IGNORED

Guardian - The Knowledge

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

One of the regular items in the Guardian is “The Knowledge” section where quirks and statistical oddities of football are debated (sample question: Bristol Rovers still consider themselves Bristol City’s rivals despite not having been above them for 17 years. Is there a longer or more embarrassing gap of this nature?)

Anyhuse, an actual question relating to BCFC is in this weeks edition. Anyone clarify if this did happen as it’s before my time???

3B71EDAF-5F75-44FB-BC94-37F1897ED72D.jpeg

Does anyone have any stats on the fact that port vale have probably never been above stoke for longer than us above rovers?

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Once played against a very young left back, he's must've been about 14/15 in a mens game, who I gave a little shove when we were shoulder to shoulder chasing after a through ball, sent the little bugger flying about 12 yards. I laughed at him and got booked for being ungentlemanly or some bollocks.

That was me you b****rd. :)

10 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Once played against a very young left back, he's must've been about 14/15 in a mens game, who I gave a little shove when we were shoulder to shoulder chasing after a through ball, sent the little bugger flying about 12 yards. I laughed at him and got booked for being ungentlemanly or some bollocks.

Another story for the "it all kicked off in Bristol thread"? :)

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Port Vale?

It would be very close. 

Stoke and Port Vale were last in the same division the same season that ourselves and Rovers were also in the same division (2000/01 L1...or L2 as it was then).

However the season before Port Vale were actually a division above Stoke. Rovers haven’t managed that for 36 years.

45 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Rovers haven’t managed that for 36 years.

And that was only through our failure and not their brilliance.

I wonder when was the last time, if ever, they have been promoted above us? (I.E. we were in the same division and they went up and we didn't). 

12 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Back in the early 70s I was booked for swearing at one of my own team mates. Yes I know,  but back in those days swearing was frowned upon. Throughout the rest of the game every time I heard a player swear I reminded the ref that he had booked me for it and was he going to take action against it. Obviously his little black book would have filled up quickly.

So walking off after the game he sidled up to me and said he didn't think he would be reporting the booking.

That's happened to me as well...twice...in midfield trying to pass to our useless forward, who seemed to playing his own game of hiding behind the defender, making no run or space...nothing...just stood still every time...lost my rag with him many a time :laugh:

15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

One of the regular items in the Guardian is “The Knowledge” section where quirks and statistical oddities of football are debated (sample question: Bristol Rovers still consider themselves Bristol City’s rivals despite not having been above them for 17 years. Is there a longer or more embarrassing gap of this nature?)

Anyhuse, an actual question relating to BCFC is in this weeks edition. Anyone clarify if this did happen as it’s before my time???

3B71EDAF-5F75-44FB-BC94-37F1897ED72D.jpeg

Think it was Sunderland

Archived