IGNORED

Interesting talk at Senior Reds today

Robbored

Sam's a good guy, been lucky enough to meet him before. As analysis goes after the ChyronHego stuff in game sportscode (being the industry standard for analysis) will be used to actually code matches and post match analysis. The clips from the game City want to focus on and highlight will then be used in ChyronHego's coach paint tool which allows them to animate it like you see on Sky Sports with all the things they do on that. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

This may sound odd but game speed is different to sprinting speed. Somebody sprinting in a straight line reaches actualization (full speed) at about sixty metres. Most players never reach that point. A player will have different speeds depending on what direction he is going. Players playing in different positions have differing movements and can move (slower / faster) accordingly due to factors beyond being naturally quicker.

Very true. 

I remember watching Sam Baldock and thought how good he was at coming towards the ball with a defender up his arse, getting that good first touch to move the ball sideways, second touch to move the ball forward and how quickly he got into a sprint to get away from his marker.

I’ve no idea how quick he was overall, in say a 60m sprint.

The likes of Flint May take 2-3 strides to get going, but then imagine how much distance those strides cover once he does.

Some players remain quick with the ball at their feet, some are rapid without it, but never anywhere near the same with it.

The likes of Gazza wasn’t quick, but he had a turn of pace / the ability to get to top speed very quickly.

The science side is fascinating but good to hear that there’s not a one size fits all, different types for different parts of the game.

53 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

We need some hackers to hack into other teams analysis and give us the upper hand.........

One thing they both do is analysis the upcoming opposition very thoroughly. Not hacking of course but how they actually obtain the info they need is unclear. No-one actually asked them.

To me I find it remarkable just how much fine detail goes into match preparation. It's a huge exercise which the entire club is involved in. It's not just LJ and his coaches but staff like the two guys today. The detail available to the coaches is vast. 

Marginal gains......

They were asked how to improve FFs kicking and they said that he's instructed to kick the ball wide rather than up the middle and that's why the ball occasionally goes out.

They also said that many footballers are bright guys and mentioned Pack in particular.

The guys today were really interesting and I'd love to listen to a proper lecture from them followed by a Q&A session.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Two young guys in the analysis and fitness area of the club. Ryhs Carr and Sam Stanton spoke today and listening to them both utterly convinced me just how professional and polished the club has become.

The described their roles individually one analylising data and the other being a part of the fitness and recruiting team.

They were asked who was quickest player and CoD and Joe Bryan are the fastest with Flint not far behind them. They explained that all players have an app on their phones which they record many several things, how they slept, how their feeling generally and within seconds the info is on the phone of Rhys and that info is tailored to the individual training  programme.

Prozone is old hat and they use a new system (the name escapes me ) that uses more cameras and is far more accurate that Prozone was. They get instant data on their laptops during games but are unable to transfer said date to the coaches on the touchline as it's forbidden. Apparently the fourth officials are particularly vigilant!

Depending on the opposition Pack is usually the one who covers the most ground between 12-15k most games.

Kinetic tape - only has psychological benefits. Some players like it despite there being no scientific evidence that it does anything  physically.

The pair of the were completely fascinating and both have such great jobs.

We had a new bloke on our table today and he said how stimulating the whole experience was.

Thanks for sharing and I agree we seem to be more professional than ever.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

One thing they both do is analysis the upcoming opposition very thoroughly. Not hacking of course but how they actually obtain the info they need is unclear. No-one actually asked them.

To me I find it remarkable just how much fine detail goes into match preparation. It's a huge exercise which the entire club is involved in. It's not just LJ and his coaches but staff like the two guys today. The detail available to the coaches is vast. 

Marginal gains......

The guys today were really interesting and I'd love to listen to a proper lecture from them followed by a Q&A session.

All that analysis didn’t do much good last Saturday...........

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Very true. 

I remember watching Sam Baldock and thought how good he was at coming towards the ball with a defender up his arse, getting that good first touch to move the ball sideways, second touch to move the ball forward and how quickly he got into a sprint to get away from his marker.

The likes of Flint May take 2-3 strides to get going, but then imagine how much distance those strides cover once he does.

Some players remain quick with the ball at their feet, some are rapid without it, but never anywhere near the same with it.

The likes of Gazza wasn’t quick, but he had a turn of pace / the ability to get to top speed very quickly.

The science side is fascinating but good to hear that there’s not a one size fits all, different types for different parts of the game.

JET had that too. If he decided to go for it he couldn`t half shift.

Joe Bryan is the quickest player. Plays even more to my theory that he’s lazy, as he should be able to recover his position quicker than anyone else but never does. 

Presumably these analysts show LJ this evidence regularly. Presumably LJ shares this with Joe. Presumably Joe isn’t putting his learning/feedback into practice. 

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Marginal gains......

They were asked how to improve FFs kicking and they said that he's instructed to kick the ball wide rather than up the middle and that's why the ball occasionally goes out.

They also said that many footballers are bright guys and mentioned Pack in particular.

Probably a standard routine for every opponent, how they score their goals, how they concede their goals (and where chances for and against come from) and any patterns in their play to exploit. First two are easy as you will know when goals are scored and footage is readily available, coaches can watch the footage for any strength's weaknesses. As for the patterns it will be a bit more in depth, clubs often have an opposition analyst just for this, its where something like prozone (having been bought out by STATS) may be used, the way it displays the data is still top notch, or the analyst may just pick something up from watching the footage but they will look for trends, ie passing completion rate in the squad and if one player has a lower than average rate, could be a case of then looking to get them the ball and pressure them as they know their clearances won't be as good.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Joe Bryan is the quickest player. Plays even more to my theory that he’s lazy, as he should be able to recover his position quicker than anyone else but never does. 

Presumably these analysts show LJ this evidence regularly. Presumably LJ shares this with Joe. Presumably Joe isn’t putting his learning/feedback into practice. 

The other factor for Joe will be stamina, he may have the pace but he's one of the guys who is usually up and down the pitch the most, all that getting forward and tracking back will take its toll. Must do well at yo-yo tests as we don't often see him subbed off for being tired. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Very true. 

Don't now what the stats say but I'd say Lee Tomlin was our fastest player last year, when running with the ball.

Quite possible that I've just got that wrong though. :whistle:

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Very true. 

What you are highlighting regarding Baldock is receiving techniques, transition, initiation, acceleration patterns. 

So players can be quick at game related tasks then due to cognitive/motor control/perceptual;/physical constraints be considered slow (very) at other aspects of the game. 

40 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

What you are highlighting regarding Baldock is receiving techniques, transition, initiation, acceleration patterns. 

So players can be quick at game related tasks then due to cognitive/motor control/perceptual;/physical constraints be considered slow (very) at other aspects of the game. 

I was happy with my description :P :P :P.

Seriously though, it is amazing that these things are broken down, measured etc.  Marginal gains an’ all that!

4 hours ago, Chivs said:

Don't now what the stats say but I'd say Lee Tomlin was our fastest player last year, when running with the ball.

Quite possible that I've just got that wrong though. :whistle:

No, I think you're correct, Tomlin was our fattest player last year with or without the ball.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Purely psychological!  

There is no evidence based proof that it does anything at all.

A bit like those nasal clamps that were used 20odd years ago. No scientific evidence for those either yet plenty of players used them.

Should I take mine off now then :facepalm:

Archived