IGNORED

Another American school shooting!!

Tipps69

A 19 year-old who was reportedly expelled has returned to kill 17, kids & adults included.

Usual questions will be asked but as usual they won’t get the appropriate answers other than it’s their American civil rights to carry arms! For a country supposedly so advanced, I find it amazing that they still live so far in the past but if they are happy to see their younger generations destroyed forever, then so be it!

What do you do now as a parent in America? Send your child to school with a weapon to use as ‘self protection’ & then when the slightest disagreement happens you have a stand-off with weapons & you get more kids killed? Send your kid to school in a bulletproof vest? Or just no longer send your kid to school because you can’t trust the authorities with your most prized possession?

As far as I’m concerned, for as long as they allow anyone & everyone to carry weapons, no one is safe!

R.I.P to all those involved & my thoughts go out to everyone involved & affected.

5 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

That LBC guy irritates the **** out of me but it's correct. The rest of the world can see it, why can't they?

I suspect a lot of them can see it, but the NRA makes hefty contributions to the select few that can change, or not change, the laws.

Take Marco Rubio as an example, Senator for Florida: he has taken $3m+ from the NRA and, surprise surprise, offers only thoughts and prayers as opposed to any real action in response to yesterday's shooting in one of his state's schools.

I do think the level of gun ownership is way too high for any weapons ban similar to post-Dunblane or post-Port Arthur to be viable, but SOME action is surely needed. Doing nothing is ludicrous, but not unexpected, given the lobbying funds sloshing around the legislature.

15 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I suspect a lot of them can see it, but the NRA makes hefty contributions to the select few that can change, or not change, the laws.

Take Marco Rubio as an example, Senator for Florida: he has taken $3m+ from the NRA and, surprise surprise, offers only thoughts and prayers as opposed to any real action in response to yesterday's shooting in one of his state's schools.

I do think the level of gun ownership is way too high for any weapons ban similar to post-Dunblane or post-Port Arthur to be viable, but SOME action is surely needed. Doing nothing is ludicrous, but not unexpected, given the lobbying funds sloshing around the legislature.

Right to defend is one thing but what sort of civilian needs an AR-15. A step in the right direction would be to ban semi/automatic guns.

I dislike Piers Morgan hugely but it’s admirable that he stands out on the matter. 

People need to get with the program that bringing in tough gun laws in US will do NOTHING. Most firearms used during such devastations are illegal anyhow, or somehow illegally modified. Thousands & thousands of illegal firearms pass through the US borders weekly. Meaning you cannot compare a small countries gun laws like ours, to that of a country the size of the US.

I'd like to see veterans employed to safe guard US schools. They're many homeless veterans who would love the opportunity of having a job, and a job which fits their skillset.  

56 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

People need to get with the program that bringing in tough gun laws in US will do NOTHING. Most firearms used during such devastations are illegal anyhow, or somehow illegally modified. Thousands & thousands of illegal firearms pass through the US borders weekly. Meaning you cannot compare a small countries gun laws like ours, to that of a country the size of the US.

I'd like to see veterans employed to safe guard US schools. They're many homeless veterans who would love the opportunity of having a job, and a job which fits their skillset.  

Not buying this statement.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/guns-mass-shootings-obtained-legally-including-congressional-baseball/story?id=48055331

https://everytownresearch.org/reports/mass-shootings-analysis/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html

4 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

Yes, because putting potentially psychologically damaged war veterans into schools with automatic weapons would definitely make things a whole lot safer :yes:

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, because putting potentially psychologically damaged war veterans into schools with automatic weapons would definitely make things a whole lot safer :yes:

So you’re describing all those who’s served in the forces as “potentially psychological”? That’s quite a low remark to make.

Watched a story on it tonight and am happy to admit I shed a tear.  Its time the US Government removed their fingers, heads etc from their collective backsides to rectify this problem. There is no case to support gun ownership !!!  Right to bear arms is one thing but right to life is another.

With regards to guns in America - nothing will ever change. They can't see what is in front of their eyes. How many school shootings do we get here?

Also don't buy the argument about the automatic guns being illegal anyway either - it's the same here, but again, we don't get anything on the scale that they do over there.

Guns don't kill people, pyschos and mentally unhinged people do.

37 minutes ago, Taz said:

With regards to guns in America - nothing will ever change. They can't see what is in front of their eyes. How many school shootings do we get here?

Also don't buy the argument about the automatic guns being illegal anyway either - it's the same here, but again, we don't get anything on the scale that they do over there.

Guns don't kill people, pyschos and mentally unhinged people do.

Doesn't Canada have a higher proportion of gun ownership, with a fraction of the gun crime? (Not that I am in any way advocating mass gun ownership)

The problem seems to be the Yanks.

20 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

I'm sure you're a nice bloke mate but I don't think I've ever disagreed more with a post on otib. Why on earth would rules that work for every other western country not work for the US?

