IGNORED

Interesting talk at Senior Reds today

Robbored

3 minutes ago, Unan said:

No point of trying to debate with 1bc, he's incredibly old-fashioned and even more so stuck in his ways.

You might consider that experience counts for an awful lot, youth rarely has any insight into much really, I mean how could they if they dismiss experience as being old fashioned or stuck in his ways. I have fully embraced technology, I worked in it for a few years, but the intention should not be to turn footballers into Robots.

Hate Unan btw and meh meaningless and so ******* boring.

2 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

You might consider that experience counts for an awful lot, youth rarely has any insight into much really, I mean how could they if they dismiss experience as being old fashioned or stuck in his ways. I have fully embraced technology, I worked in it for a few years, but the intention should not be to turn footballers into Robots.

That's not very nice, she's knitted you a cardigan and everything

2 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

There's a difference between experience and being stuck in your ways.

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

Explain why you think  'I am stuck in my ways'? 

Because a multi-billion pound business will obviously use all resources they can to ensure the best possible results yet according to you their intention is to turn them into robots.

20 hours ago, Harry said:

Joe Bryan is the quickest player. Plays even more to my theory that he’s lazy, as he should be able to recover his position quicker than anyone else but never does. 

Presumably these analysts show LJ this evidence regularly. Presumably LJ shares this with Joe. Presumably Joe isn’t putting his learning/feedback into practice. 

He certainly seems to be when going forward.

I assume you watch matches live, whereas, unfortunately, I am restricted due to logistical reasons to watching the majority of matches on TV, streams etc., but I often get the impression that JB is simply jogging back - the Leo Clarke/Sheffield United goal in particular irked me. I appreciate that he is forever running up and down the pitch, hence is undoubtedly tired, but I just do not see the same intensity in his (defensive) game as, e.g. Nathan Baker or Aden Flint - extreme comparative examples, I know.  

I believe it was @Cowshed who mentioned earlier in this thread about receiving techniques and initiation, but I believe that both experience and intuition are equally important, if not more so.

A player may well be 'physically slow', but if he is blessed with the above-mentioned attributes he will gain yards: witness the late Gerry Gow (I observed this many years ago when he was playing in City's youth team).

I know it is not the same sport, but if you have ever watched clips of the Australian cricketer Neil Harvey or the South African, Jonty Rhodes, you will notice that they appear to be moving to intercept the ball before it is even hit - English players such as Derek Randall and, of course, David Gower were similar beneficiaries of great anticipitation. 

20 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

He certainly seems to be when going forward.

I assume you watch matches live, whereas, unfortunately, I am restricted due to logistical reasons to watching the majority of matches on TV, streams etc., but I often get the impression that JB is simply jogging back - the Leo Clarke/Sheffield United goal in particular irked me. I appreciate that he is forever running up and down the pitch, hence is undoubtedly tired, but I just do not see the same intensity in his (defensive) game as, e.g. Nathan Baker or Aden Flint - extreme comparative examples, I know.  

My sentiments exactly. The analysts are telling us he’s the quickest at the club. Why then is he the slowest when going toward his own goal. You view correctly Phil - he jogs back with no urgency. I’ve been saying it forever. 

Not just the example you gave with Clarke/Sheff U. Look at Bolton/Ameobi. Joe jogs back. Bobby Reid closes the gap more on Ameobi having started further away. Seems Bobby was showing urgency to get back whereas Joe just jogs. There are countless other examples. 

This is my biggest criticism of Joe. If he solves this then I’ll freely admit to this ‘best LB in the league’ talk, but until he cures this flaw, he’ll always be an average LB to me. 

I just hope this is pointed out to him by the analysts. If not, they’re not doing their job. If they have, then Joe is not improving on it. 

4 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Money is spoiling the game, it is the case that only clubs that have huge spending power will ever win anything, the exception was Leicester, which all that did was to spur the big clubs on to spend more to ensure it can't happen again, and it won't unless there are changes. So if you are content in the League titles being shares by any one of four clubs then fine, but it makes a mockery of the league. Of course you can multiply that by a factor of ten when it comes to Champions League.

Football has sold out to corrupt individuals by and large, dirty money, and is a good deal poorer for it.

Four clubs? As many as that? Next season'll be brilliant, then.....

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

Why would a use of technology make players robotic? 

One of the criticisms of traditional training methods is that they create players that are robotic. 

The use of technology can increase a players time with the ball more efficiently, more time with the ball creates more skillful and creative players. Its a simplistic argument, but a player spending ten hours a week on focused deliberate training with the appropriate support, will in time be more talented than a player who spends the equivalent time going down the route of just static, variable and random practice. More talent less robot.

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Why would a use of technology make players robotic? 

One of the criticisms of traditional training methods is that they create players that are robotic. 

The use of technology can increase a players time with the ball more efficiently, more time with the ball creates more skillful and creative players. Its a simplistic argument, but a player spending ten hours a week on focused deliberate training with the appropriate support, will in time be more talented than a player who spends the equivalent time going down the route of just static, variable and random practice. More talent less robot.

And you believe that? That it makes better players, of course it would help with conditioning, but betters players, I don't think so.

19 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't find this that interesting, in fact it's a bit of a turn off.

Football at it's most enjoyable, both to play and watch, is a simple game.

When every player in every team is super fit, when all clubs have got the same access to data analysis, drones etc. surely the majority of teams will just cancel each other out?

Might be great for the 'technicians' behind the scenes but sounds like an increasingly tedious experience for the fans to me.

What is it, 5 0-0 draws already this season? Don't remember that many before.

I have only just bothered reading this thread and was ready to put on more or less what you have stated.

It would be interesting to know how many championship clubs are using this system as I feel its more a case of having to keep up with rest rather than being one step ahead.

10 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

And you believe that? That it makes better players, of course it would help with conditioning, but betters players, I don't think so.

And you believe that? I know it. It is a fact. The use of technology leads to faster learning, you are using a technological tool, not sticks and mud to type. 

You have not explained how technology can be used to make players more robotic rather than more talented. 

Technology is not used solely for conditioning. It improves reaction time and can focus on for instance  improving ball skill leading to more talented players. The use of technology can increase a players time with the ball more efficiently, more time with the ball creates more skillful and creative players .. Did you agree or disagree with that basic premise?

Did you agree with the point that poor coaching using ill defined static and variable practice can make players robotic?

Archived