IGNORED

David Rennie in court

22A

8 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

He was the reason for me coming the closest I ever have to lamping another City fan. it was away at Norwich in the cup (lost 2-1 with their winner going in off Robert Rosario`s fat arse, think the Chief got ours) and he spent the whole game just slagging DR off and I finally snapped and went for him but my mate grabbed me and the bloke was told in no uncertain terms to find somewhere else to stand for the rest of the game.

I was there that day, didn’t they have a nasty little Scottish player playing for them (Fleck?) we gave him stick all game

Rennie was much more than the dull, run-of-the-mill defensive midfielder that some posts seem to suggest. He was an excellent passer of the ball off either foot with that almost languid style that characterises some cultured players. Many times he would start a move with an elegantly stroked forty yard ball delivered into someone’s path with pinpoint accuracy and was therefore an important part of what made the team tick in an attacking sense, not just a holding player, though it’s true he also had very good defensive qualities and was perfectly comfortable at CD when required. A much under-rated footballer. As someone else has pointed out above, there is a reason he went on to a club then in the top division and played getting on for a hundred games at that level. Deserves to be remembered with respect for his role in what was one of the best City sides I can remember.

15 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Rennie was much more than the dull, run-of-the-mill defensive midfielder that some posts seem to suggest. He was an excellent passer of the ball off either foot with that almost languid style that characterises some cultured players. Many times he would start a move with an elegantly stroked forty yard ball delivered into someone’s path with pinpoint accuracy and was therefore an important part of what made the team tick in an attacking sense, not just a holding player, though it’s true he also had very good defensive qualities and was perfectly comfortable at CD when required. A much under-rated footballer. As someone else has pointed out above, there is a reason he went on to a club then in the top division and played getting on for a hundred games at that level. Deserves to be remembered with respect for his role in what was one of the best City sides I can remember.

Totally agree. It’s a shame that it’s took someone else with the same name appearing in court to jog our memories and generate a discussion. I guess if we had had this forum back then he would have featured in many threads.

19 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Spot on, he was a very good player for us, somewhat over shadowed by super Bob and Shelton. If memory serves,  we bought him from Leeds around the same time as Taylor?

During my ‘part time’ supporting days I went down the Gate quite a few times when Shelton and Rennie were in the midfield.  I never saw the Shelton that so many of you rate...he was decent enough, but I always thought Rennie had a bit of quality...and wasn’t hugely surprised he played a higher level.

He was a probably a good foil for the energetic Shelton, won a lot in the air, both in attack and defence....and those near post flick ons, were deadly.

I’m sure he’d have been the Pack-Marmite of his time.

Interesting reading about David Rennie, Bob Taylor and Mark Gavin on this thread. Remember all three of them playing for Leeds. All decent players too. I had forgotten (or maybe wasn't aware in the first place) that Rennie played as a DM rather than CB for you. Jimmy Lumsden the connection between these former Leeds players moving to Bristol City? Rennie was quite a stylish and elegant player for us, but then would make the odd howler which, when you're playing CB, can often result in a goal being conceded. I am aware of Super Bob's legendary status with you!

Bob Taylor & Rennie were signed together from Leeds by Joe Jordan. Nobody had heard of either of them. Joe responded grumpily to the “Bob who?” remarks by asserting that these were two players who could do the club a lot of good. He wasn’t wrong. Jimmy Lumsden was Joe’s assistant, I think, so very probably one of the links to Leeds that helped bring about those two transfers.

We had quite a few ex-leeds players at the time. Ronnie Sinclair in goal, Mark Aizlewood and later on Ian Baird. Seem to remember we were in for Vince Hilaire around that time as well. Come to think of it we must of had more ex-leeds players than any other team over the years.

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

Perfect descriptive word for Rennie Cliff.:yes: 

I remember he split opinion but certainly don't recall any outright hostility or booing.

@Davefevs has got it right imo., Rennie was similar in many ways to Pack.

Under valued by many while at AG but his contribution will be appreciated more when he moves on.

Almost certainly to better things in Marlon's case too.

6 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Bob Taylor & Rennie were signed together from Leeds by Joe Jordan. Nobody had heard of either of them. Joe responded grumpily to the “Bob who?” remarks by asserting that these were two players who could do the club a lot of good. He wasn’t wrong. Jimmy Lumsden was Joe’s assistant, I think, so very probably one of the links to Leeds that helped bring about those two transfers.

I mostly remember Jimmy Lumsden being Eddie Gray's assistant when Gray was manager at Leeds. I think the two of them were best mates going back a long time! With Jordan as well, there was obviously a Leeds and Scotland connection! Taylor and Rennie will have been "moved on" by Howard Wilkinson when Leeds suddenly began spending quite a lot of money in a determined attempt to get out of Division 2 and return to the top flight.

10 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

I had.  I’d managed Leeds in a Football-Manager type game, so knew them, plus Taylor had played a bit in cup games that had been on tv.  I didn’t realise his thighs were that big though!

11 minutes ago, elruli said:

We had quite a few ex-leeds players at the time. Ronnie Sinclair in goal, Mark Aizlewood and later on Ian Baird. Seem to remember we were in for Vince Hilaire around that time as well. Come to think of it we must of had more ex-leeds players than any other team over the years.

Baird and Hilaire were popular at Leeds. Aizlewood less so.:)

Can only concur with @CliftonCliff and @Nogbad the Bad Rennie was a part of our best midfield since the top flight days and whilst I loved Shelton (& who wouldn’t?) Rennie was just a big a part of what made us tick back then.

Those who occasionally gave him stick simply didn’t know what they were watching..

Great passer, very good in the air and always goal side when we were out of possession, he really was excellent.

The Pack comparison is a very appropriate one.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Can only concur with @CliftonCliff and @Nogbad the Bad Rennie was a part of our best midfield since the top flight days and whilst I loved Shelton (& who wouldn’t?) Rennie was just a big a part of what made us tick back then.

Those who occasionally gave him stick simply didn’t know what they were watching..

Great passer, very good in the air and always goal side when we were out of possession, he really was excellent.

The Pack comparison is a very appropriate one.

Shelton was the bulldozer, Rennie, the Rolls Royce.

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Sure i can remember him hitting a screamer in an end of season stuffing of Walsall. Must of been 1990ish?

Yep, that's the goal I thought of instantly when I saw this thread. In the 4-0 stuffing Walsall he hit a floated lob over the keeper from distance, very reminiscent of Albert's famous lob for Newcastle against Man U a few years later. Don't know if anyone has a clip of that goal, haven't seen it for years. EE went mental. Those were the days...

16 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I can't recall the year or the team, but he did just that at home on Boxing day one year, fantastic strike.

Pretty sure this is the goal I mentioned in a thread about a month ago ‘name your favourite city goals’, this one stood out in my memory. Remember it almost blew a hole in the back of the net at the east end. Might tally up with not being able to find it on local tv, no camera at the match for Boxing Day fixture maybe. 

22 hours ago, Gazred said:

Sure i can remember him hitting a screamer in an end of season stuffing of Walsall. Must of been 1990ish?

21 hours ago, OneCity said:

Yep, that's the goal I thought of instantly when I saw this thread. In the 4-0 stuffing Walsall he hit a floated lob over the keeper from distance, very reminiscent of Albert's famous lob for Newcastle against Man U a few years later. Don't know if anyone has a clip of that goal, haven't seen it for years. EE went mental. Those were the days...

Have a look from 1:27:50.....

Archived