IGNORED

Guardian - The Knowledge

Silvio Dante

One of the regular items in the Guardian is “The Knowledge” section where quirks and statistical oddities of football are debated (sample question: Bristol Rovers still consider themselves Bristol City’s rivals despite not having been above them for 17 years. Is there a longer or more embarrassing gap of this nature?)

Anyhuse, an actual question relating to BCFC is in this weeks edition. Anyone clarify if this did happen as it’s before my time???

3B71EDAF-5F75-44FB-BC94-37F1897ED72D.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

One of the regular items in the Guardian is “The Knowledge” section where quirks and statistical oddities of football are debated (sample question: Bristol Rovers still consider themselves Bristol City’s rivals despite not having been above them for 17 years. Is there a longer or more embarrassing gap of this nature?)

Anyhuse, an actual question relating to BCFC is in this weeks edition. Anyone clarify if this did happen as it’s before my time???

3B71EDAF-5F75-44FB-BC94-37F1897ED72D.jpeg

There is a Glos cricket story told by David Allen at a dinner in the early 60s at a Downend CC dinner in Chipping Sodbury.

Glos were playing Oxford University.  It was a great batting wicket.  WG went into the University's changing room and said to the captain, 'get your team out on the pitch immediately, young man'.  The university captain, very embarrassed, did as ordered. Only after the university had bowled the first over did the Oxford team realise that they had not had not tossed up.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

A team I played for had our striker booked for asking the ref how long was left as soon as he blew for kick off.

”Ungentlemanly conduct” apparently...

I got booked once for (this is what the ref’s report said):

"I booked said player for clapping me in what I deemed a sarcastic manner"

8 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I've no idea about the answer but I would imagine the game in question would have been 9th Feb 1980 and City won 2-1.

I would imagine this was the only time we played Everton in the 80's and until we met them in a friendly in 94 I think?

Feb half-term. Tuesday evening, I was in the Schoolboys enclosure. 50p! Keith Fear left by then, pretty sure ( @GrahamC ?) That wasn't on MOTD, don't think.

We can't have won many more top class games after that night.

And John Bailey played that night. 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I got booked once for (this is what the ref’s report said):

"I booked said player for clapping me in what I deemed a sarcastic manner"

I’m still bitter for in a game, where playing CH, I’d won every header and subsequently I’d realised the CF wasn’t “up” for the challenge.

Next ball up, I shouted “xxxx is up”, waited for him to cower and didn’t jump - just took two steps back and let it land at my feet.

Got booked, again, “ungentlemanly conduct”.

I’m probably bitter because I didn’t get the better of many strikers and hence the opportunity!

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m still bitter for in a game, where playing CH, I’d won every header I’d realised the CF wasn’t “up” for the challenge.

Next ball up, I shouted “xxxx is up”, waited for him to cower and didn’t jump - just took two steps back and let it land at my feet.

Got booked, again, “ungentlemanly conduct”.

I’m probably bitter because I didn’t get the better of many strikers and hence the opportunity!

He he.

i got booked 4 times very early on in the season and was trying to escape a ban, when I dragged back their CF.  The ref was the same ref who’d booked me the week before and we’d had quite a debate in the bar after the game.  He called me over and said "you kinda convinced me last week’s yellow was harsh, so I’ll let you off this week".  Didnt get booked again that season, mainly because I missed half of it through injury!

Back in the early 70s I was booked for swearing at one of my own team mates. Yes I know,  but back in those days swearing was frowned upon. Throughout the rest of the game every time I heard a player swear I reminded the ref that he had booked me for it and was he going to take action against it. Obviously his little black book would have filled up quickly.

So walking off after the game he sidled up to me and said he didn't think he would be reporting the booking.

7 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

I remember this being mentioned on the telly, kicking off both halves and all. I'm not sure which match it was though. Sounds about the right era, but not sure it was against Everton.

It definitely happened and was televised. Can't remember the date, but I am pretty sure it was Fear so that would have been early to mid 70's

I got booked for not running directly to the referee when subbed on! Still can’t believe it to this day. Syd was rekowned for such bizarre decisions though. 

Once played in a cricket match at about U13’s level where one of their bowlers walked down the middle of the track and stamped the rear of his heel into the strip on a length right on off stump! Unbelievable! He got told off. 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He he.

i got booked 4 times very early on in the season and was trying to escape a ban, when I dragged back their CF.  The ref was the same ref who’d booked me the week before and we’d had quite a debate in the bar after the game.  He called me over and said "you kinda convinced me last week’s yellow was harsh, so I’ll let you off this week".  Didnt get booked again that season, mainly because I missed half of it through injury!

You know Fevs, the more I read and recall why my team got booked in the dim and distant, I realise we were kind of a bunch of tits to play against.

Case in point - Sunday game, inordinately early kick off as City were on sky against Harrogate. Opposition bring on a sub - kid, about 18, massive perm. I’m talking Valderamma hair.

Each player who was stood behind him at any point did the “Saturday night fever” pointing gesture until they’d moved away. Then one of our number got booked for singing “You make me feel like dancing” exceptionally loudly while stood next to said player.

We played them again two weeks later. He’d shaved his head. Who knows why...

Once played against a very young left back, he's must've been about 14/15 in a mens game, who I gave a little shove when we were shoulder to shoulder chasing after a through ball, sent the little bugger flying about 12 yards. I laughed at him and got booked for being ungentlemanly or some bollocks.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Once played against a very young left back, he's must've been about 14/15 in a mens game, who I gave a little shove when we were shoulder to shoulder chasing after a through ball, sent the little bugger flying about 12 yards. I laughed at him and got booked for being ungentlemanly or some bollocks.

You got booked for "some bollocks"? :P

You should give David Wagner a call, could get a place on their bench next to Danny Williams....allegedly!  Always said he had a good tackle on him :whistle:.

18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It was against Sunderland in the first month of the1976-7 in First Division. City kicked off at start of both halves and won 4-1.

Ref was Jack Taylor who did the 1974 World Cup Final West Germany v Holland. It was not noticed until MOD that evening.

That's sparked the fragile memory I have. Had a vague feeling it was Sunderland, but was not prepared to state it. As it happens I was there and it was me birthday - what a pressie to enjoy with a 4-1 win, and then a cherry on the top of the cake to see we had the kick-off twice on MOTD. Wasn't it Tom Ritchie who grabbed the ball and took it before anyone noticed? I certainly didn't. Great times...:clapping:

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Feb half-term. Tuesday evening, I was in the Schoolboys enclosure. 50p! Keith Fear left by then, pretty sure ( @GrahamC ?) That wasn't on MOTD, don't think.

We can't have won many more top class games after that night.

And John Bailey played that night. 

Think you are right about Fear, as I think he left us after our second season up in the top flight.

Vaguely recall the two kick offs thing but no absolutely idea who it was against or when.

Sorry just read the rest of the thread, recall that Sunderland game, pretty sure Tom Ritchie got two..

Schoolboy enclosure was 40p when it first started, as I recall @Jack Dawe

59 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

******* hard man you are.

Archived