IGNORED

End of Promotion as we know it...and I'm feeling fine

The Nest Egg

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Still don't understand the determination to write the obituary while the patient is still capable of making a full recovery.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's like a self-preservation tactic I think.

If it gets to April and it's mathematically impossible for people to get playoffs, they can say 'Well I did say back in February'. It also means they can subconsciously come to terms with it.

I don't really understand the mentality either, we're still 6th. Until it's out of our hands then we've got it to play for which is a great position to be in by late Feb.

It'll be something to do with anxiety, a rather unpleasant feeling. And we all cope with anxiety differently, individually. Uncertainty about the outcome of something very important to you creates anxiety, and so writing us off now provides, for some folks, some relief from the anxiety generated by the will we/won't we, nip n tuck nailbiting involved in a promotion race. Or, it is, at least, an attempt to alleviate anxiety. 

What I don't understand is why they keep going/watching/following, and don't follow something ekse/less anxiety inducing! Football is so much agony, particularly for the more anxious sorts, as I reckon many of the "doomngloomers" will be.

I feel much empathy and compassion for them. 

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

There is a vast difference between media coverage and the club hyping themselves up.

Links please.

You think that the media just come cold calling for the stories that have been published?  I very much doubt it.

The media department have done a great job in raising the club's profile.  But with that comes a raising of the fans expectations.

And stop typing "Links please".  There is no way I am going back through the forum to turn up all the threads linking to media articles.  You will have seen them, you are on OTIB as much as I am.

54 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

You think that the media just come cold calling for the stories that have been published?  I very much doubt it.

The media department have done a great job in raising the club's profile.  But with that comes a raising of the fans expectations.

And stop typing "Links please".  There is no way I am going back through the forum to turn up all the threads linking to media articles.  You will have seen them, you are on OTIB as much as I am.

For all of them? Of course not. Things like the wine for Mourinho were clearly staged and LJ called it a gimmick himself, but a large number of the articles about us weren't done with the clubs involvement, and those were the most praisworthy of us.

I'm asking for a link to the club hyping themselves up- I don't recall any articles where that was the case which is why I asking.

You're failure to provide one is very damning of the point you were trying to make.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

, but a large number of the articles about us weren't done with the clubs involvement, and those were the most praisworthy of us.

How do you know that?  From my knowledge of marketing and journalists I would be surprised if there was not club involvement,

But I do not propose to get into a lengthy argument as we shall never agree  I shall rephrase my point; fans will have high expectations if the club is praised and extolled in the way it has been.  

We've had a really bad run but we are still in the top 6. If we have come through it and now start performing again there is no reason why we shouldn't be top 6 after 46 games. If we finish 7th people will say we bottled it but that will be the seasons outcome. Yes someone will find the game where we gave it away but we have scored some late goals as well as conceding them. Lets debate this in May, not February. There are lots of points still to play for.

13 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

How do you know that?  From my knowledge of marketing and journalists I would be surprised if there was not club involvement,

But I do not propose to get into a lengthy argument as we shall never agree  I shall rephrase my point; fans will have high expectations if the club is praised and extolled in the way it has been.  

Because a lot of them were opinion pieces following our performances against the Manchester clubs.

It's likely the club were aware of them being done, but they contained no actual input from the club other than the occasional quote from a player or LJ from a post match interview.

Fully on board with not getting into a protracted discussion here, but wanted to answer the question.

Archived