IGNORED

New City chant everyone can join in with

ScottMurray'srightboot

Don’t see why copying other fans’ chants is great....this has been done to death, but fans like Man Utd manage to compose original chants.

If we tried that PSG chant at The Gate it would be quieter than that You Tube vid....Juve fans generated a brill atmosphere vs Spurs last night...deafening...we can’t live with the atmospheres created by fans of clubs in Italy, Germany, Turkey etc...it just ain’t in our make up...Ashton Gate is not intimidating at all, the atmosphere is very flat most of the time, and that’s when we are doing well! 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Don’t see why copying other fans’ chants is great....this has been done to death, but fans like Man Utd manage to compose original chants.

If we tried that PSG chant at The Gate it would be quieter than that You Tube vid....Juve fans generated a brill atmosphere vs Spurs last night...deafening...we can’t live with the atmospheres created by fans of clubs in Italy, Germany, Turkey etc...it just ain’t in our make up...Ashton Gate is not intimidating at all, the atmosphere is very flat most of the time, and that’s when we are doing well! 

Think the style of chants are different and all mind. Stuff like Only a Poor Little Gashead doesn't get sung in Turkey, in the same way we're not gonna link arms, jump up and down and shout "la la la" to the tune of god save the queen.

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It doesn’t get sung much at The Gate any more....and it ain’t deafening when it does....modern atmospheres in this country are quite rubbish, it’s very sad....

Totally agree, nothing we can do about it either really.

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Copying chants off others is the norm. Pretty much every club in the football league sing this particular song, but I can never make it out? Anybody know?

Every game on Sky, I hear the home crowd singing it. Never heard it down Ashton Gate, as expected though! We don’t follow others which I admire.

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Copying chants off others is the norm. Pretty much every club in the football league sing this particular song, but I can never make it out? Anybody know?

Every game on Sky, I hear the home crowd singing it. Never heard it down Ashton Gate, as expected though! We don’t follow others which I admire.

We don’t follow others? 

“We love you City we do, oh City we love you..”

”We’re by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen and it’s....”

”Ole, ole, ole, ole...Bristol City...”

”Come on you Reds...”

”Come on City, come on City, come on City, come on...”

”Eng-er-lund, Eng-er-lund, Eng-er-lund....”

”They’re here, they’re there, they’re every f@cking where, empty seats, empty seats...”

”Cheer up...(insert hated rival manager/player name)...oh what can it mean, to a sad..(insert rival’s nickname) b@stard and a...”

”Who’s that team they call the (insert rival’s name) ? Who’s that team that never scores? And they play....”

And the tunes to which we pay homage to individual players...eg Bobby Reid, Basso, Nicky Maynard, Sam Baldock, Jamie Paterson,....etc.

etc, etc, etc, etc......are these all unique to us?!

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We don’t follow others? 

”Come on you Reds...”

”They’re here, they’re there, they’re every f@cking where, empty seats, empty seats...”

”Cheer up...(insert hated rival manager/player name)...oh what can it mean, to a sad..(insert rival’s nickname) b@stard and a...”

”Who’s that team they call the (insert rival’s name) ? Who’s that team that never scores? And they play....”

And the tunes to which we pay homage to individual players...eg Bobby Reid, Basso, Nicky Maynard, Sam Baldock, Jamie Paterson,....etc.

Yeah. We’re massif

All the best chants are spontaneous chants and usually very amusing as well

Many seasons ago on a wet Tuesday evening City were played Carlisle and there in old Williams stand were about a dozen away fans cheering like mad.

The  spontaneous chant of  "you must have come in taxi, come in a taaxi.....went up. - brilliantly funny, so much so I still remember it decades later.

Oh! I can't recall ever hearing a chant/song mentioned on here at AG.........:disapointed2se:

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Many seasons ago on a wet Tuesday evening City were played Carlisle and there in old Williams stand were about a dozen away fans cheering like mad.

The  spontaneous chant of  "you must have come in taxi, come in a taaxi.....went up. - brilliantly funny, so much so I still remember it decades later.

Oh! I can't recall ever hearing a chant/song mentioned on here at AG.........:disapointed2se:

Although funny, that chant wasn’t spontaneous or unique, other clubs have been singing that for many many decades....

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Although funny, that chant wasn’t spontaneous or unique, other clubs have been singing that for many many decades....

Maybe....but I first heard it at AG.......and it was spontaneous given the situation with so few Carlisle fans - understandably so!

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Think the style of chants are different and all mind. Stuff like Only a Poor Little Gashead doesn't get sung in Turkey, in the same way we're not gonna link arms, jump up and down and shout "la la la" to the tune of god save the queen.

Cue a thread starting on Gaschat: "Turkish supporters all love the gas - official"

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This just isn't true. Manchester united get praise (quite rightly) for having unique song and chants. Yet they have a guy (peter boyle) who writes most of them and then teaches them to people in the pub! If they take off they then transfer to the terrace.

46 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

This just isn't true. Manchester united get praise (quite rightly) for having unique song and chants. Yet they have a guy (peter boyle) who writes most of them and then teaches them to people in the pub! If they take off they then transfer to the terrace.

But does the same happen via otib?

Judging from zero otib chants/songs we hear at AG, I'd definitely day not.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

This is one of those chants that stirs up the pedant in me.

If they did indeed come in a taxi from Carlisle, they'd be pretty wealthy!

During the miner's strike, if we ever played a team north of Birmingham, the East End would chant "We've got more money than you (team name) followed by the waving of a note.

