IGNORED

Leeds United (Away) - What Can We Expect From Them

Davefevs

I’ll obviously leave the official page to the regulars, but this is the tactical page.

Last two games;

Defeat to Cardiff 2 games ago:

B5665A70-D9FA-464E-AAF5-7B6FE07658EF.jpeg.2c184f3e4f185791b5a757a82161a58d.jpeg

Defeat to Sheffield United in Heckingbottom’s first Game in change.

93354F3F-8711-40E5-9712-0DF211EE5823.thumb.jpeg.55ab82076273c94b2d1c2c5df04c40ef.jpeg

Formation: fairly standard 4231 based around the big-man Lasogga.

GK: Wiedwald - not a deal different to the inconsistent Silvestre we saw in previous seasons.  Erratic.

RB: Dallas (Berardi suspended - again, Ayling out for the season - a Midfielder by trade, and we know what happens when they play RB!!  A good footballer, I’d like to see Joe Bryan getting at him if we can create overlaps Down that side.

LB: De Bock - rated Belgian, who looked like he has a few defensive deficiencies in him from last week’s showing.

CBs: Jansson and Pennington - one very decent, combative defender, the other still developing and a bit lightweight at this level.

DMs: Phillips - really like this kid (22).  Combative, but can play (sometimes getting in around Lasoggo when not playing DM).  Would like to see someone like him at City. O’Kane - another I like, neat and tidy.  But could be Forshaw (very similar to O’Kane), or Vieira, who I thought bossed our midfield in the home game.  If they play Phillips and Vieira I think we will find it tough through the central areas.

Midfield/Forward 3: Hernandez - very good at this level, tricky, clever movement, good from dead ball situations.  Roofe - willing runner in behind, can score goals, quick.  A threat if we allow him in behind us.  Alioski - can be tricky, but also a slightly cynical side to him.  Perfect for Bryan to be physical with.  As we see from the two previous games, can play either side.

Striker: Lasogga - I may come to rue this, but a poor man’s Chris Wood.  Will get goals if he gets service in / around the 18 yard box, but not gonna run in behind you like a Wood could.

Bench: other than the rotated players mentioned above I can’t say I know much / anything about Sacko, Ekuban ( young, injury prone) or Cibicki.  Vernon Anita is capable at this level, but you wonder if attitude / desire is stopping him being a regular.

So how do we get something?

I think there are a few of key areas.

1) not letting Lasogga get the ball into feet within our final 25 yards, as this will be the springboard for runners and little give and go’s, especially Roofe and Hernandez.  I think we can play quite a high line and squeeze the distances to counteract playing through Lasogga.  Of course they may decide to chip balls in behind and turn us around.

2) Full-Backs - firstly to not let either get into advanced positions where they may overload us, but offensively I think the channel between Pennington (RCB) and Dallas (makeshift RB) is the weakness.  Typically Diedhiou and Reid and whoever plays LM can make chances from here, backed up by Joe.

3) no shit Sherlock but win the battle in central midfield.  If whoever Leeds play in there get control and play in our half (rather than 10-15 yards in their own half) then we will be on the back foot.

Tomorrow is the game to go:

Wright, Flint, Magnüsson, Bryan in the back 4.

Lee make think very differently.

Cmon you reds.  Repreive from Preston, having been 1-0 up today, let’s build the gap.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ll obviously leave the official page to the regulars, but this is the tactical page.

Last two games;

Defeat to Cardiff 2 games ago:

B5665A70-D9FA-464E-AAF5-7B6FE07658EF.jpeg.2c184f3e4f185791b5a757a82161a58d.jpeg

Defeat to Sheffield United in Heckingbottom’s first Game in change.

93354F3F-8711-40E5-9712-0DF211EE5823.thumb.jpeg.55ab82076273c94b2d1c2c5df04c40ef.jpeg

Formation: fairly standard 4231 based around the big-man Lasogga.

GK: Wiedwald - not a deal different to the inconsistent Silvestre we saw in previous seasons.  Erratic.

RB: Dallas (Berardi suspended - again, Ayling out for the season - a Midfielder by trade, and we know what happens when they play RB!!  A good footballer, I’d like to see Joe Bryan getting at him if we can create overlaps Down that side.

LB: De Bock - rated Belgian, who looked like he has a few defensive deficiencies in him from last week’s showing.

CBs: Jansson and Pennington - one very decent, combative defender, the other still developing and a bit lightweight at this level.

DMs: Phillips - really like this kid (22).  Combative, but can play (sometimes getting in around Lasoggo when not playing DM).  Would like to see someone like him at City. O’Kane - another I like, neat and tidy.  But could be Forshaw (very similar to O’Kane), or Vieira, who I thought bossed our midfield in the home game.  If they play Phillips and Vieira I think we will find it tough through the central areas.

Midfield/Forward 3: Hernandez - very good at this level, tricky, clever movement, good from dead ball situations.  Roofe - willing runner in behind, can score goals, quick.  A threat if we allow him in behind us.  Alioski - can be tricky, but also a slightly cynical side to him.  Perfect for Bryan to be physical with.  As we see from the two previous games, can play either side.

Striker: Lasogga - I may come to rue this, but a poor man’s Chris Wood.  Will get goals if he gets service in / around the 18 yard box, but not gonna run in behind you like a Wood could.

Bench: other than the rotated players mentioned above I can’t say I know much / anything about Sacko, Ekuban ( young, injury prone) or Cibicki.  Vernon Anita is capable at this level, but you wonder if attitude / desire is stopping him being a regular.

So how do we get something?

