IGNORED

End of Promotion as we know it...and I'm feeling fine

The Nest Egg

Okay, the bubble has burst. I don't think we have it in us to challenge this year. It's been a very fun holiday in the top six but it will end soon. Fulham, Villa and Derby are rampaging now and unfortunately we've started to bottle games. 

Yet, before we start to all pull our hair out, this really isn't the end of the world. We have still had a very good season indicative of good progress. If anything, we aren't ready for the Prem just now. We need more signings for depth and for our promising young players to develop. They will learn from the last few weeks. I would have killed to be in this situation last time last year, where I celebrated draws like they were wins. However, don't let this little slump get you down too much. We are a club on the up who are finally starting to get attention for what we can do, and we have proved this against some of the biggest teams in the world. Our reputation for being able to develop promising young prospects is growing, when even a few years so we were never considered in this fashion. 

Once that Wolves winner went in at the Gate, I knew we would have to remain patient to get to the promised land. We are still in a position off the field that the other teams in the league are becoming increasingly envious of. Sure, some might leave, yet we aren't supposed  to get too sentimental about individual players as that's just how football is.

Anyone furious about our current situation needs a nice dose of perspective. This is the best we have been in a decade, and perhaps we have become too entitled towards assuming we are the best thing since sliced bread. I have faith in the team and staff that they will learn from this and we will finally establish ourselves as a respectable team in this division, which as a younger fan I've never really seen before. We have come so far and it would be such a shame to ditch it all now during a poor spell.

3 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Okay, the bubble has burst. I don't think we have it in us to challenge this year. It's been a very fun holiday in the top six but it will end soon. Fulham, Villa and Derby are rampaging now and unfortunately we've started to bottle games. 

Yet, before we start to all pull our hair out, this really isn't the end of the world. We have still had a very good season indicative of good progress. If anything, we aren't ready for the Prem just now. We need more signings for depth and for our promising young players to develop. They will learn from the last few weeks. I would have killed to be in this situation last time last year, where I celebrated draws like they were wins. However, don't let this little slump get you down too much. We are a club on the up who are finally starting to get attention for what we can do, and we have proved this against some of the biggest teams in the world. Our reputation for being able to develop promising young prospects is growing, when even a few years so we were never considered in this fashion. 

Once that Wolves winner went in at the Gate, I knew we would have to remain patient to get to the promised land. We are still in a position off the field that the other teams in the league are becoming increasingly envious of. Sure, some might leave, yet we aren't supposed  to get too sentimental about individual players as that's just how football is.

Anyone furious about our current situation needs a nice dose of perspective. This is the best we have been in a decade, and perhaps we have become too entitled towards assuming we are the best thing since sliced bread. I have faith in the team and staff that they will learn from this and we will finally establish ourselves as a respectable team in this division, which as a younger fan I've never really seen before. We have come so far and it would be such a shame to ditch it all now during a poor spell.

Perspective? We were 2nd in the league and a win for sheff Utd could tske us out of the top 6.

January window the board and manager have let us down.

1 minute ago, Londoner said:

Perspective? We were 2nd in the league and a win for sheff Utd could tske us out of the top 6.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Our key downfall last time was signing too many players in a knee jerk policy. After that, it's the beginning of the end. I didn't think the window was perfect but we would have been susceptible to being completely ripped off as teams would have known our relative financial strength and desperation for players.

6 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Our key downfall last time was signing too many players in a knee jerk policy. After that, it's the beginning of the end. I didn't think the window was perfect but we would have been susceptible to being completely ripped off as teams would have known our relative financial strength and desperation for players.

Hindsight of not having a fit rb for 4 months? Get in the real world.

2 minutes ago, reddoc said:

You're quite right. As long as we set our expectations low enough, every chance we'll achieve them. Big problem with our fans,

I'm not saying low expectations, in saying long term expectations. To get out of this league everything has to be perfect. What I'm not going to do is run around tearing my hair out if it doesn't happen this year. Consider it cautious optimism.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the bigger picture of BCFC (or at least nobody with a brain) but these two performances need to be looked at in isolation. We have absolutely choked in our last two games against bloody awful opponents. Regardless of whether we are 15 points clear at the top of the premier league or bottom of the blue square South and in administration, that is unacceptable and the players should be ashamed of themselves.

3 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

I'm not saying low expectations, in saying long term expectations. To get out of this league everything has to be perfect. What I'm not going to do is run around tearing my hair out if it doesn't happen this year. Consider it cautious optimism.

Cardiff spend **** all money and have an excellent chance of it. They certainly don' have it perfect.

1 minute ago, Londoner said:

Hindsight of not having a fit rb for 4 months? Get in the real world.

No need to speak like that to me at all. Yes we should have looked at options at RB but what if we had just got in some guy who took ages to settle in while ruining the squad dynamic? I understand you're frustrated, it was a frustrating game to watch, but there is no need for you to be so touchy.

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Cardiff spend **** all money and have an excellent chance of it. They certainly don' have it perfect.

Good for them. What they do is irrelevant to us. Comparing them to us all the time is just going to make people angrier when actually we just need to be focusing on ourselves 

9 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Perspective? It was the same board and manager that got us to second in the first place, a position of over-achievement given our budget compared to many Championship rivals. We finished 17th last season, we are currently on course for a 4th consecutive season of improvement in our league position, we remain very much in the play off picture...and the consensus view at the start of the season was a mid table finish, so our league position remains above expectation. Furthermore the “win or bust” strategy you appear to advocate comes with no guarantees and plenty of risk.

That’s my perspective.

2 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

No body on here has given Leeds any credit for their comeback 

In the 2nd half they played some good football and got us on the back foot

So much easier to slag our players our manager our chairman 

Exactly; people are claiming they were awful but second half they were a very good side. Sadly that doesn't fit the doomsday rhetoric of this old boys club

4 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

No body on here has given Leeds any credit for their comeback 

In the 2nd half they played some good football and got us on the back foot

So much easier to slag our players our manager our chairman 

Indeed.

When we win it’s because of what we did right.

When we lose it’s because of what we did wrong.

The concept of two teams trying to win a game of football is never even a consideration.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Indeed.

When we win it’s because of what we did right.

When we lost it’s because of what we did wrong.

The concept of two teams trying to win a game of football is never even a consideration.

Absolutely.

Mistakes were made second half, but Leeds were a totally different side to the one we saw in the first half.

5 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Exactly; people are claiming they were awful but second half they were a very good side. Sadly that doesn't fit the doomsday rhetoric of this old boys club

Always difficult when they are trying to impress their new boss, and thought we could well lose

Not the worst result, but we were poor in the second half. Really carried little threat at all. Second game in a row we have been cruising with twenty to go score wise and messed it up. Just depressing really, but nowhere near as bad a result as the Sunderland one for me.

1 minute ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Not quite true.

Perhaps not an absolute but you can already tell that people here are lining up ready to use them as a weapon against our club. It just gets tiresome to hear it really to the point that if they go up and we don't this place will INEVITABLY ignore the positives of the season and just becomes a hivemind of pessimism again.

24 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

IMO the expectations of  our fans are to high

What, mid table? Possibly top ten, great improvement on last year. Well it's true of course, but it shows too much acceptance of mediocrity, which was kind of my point.

We are a “glass jaw” team! Have been for several years.

It is a trait which needs to be sorted. I think LJ is a good manager but tactics are questionable at the moment. He needs to try to kill these games off when 2-0, 3-0 up. Another day we could have scored 4 or 5, but I would be happy with a 2-1 today. Becoming very predictable.

Archived