1 hour ago, Juan Kerr said:

Doesn't Canada have a higher proportion of gun ownership, with a fraction of the gun crime? (Not that I am in any way advocating mass gun ownership)

The problem seems to be the Yanks.

The Swiss have large levels of gun ownership, as do the Fins. Both countries have low murder and violent crime rates. The difference in my opinion the threefold.

1) Both countries have national service. All young Fins and Swiss citizens have been trained by the army how to use, maintain and be responsible with firearms. In addition to this legislation, you cannot just walk into a shop or gun show and get one.

2) I think you're only allowed to carry hand guns, keeping larger guns at home, to only be used in a time of war. But again, the military will have provided the arm, as well as training on proper storage and usage.

3) The big problem with the USA is it's size. Police response times if you live in the sticks are slow. Those Americans who do live in the sticks I wouldn't begrudge owning a gun. In addition it makes policing imports of the illegal kind much harder. 

I'm of the opinion that guns don't kill people, but the society and culture in which the guns live can cause great damage with them. Weirdly, as far as I'm aware, the paranoid militia types in the USA who have an arsenal, as well as a bunker, rarely commit gun crimes as they are typically more clued up on gun usage than the average Joe.

In conclusion, something simple like before you can own a gun, you must have completed a basic firearm training course that is valid for maybe three years, then it must be re-newed. 

42 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I'm sure you're a nice bloke mate but I don't think I've ever disagreed more with a post on otib. Why on earth would rules that work for every other western country not work for the US?

What other counties? 

Look at the size of US! And all the crime and corruption in the country. Most important fact also it’s part of their amendment to have the right to bear arms.

As I said, they either employ 4-5 US veterans to safeguard schools, or allow teachers to carry weapons at all time’s. There is too many loopy lefties on here who do not understand. You can ban guns all you want, people will still use them and get their hands on them. Same as drugs.

50 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

What other counties? 

Look at the size of US! And all the crime and corruption in the country. Most important fact also it’s part of their amendment to have the right to bear arms.

As I said, they either employ 4-5 US veterans to safeguard schools, or allow teachers to carry weapons at all time’s. There is too many loopy lefties on here who do not understand. You can ban guns all you want, people will still use them and get their hands on them. Same as drugs.

Every country in Europe, Canada, Australia.... combined population about 2.5x that of America.

The amendment argument is a complete and utter nonsense. It was designed to overthrow a tyranical government... a lot of use guns will be today when they have tanks, nuclear bombs and drones. It boggles my mind that a country would be so blindly loyal to what is a law - not only a law but an amendment i.e. it can be changed.

And yes. I'm definitely a loopy lefty for not wanting teachers to carry guns in a childrens classroom! :grr::facepalm: I despair.

It must be pure coincidence that the only western place which has high gun crime and a high number of massacres (particularly in schools) is the only place without gun control!

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Every country in Europe, Canada, Australia.... combined population about 2.5x that of America.

The amendment argument is a complete and utter nonsense. It was designed to overthrow a tyranical government... a lot of use guns will be today when they have tanks, nuclear bombs and drones. It boggles my mind that a country would be so blindly loyal to what is a law - not only a law but an amendment i.e. it can be changed.

And yes. I'm definitely a loopy lefty for not wanting teachers to carry guns in a childrens classroom! :grr::facepalm: I despair.

It must be pure coincidence that the only western place which has high gun crime and a high number of massacres (particularly in schools) is the only place without gun control!

Chicago has the toughest gun laws, yet the highest homicide rate. Laws will change nothing. :facepalm:

41 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

Chicago has the toughest gun laws, yet the highest homicide rate. Laws will change nothing. :facepalm:

Chicago is a City. Without borders. Would say an unfair comparrison.

Do you suggest we abolish laws on all drugs because people still take and die from them? Do you think more or less people will die as a result?

What if gun control is brought in to the US and gun deaths reduce by say a meagre 5% in the 1st 5 years - isn't that better? A start?

3 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

What other counties? 

Some crazy NRA spokeswoman was on tv this morning advocating the carrying of weapons for school teachers. You're all mad !

21 minutes ago, Paul Turnip said:

Chicago is a City. Without borders. Would say an unfair comparrison.

Do you suggest we abolish laws on all drugs because people still take and die from them? Do you think more or less people will die as a result?

What if gun control is brought in to the US and gun deaths reduce by say a meagre 5% in the 1st 5 years - isn't that better? A start?

And what if it increased gun deaths by a further 5%? 

Gun control will do absolutely nothing. It amazes me how people from this country can compare the UK laws to the that of the  USA.

As much as I would love to see a total ban on Firearms in the USA, and the homicide rates to drop big time, it’s not reality or never will be. 

I’m man enough to say I also shed a tear this morning reading into the background the victims, and how some of them were killed by that monster . Something does need to be done, but gun control is not the solution.

Archived