IGNORED

Lewin Nyatanga

Lew-T

I don’t think he was very good in truth but what he certainly wasn’t was a shirker.

Interesting to read GJ say that he gave him no trouble at all and in his last season with us (under McInnes, then SOD) he was actually our best central defender in the last few months.

I know that is an incredibly low bar, as by then Carey was on his last legs, Fontaine had suffered a huge loss of confidence and the others that McInnes had brought in (McManus, Keinan, Wilson, Bates) were pretty shite, but he kept going and I was actually slightly disappointed he then turned our contact down, as he seemed fine for League One.

The statement that "all he lacked was pace and a physical presence" made me smile. 

I think the only successful defender I have ever seen that had neither of those was Bobby Moore, and I think you need at least one of those two in the modern game.

Talking of Moore's, I hope this career is not mirrored by our own Taylor.....

Amazingly this team kept a clean sheet at west ham in 2011! Was Skuse RB?

• 01 James
  • 04 Fontaine
  • 05 Nyatanga
  • 36 McGivern
  • 07 Elliott
  • 08 Kilkenny
  • 11 Woolford (Bolasie 67)
  • 14 Skuse
  • 21 Cisse (Wilson 81)
  • 27 Adomah
  • 10 Maynard (Clarkson 87)

1 hour ago, Super said:

• 01 James
  • 04 Fontaine
  • 05 Nyatanga
  • 36 McGivern
  • 07 Elliott
  • 08 Kilkenny
  • 14 Skuse
  • 21 Cisse (Wilson 81)
  • 27 Adomah

Was that the same game that West Ham gave Peter Styvar a one match trial as a striker?

8 minutes ago, Super said:

how many of that team would get into our team now? Just Albert?

I dunno Elliott, Cisse and Maynard were good players for us and Bolasie has gone on to better things. I reckon they would all get in the squad at least

An example of being over hyped at such a young age.

I didn't think he was a bad defender, but so much more was expected of him when he first came onto the scene for Derby.

Any old Football Manager gamers will remember that he was always one of the first signings you'd make because of the potential that was built into the game for him.

I was there for his League debut vs Preston away - we played some sublime football that day, he looked a real good center half in what was a very odd 3-4-1-2 formation with Clarkson behind Haynes & Maynard. Still managed to draw 2-2 though after a 99th minute penalty that only the ref saw. :grr::grr:

4 minutes ago, Big C said:

I dunno Elliott, Cisse and Maynard were good players for us and Bolasie has gone on to better things. I reckon they would all get in the squad at least

I think the Marv in his first season would certainly get in.

11 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Was that the same game that West Ham gave Peter Styvar a one match trial as a striker?

No team was

• 01 Green
  • 02 Reid (Faye 7)
  • 03 McCartney
  • 05 Tomkins
  • 17 O'Brien
  • 18 Faubert
  • 04 Nolan
  • 16 Noble
  • 07 Baldock (Cole 68)
  • 19 Sears (Diop 76)
  • 30 Piquionne

Substitutes

• 28 Kurucz,
  • 15 Faye,
  • 21 Diop,
  • 09 Cole,
  • 46 Hall

Like others have said, he was a limited footballer, but I think he could have been a little better here. Suffered from playing in a side low on confidence and playing alongside a series of defenders who as Graham mentioned were, frankly, atrocious. 

Worked hard and didn't seem to give up so he'll have respect from me despite his level of ability. 

1 hour ago, Super said:

• 01 James
  • 04 Fontaine
  • 05 Nyatanga
  • 36 McGivern
  • 07 Elliott
  • 08 Kilkenny
  • 14 Skuse
  • 21 Cisse (Wilson 81)
  • 27 Adomah

I'm having a senior moment here - who was Wilson?

Fair play to him. Seems a similar situation to David Bentley, just fell out of love with the game. I can understand it in many ways, the years of monotonous training and dieting plus often upping sticks to move your family to parts of the country you would probably rather not be living in.. would do my head in personally.. 

Archived