I think there are a few of key areas.

1) not letting Lasogga get the ball into feet within our final 25 yards, as this will be the springboard for runners and little give and go’s, especially Roofe and Hernandez.  I think we can play quite a high line and squeeze the distances to counteract playing through Lasogga.  Of course they may decide to chip balls in behind and turn us around.

2) Full-Backs - firstly to not let either get into advanced positions where they may overload us, but offensively I think the channel between Pennington (RCB) and Dallas (makeshift RB) is the weakness.  Typically Diedhiou and Reid and whoever plays LM can make chances from here, backed up by Joe.

3) no shit Sherlock but win the battle in central midfield.  If whoever Leeds play in there get control and play in our half (rather than 10-15 yards in their own half) then we will be on the back foot.

Tomorrow is the game to go:

Wright, Flint, Magnüsson, Bryan in the back 4.

Lee make think very differently.

Cmon you reds.  Repreive from Preston, having been 1-0 up today, let’s build the gap.

Nice analysis Lee, sorry Dave .

We need to be at it and battle from the off .

The first goal is going to be a killer let's make it ours. 

I would also like to see Maggers in for Baker , freeing up one of Smith or Brownhill to play where they play best. 

Let's do this . 

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Quality post, Dave, top man; where do you get the time for such expert analysis on the opposition?

Are you vying for a job with City? 

Hope you know, we'll be expecting this for every game from now on!

Agreed, you've made a rod for your own back here Dave. 

The @Davefevs In-depth Tactical Preview to go along with @havanatopia's/ @Septic Peg's Official Match Thread.

Bit much to take in first thing on a Sunday morning though- something to study when I'm a bit more awake! 

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Leeds haveafew injuries and suspensions on the plus side, but maybe a bit of new manager bounce on the downside.

We really need to getback to winning ways and it would be nice to get revenge for the troynxing they gave us at the gate earlier in the season.

Mu gut says we will win 2 - 0, but my guts aint great at the moment :)

One point ok but 3 is super. Gonna watch the game on telly, Leeds away we use to lose, time to make a change. COYR!!!

3 minutes ago, daored said:

Local press reporting he’s available for selection.

Got a knee in the head (and lost a tooth!) v Sheff Utd last week. Was substituted because he was Dazed and Confused. As most of the Leeds team have been since Boxing Day. He returned to training on Friday.

15 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Nice analysis Lee, sorry Dave .

We need to be at it and battle from the off .

The first goal is going to be a killer let's make it ours. 

I would also like to see Maggers in for Baker , freeing up one of Smith or Brownhill to play where they play best. 

Let's do this . 

You may not be far from the truth I for one have never seen Lee or Dave in the same room at the same time.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Quality post, Dave, top man; where do you get the time for such expert analysis on the opposition?

Are you vying for a job with City? 

Hope you know, we'll be expecting this for every game from now on!

Ta.  Doesn’t take too long.  I guess when I watch City, I don’t just watch City players, and have a bit of a photographic memory (bit of a geek too) so easily recall opposition players.  Supplement that with stuff on the telly and you build a knowledge (of sorts) of other teams and their players.

Ha ha....any job in the world of professional sport would be perfect, but I’m a bit long in the tooth, and the salary for the Analyst type roles at City is not very well paid at all.  In fact, most non-playing roles in professional sport are poorly paid.

Had I (or my careers teacher) known 30 years ago how big data would be i would have embarked on a different career path.

I saw a job advert yesterday for StatsBomb (based in Bath), who do Opta type stuff, and though I wish I was in my 20s, not approaching 50 with a family.

Great post and analysis @Davefevs as others have already said it would be great to have this on a regular basis!  They have some of their better players missing - Saiz and Berardi being key ones - and if ever there was a time for us to get a result and get things back on track it's today. Try and keep them quiet and nick something on the break I reckon. And mess up 'Ecky's' home debut to boot. Here's hoping! 

I’m still wondering whether Lee will persist with Wright at CB.  Thinking about this, I worry that with Brownhill at RB we lose solidity across our middle four and playing with Paterson and Kent is great going forward but a bit lightweight when we haven’t.

Seeing as LJ is comfortable moving players around could he possibly go:

Fielding

Brownhill, Flint, Wright, Magnússon 

Kent, Smith, Pack, Bryan

Reid, Diedhiou 

Would love to see Bryan going at Dallas.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m still wondering whether Lee will persist with Wright at CB.  Thinking about this, I worry that with Brownhill at RB we lose solidity across our middle four and playing with Paterson and Kent is great going forward but a bit lightweight when we haven’t.

Seeing as LJ is comfortable moving players around could he possibly go:

Fielding

Brownhill, Flint, Wright, Magnússon 

Kent, Smith, Pack, Bryan

Reid, Diedhiou 

Would love to see Bryan going at Dallas.

If they're going to play 4-5-1 we need to keep their wide players on defensive duty as much as possible.

For that reason i'd be looking to put as much pace on the wings as possible to threaten them - so Bryan LB for me with Pato ahead of him.

For the same reason I think actually Brownhill at RB as he can threaten much more going forward than BW. 

Also absolutely key we get that first goal, as 4-5-1, although has it's defensive benefits, can make it hard to get forwards and that will leave Lassoga isolated. So they may switch it up if we score first and then we have more chance to catch then on the break.

15 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

One player left out there @Davefevs is Ronaldo Vieira, really good prospect and played very well against us at AG.

Mind you, with that name he had no choice but football!

I mentioned him, see below (or above)!!!

:P

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

or Vieira, who I thought bossed our midfield in the home game

Archived