Harry Enfield's character Loadsamoney enhanced this a few years later.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

But does the same happen via otib?

Judging from zero otib chants/songs we hear at AG, I'd definitely day not.

Whilst i agree that songs on otib rarely if ever get an outting (Although freemans on fire was definately mentioned on otib months before first being sung at the gate.... Isn't that right @Hartcliffe red) i would suggest that is more to do with the audience on here. I have seen songs on twitter that have been sung- hordors song to mrs robinson. (Whilst being a man city rip off) was first mentioned on there for example.

Times are changing and younger supporters do share songs via the internet. We are just a bunch of miserable old gits on here. Anyways my point was that songs are rarely if ever spontaneous creations on the terrace -even the one you mention about the taxi is a generic football chant.

11 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

You're right. I much prefer pretty vacant or anarchy in the UK.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We don’t follow others? 

”Come on you Reds...”

Ole ole ole ole Bristol City is unique to us due to the notation we use. I also have never heard any other team sing this song in any form as frequently as we do.

I’m not sure why people keep comparing atmospheres in Europe and here, there are so many external factors that influence it and the idea is always the same.. ‘modern atmospheres in England aren’t as loud as in Europe’. It’s quite boring because you don’t really find people who disagree - just seems to be a way for people to imply the ‘old days were better’

I know everyone gets upset when we steal chants, but let's face it most of them have made the rounds. 

In my head I'm having the time of my life at the gate with everyone singing that, I say.   B C F C .....woahhhhhhh :chant6ez:

Any excuse for a sing song, I'm still missing Freeman's on fire :sad26: (not him though, always thought he was pants in the championship)

Is it just me that thinks actually it's not a bad chant? Good with drums too.

These type of chants may tend to kick off quicker as it's easier for people to follow with "la la la la blah blah blah", than words which people can't actually make out (some funny examples on another thread recently anoutbpeople signing wrong words :facepalm:).

Overseas lots of teams copy English teams. Especially clothing. Nothing is truly "unique" anymore. 

I've never got my head around grown men jumping up and down chanting nothing more than Nursery rhymes...especially away from the ground.

Weird how some people are drawn to the 'pack or tribe' mentality and others aren't.

Each to their own of course...but it always looks and sounds mindless to me.

Suppose it's a good thing, as there wouldn't be any 'atmosphere' if everyone thought like me :laugh:

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We don’t follow others? 

”Come on you Reds...”

Most of those are just generic British chants, not a case of ‘copying’ other teams, they’ve just been sung for so long in so many places that they’ve become part of the background music to football. I don’t trying any club would try and lay claim to being the team that started any of those (obviously someone did once, but probably many decades ago). 

I don’t think we’ve been too bad over the years, we’ve had a few unique chants. But the wider problem as you say is just the generally appalling atmosphere we and other similar clubs create. So sterile and dull and that’s when we’re having the best season in a decade. A bit sad really. 

OTIB logic..

"We don't sing the atmosphere is shit"

Someone suggests a song which IMO is good and something everyone could get involved with around the ground.

"No that's crap not original" yet come up with no suggestions just continue to moan at someone trying bring something new to the table.

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don’t think we’ve been too bad over the years, we’ve had a few unique chants. But the wider problem as you say is just the generally appalling atmosphere we and other similar clubs create. So sterile and dull and that’s when we’re having the best season in a decade. A bit sad really. 

I think the causes of the poor atmospheres are quite deep rooted in society. Former Soviet countries for example have had lots of strife in their recent histories and are used to collectivist action and doing things as a group. It's come into football there too with all the choreography. I read a really good blog about this which i'll try and find... 

There is also the issue about the money in the English game. Most English clubs, ours included, want the middle class family demographic coming to games. They're more likely to buy official merchandise, perhaps more likely to buy refreshments.. if you've got groups of lads aged 18-35 they're going to go to the local pubs and wouldn't be seen dead in replica kit! There's also far less risk of trouble and incident with the family demographic.. 

The other thing is we see snapshots of supporters at their very best. You'll see a video of Turkish ultras lighting up their stadium with flares in a big game or Liverpool fans singing YNWA in a European tie.. but you don't see the Kop in silence as Liverpool lose 0-1 to West Brom in a terrible game in the middle of December.. it's very easy to be your own harshest critic. There were loads of videos of our home support vs United and our away support vs Man City on Twitter.. made us look good, but you don't then see our fans sat in silence despite being 3-0 up against Sunderland.

Ashton Gate isn't that bad. Definitely better than average. It could be better, and the frustrating thing is we know we've got it in us to be better. Ashton Gate is capable of some terrific atmospheres that any club in the country would be impressed by. Our away support is definitely better than average too, I'd also say we have a few more unique songs than we give ourselves credit for.. which other clubs sing the Wurzels for example? (Nobody say Yeovil, they don't really and besides they're basically a non-league side so don't count).

What could be done to improve it? Well, probably some sort of political revolution might change things! As a society we haven't had much upheaval and people are quite individualistic. We don't all feel obliged to 'bounce around' if ordered to by S82 whereas fans in Ukraine or Bosnia would feel they're duty bound to join in. Collectivism in action. Perhaps a more realistic solution would be to target 18-35 year olds, redesign AG so that home fans are behind both goals but the away support is nearby to prompt interaction (I'm surprised that not many people are making this point, the atmosphere has suffered due to that lack of interaction).

Archived