IGNORED

Lewin Nyatanga

Lew-T

8 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

McInnes  (what a terrible manager with the worst record for signings?) 

Unlike you to be critical of anyone.:whistle:

I'm by no means his greatest admirer, but a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss there. The club was a car crash when McInnes came in (although he probably didn't find that out until after he took the job) and he would have found himself being told he had to operate under all sorts of constraints that he hadn't bargained for, as did others during that managerial revolving door period. The real culprits were lurking in the board room at the time, not in the manager's office....

3 hours ago, Super said:

Amazingly this team kept a clean sheet at west ham in 2011! Was Skuse RB?

• 01 James
  • 04 Fontaine
  • 05 Nyatanga
  • 36 McGivern
  • 07 Elliott
  • 08 Kilkenny
  • 11 Woolford (Bolasie 67)
  • 14 Skuse
  • 21 Cisse (Wilson 81)
  • 27 Adomah
  • 10 Maynard (Clarkson 87)

Stupid question , City would never play a midfielder at right back . 

:me?:

54 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Unlike you to be critical of anyone.:whistle:

I'm by no means his greatest admirer, but a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss there. The club was a car crash when McInnes came in (although he probably didn't find that out until after he took the job) and he would have found himself being told he had to operate under all sorts of constraints that he hadn't bargained for, as did others during that managerial revolving door period. The real culprits were lurking in the board room at the time, not in the manager's office....

McInnes didn't help himself with the poor signings he made and the constant chopping and changing of the team .

I liked the bloke but his time here is a dark episode in our history.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Fair play to him. Seems a similar situation to David Bentley, just fell out of love with the game. I can understand it in many ways, the years of monotonous training and dieting plus often upping sticks to move your family to parts of the country you would probably rather not be living in.. would do my head in personally.. 

Yep , must be terrible to be a professional footballer.

53 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

McInnes didn't help himself with the poor signings he made and the constant chopping and changing of the team .

I liked the bloke but his time here is a dark episode in our history.

What I was partly getting at, Major, was that the poor signings were to some extent a result of him finding himself having to do the job with one hand tied behind his back (and perhaps unexpectedly so, as I'm not convinced he was fully aware of the financial constraints before he took up the post - something that was also strongly rumoured to have been the case with Coppell before him). The overseeing of the club for a period of several years around this time was such a shambles that, frankly, you could have appointed a management team of Ferguson, Mourinho and Guardiola and still struggled.

I will agree with you that he didn't help himself in certain respects and the lack of consistency in team selection was, as you say, an example of this but, overall, if you look at the way things were being run then and contrast it with the present set-up, there is no comparison. The job was the proverbial poisoned chalice at the time and McInnes wasn't the only one who couldn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (pardon the mixed metaphors). 

I remember being quite impressed with Nyatanga at first and, like GrahamC, I was a bit disappointed he didn't sign a new contract because I thought he could have done a job in League 1. He was shaky at times but I think he suffered from part of the sinking ship that the club was at the time (similar to other half decent players like Fontaine). 

I certainly remember Nyatanga more fondly than the likes of MacManus,  Foster, Bates, McGivern, Woolford and Wilson from that era, who still make me shudder. What a depressing time that was.

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

What I was partly getting at, Major, was that the poor signings were to some extent a result of him finding himself having to do the job with one hand tied behind his back (and perhaps unexpectedly so, as I'm not convinced he was fully aware of the financial constraints before he took up the post - something that was also strongly rumoured to have been the case with Coppell before him). The overseeing of the club for a period of several years around this time was such a shambles that, frankly, you could have appointed a management team of Ferguson, Mourinho and Guardiola and still struggled.

I will agree with you that he didn't help himself in certain respects and the lack of consistency in team selection was, as you say, an example of this but, overall, if you look at the way things were being run then and contrast it with the present set-up, there is no comparison. The job was the proverbial poisoned chalice at the time and McInnes wasn't the only one who couldn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (pardon the mixed metaphors). 

I accept that all was not rosy in the Ashton. Gate garden however , he could have , perhaps, used what little money he had to bring in better players than he did .

A good coach knows decent players. 

One of our most hamstrung managers of all time was Terry Cooper. He had two cigarette ends and a ball of string as a budget but still fashioned a team and a style of play that won matches.

I will be generous as I like McInnes and just say that perhaps it was too tough a job at that stage of his career.

16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

One of our most hamstrung managers of all time was Terry Cooper. He had two cigarette ends and a ball of string as a budget but still fashioned a team and a style of play that won matches.

I will be generous as I like McInnes and just say that perhaps it was too tough a job at that stage of his career.

No disagreement with any of that.  As City ex-managers go, Cooper stands head and shoulders above most. Can think of no-one who could come close when it came to finding hidden gems, signing them for peanuts and then getting them to perform like stars. It's not only McInnes who wouldn't bear comparison with Coops. Probably the most loved manager we've ever had, certainly by me, anyway. 

On your last point, I think you may be right as regards timing. DM's done OK since, albeit in a less unforgiving environment. We might have been saying the same about LJ had some people had their way and he'd been sacked last season. Fine line sometimes...

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Of course, thanks.  Him and Ribeiro really looked like the future at one point, but sadly neither hit the heights.  I see he's at Lincoln now...

Still think Ribs was a premier league quality player - or at least had the potential to be. Injuries sadly put an end to that very early

8 hours ago, Super said:

Amazingly this team kept a clean sheet at west ham in 2011! Was Skuse RB?

• 01 James
  • 04 Fontaine
  • 05 Nyatanga
  • 36 McGivern
  • 07 Elliott
  • 08 Kilkenny
  • 11 Woolford (Bolasie 67)
  • 14 Skuse
  • 21 Cisse (Wilson 81)
  • 27 Adomah
  • 10 Maynard (Clarkson 87)

Never understood the stick that Lewin got. I was at that game and he was excellent

7 hours ago, westred1 said:

Too late for Brian Wilson, surely? I think he left a year before.

I'd hazard a guess at James Wilson.

7 hours ago, Super said:

Didn't we have a Mark Wilson as well?

7 hours ago, westred1 said:

Yep and a Danny (CB). Both came to us a year later.

We've had more Wilsons than the Beach Boys!!!!

:yes:

On 16/02/2018 at 01:23, GrahamC said:

I don’t think he was very good in truth but what he certainly wasn’t was a shirker.

Interesting to read GJ say that he gave him no trouble at all and in his last season with us (under McInnes, then SOD) he was actually our best central defender in the last few months.

I know that is an incredibly low bar, as by then Carey was on his last legs, Fontaine had suffered a huge loss of confidence and the others that McInnes had brought in (McManus, Keinan, Wilson, Bates) were pretty shite, but he kept going and I was actually slightly disappointed he then turned our contact down, as he seemed fine for League One.

Right this is bugging me now. Who is Keinan?

I don’t remember this lad at all.

18 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Of course, thanks.  Him and Ribeiro really looked like the future at one point, but sadly neither hit the heights.  I see he's at Lincoln now...

Injuries as youngsters seem to be still happening, sad because like you said we thought they was for the future

47 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Injuries as youngsters seem to be still happening, sad because like you said we thought they was for the future

Ribs I agree it was injuries but I`m sure JW was considered to not have the desire to kick on and was happy in his lower league comfort zone. It was mentioned by the club when he left IIRC.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Dekel Keinan, Israeli international CB on loan from Cardiff but don`t think he ever played.

Like Danny Wilson (the player not the manager) McInnes brought him in on loan then gave him a single 90th minute appearance as a sub.

Baffling.

Archived