and give Diony a go against a shambolic defence. I can guarantee that, win or lose, had Johnson not made that sub there would be plenty on here asking what the point was in signing Diony if we're not going to play him.

Things went wrong but that happens. If there was a single main fault in the management last season it was probably a tendency to over-analyse things and tinker too much. Learn from mistakes of course, make sure the players stay switched on and giving 100% right to the end, but let's not pretend something is badly wrong when it's just an unfortunate result.

Archived