IGNORED

Strangest or funniest thing you’ve seen at Ashton Gate

Red Army 75

Funniest thing in recent times was my foster son, who when we went 1-0 up against Man U came running back in to where we stand (he’d gone to see his dad who’s a steward and missed our opener) excitedly screaming that he’d been given a free burger by the van outside who had started giving them away. 

Me, my brother, and my two godkids stood there in silence for a moment until I said “Er, but we’re bloody beating Man United!” And he replied with “yeah but I got a free burger” whilst we fell about laughing! 

Kids these days! Maybe one of those “you had to be there” moments but it was hilarious at the time - honest! 

A bloke next to me who I know well and is a Full on city die hard stand up and fully celebrate an Oxford goal amidst complete silence and it taking him a good few seconds to realise he was celebrating the wrong teams goal. 

Oxford. in their bright yellow kit. To this day it is a mystery how he managed it. On the very attack that led to the goal he had commented on how dangerous it looked. 

Guess that's just what the dolman can do to a man.

7 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

A bloke next to me who I know well and is a Full on city die hard stand up and fully celebrate an Oxford goal amidst complete silence and it taking him a good few seconds to realise he was celebrating the wrong teams goal. 

Oxford. in their bright yellow kit. To this day it is a mystery how he managed it. On the very attack that led to the goal he had commented on how dangerous it looked. 

Guess that's just what the dolman can do to a man.

That is brilliant! Properly made I laugh. 

Mate of mine once was in such a state of advanced refreshment that at HT he thought the game was over so went to leave. Got dragged back and told it wasn't. Then at full time he left, but went back in to get his coat. Only problem was he hadn't brought one in the first place. Scenes ensued, naturally. 

15 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Ian Baird giving the City fans the finger etc when he got subbed to loud cheers.

He deserved it though for being so shit.

To this day it remains my favourite cover of a "One Team" issue.

A drawing of Ian Baird doing a two fingered salute to the crowd with the caption "Yes Ian, we know which division we're in but whose fault is it?"

15 hours ago, Olé said:

Wow I'd forgotten that. We lost the game 3-2 as I recall, was it Peterborough? If he had connected that would have made all kinds of history that we don't need.

My personal pick I wasn't there for myself, but it was when people went to AG before 2pm to get a discount on a pie.

Was the discount just on one pie ? 

Could have turned nasty .

When LJ was still a player for us, attacking (can’t remember who against), ball bounces toward him, he tries to head it and it went completely over his head cause he’s so small. Think it was about Chest height to the ‘average’ sized man! Remember there being about 14k people all bursting out laughing at the same time 

The old First Division was fabulous for many reasons. Not least the Half Time "entertainment" served up at Ashton Gate.

The two that spring to mind were the Police Dog Display (against Coventry), and the showing of the latest exotic animals at the Zoo... Llamas (Norwich I think)

The Police Dog display was memorable for the confused Police Dog who chased the wrong burglar. One Cop had his arm suitably wrapped for the Dog to chase and bite into. The lyother didn't. They ran from the "incident" and to a thumping roar from the East, the Dog was let loose. The noise obviously put the dog off and to hysterical laughter (and a mild amount of concern) the Dog sank it's fangs into an unprotected arm.... and the din level reached a crescendo as Coventry were hell bent on joining the mirth.

The Llama incident was just too good. Cruel....but funny. The poor bloody Llamas were led toward the East and an appeal went out to keep quiet for the Llamas. Cue pandemonium. A roar came from under the low roof of the East and the Llamas pegged it toward the Open End. The second half had to be delayed as llama crap had to be cleared from the pitch

14 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Tom Ritchie squaring up to Micky Droy...

A Millwall player scoring Directly from an indirect free kick, then running the length of the Dolman in celebration only to find he was the last person in AG to realise it was disallowed...

:clapping:

I was sure it was Trevor Tainton which made it even funnier because he was a foot shorter!

14 hours ago, B1ackbird said:

Tom Ritchie squaring up to Micky Droy...

A Millwall player scoring Directly from an indirect free kick, then running the length of the Dolman in celebration only to find he was the last person in AG to realise it was disallowed...

:clapping:

I think another time that happened was v Boro in the Joe Royle game. I think it was John Craggs and would have made it 1-1 (?) if it had counted. Who knows whether Joe would have gone on to get four that day if it had.

One bizarre and splendidly funny moment I recall took place leaving the ground after a 2-1 win over a Hull a few years back. As Hull fans were being frogmarched through the carpark at the back of the EE, there was a tense moment as they merged briefly with us City fans, also making our way out (heading for Winterstoke road exit).

Cue scenes. Hull fans started showering us with coins. Police got right in their faces, and there was some pushing and shoving. Me? I ducked for cover and sped on, in case it kicked off bad. Too old for all that crap. The coins kept coming, hitting us in the legs, bouncing off the pavement. People covered their faces...

Not one old geezer. Amidst the carnage, this old bloke went down on hands and knees and started picking up every single coin he could find, and stuffing them in his coat pocket.

I remember a game when our old left back John Bailey was having a bit of a torrid time against a lower league right winger. He’d been beaten to the bye line at the eastend but the ball went out for a corner. As Bailey was on the near post someone shouted out “Come on Bailey stick with him” or words to that effect. 

Bailey turned round to the eastend as the ball was in mid flight from the corner and said in his scouse accent “I’m getting there as quick as I **** ing can”! 

Honourable mention for Bradley Orr's cousin who stripped down to his underpants  and ran on to the pitch and jumped all over said Bradley Orr.

Can't remember the match but I was sitting directly behind the cousin in the Williams and thought it decidely strange that someone should decide to disrobe in the middle of winter, he was no Erica Roe.

15 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

How about Chris Garland nearly starting a riot when he rounded the keeper and got down on his hands and knees and headed the ball in during a Gloucester Cup game with the Gas. We were leading about 5-0 at the time and all hell broke loose.

Was that at Eastville about 1969 or 1970. I missed tha game because I couldn't get a bus from London Inn due to usual Bristol traffic chaos. Really pissed off when I heard the result next day.

My event was at Eastville a long time ago when Jackie Pitt and "Ginger" Peacock threw right hooks at each other simultaneously just outside penalty area at Muller Road end. 

Ref sent both off and they trudged to the tunnel with their arms round each other's shoulders. Miserable wet day, got soaked and 0-0 so not even a goal to cheer or boo. 

3 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

I was sure it was Trevor Tainton which made it even funnier because he was a foot shorter!

I could have sworn it was Streaky, it was a long time ago, you could be right.

Droy was a beast, I've not seen much bigger at AG. Maybe Razor Ruddock or Sol Campbell?!?

Archived