IGNORED

Bryan .....

headhunter

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

You will probally find posters like myself, kept our feet firmly on the ground when the media were blowing smoke up the managers and some players asses

Joe is a good player for this level. He is not good enough for the Prem. 24 isnt massively young in football terms

He will get his Premiership move. I would be suprised if he is good enough to stay there

All good mate, and fair enough, but I'm of the opinion that Joe is/could be good enough (you never know unless you give him the opportunity) - I accept I could be wrong!

I thought this before the media smoke-storm and still maintain this now. Would love him to be given the opportunity to show us what he's got.

20 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

You will probally find posters like myself, kept our feet firmly on the ground when the media were blowing smoke up the managers and some players asses

Joe is a good player for this level. He is not good enough for the Prem. 24 isnt massively young in football terms

He will get his Premiership move. I would be suprised if he is good enough to stay there

This is spot on for me. Joe Bryan is a good Championship player but I just dont think he has what it takes to really become an established player in the Premier League, he's not the player many of our fans think he is IMO. 

1 hour ago, bemmyredjeff said:

Joey "big bollocks " attitude since mid December i'm afraid.

Absolutely nothing to back this up. Maybe it was the physio he personally paid for to help a self-employed amateur footballer back on his feet that makes you think he's got the wrong attitude? Or the hundreds of pounds he donated to the pitches that got vandalized. Joke of a comment.

43 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

I bet he can't wait for O'Dowda to be back 

How would O’Dowda have helped Joe’s concentration level for the 2nd goal? 

I’ve said it a hundred times. Joe does not sense danger quickly enough and is slow to react to situations. Happens again for their 2nd today. 

Joe is a player with plenty of ability, but he has a slow football brain. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

I've kind of said this before in threads over the past few years. I'm not convinced that Joe himself wants to be a footballer. He's incredibly talented but just doesn't seem to want to go through the gears all the time to get to that top level that we all know he's got. Having said that mind, even at 75% effort Joe is a quality shout. I think we need to tease more out of him. 

The camera panned to him at one point when he gave away a free kick around 80(?) minutes and you could see his head drop, confidence drop and he seemed to be verbally belittling himself under his breath.

Suggests poor mental strength to me, something that needs careful man-management to develop and improve.

33 minutes ago, Harry said:

How would O’Dowda have helped Joe’s concentration level for the 2nd goal? 

I’ve said it a hundred times. Joe does not sense danger quickly enough and is slow to react to situations. Happens again for their 2nd today. 

Wasn't defending him for their second, but if he has someone on that left hand side who's a bit more aware defensively it takes the weight off his shoulder a bit... and helps his concentration in the long run. He's had a lot of responsibility trying to walk Magnússon through games when he's been at LB and Joe at LM, and Kent has only just got up to speed. Personally think having O'Dowda back will make a big difference for Joe. 

49 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Wasn't defending him for their second, but if he has someone on that left hand side who's a bit more aware defensively it takes the weight off his shoulder a bit... and helps his concentration in the long run. He's had a lot of responsibility trying to walk Magnússon through games when he's been at LB and Joe at LM, and Kent has only just got up to speed. Personally think having O'Dowda back will make a big difference for Joe. 

Sorry, I don’t see Joe having walked Magnússon through games. Quite the opposite. The one player on the pitch who seeks to receive the most “advice” during games is Joe. He is continually being “advised” by everyone around him. Joe needs talking through games and be told where to go or what to do more than anyone. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sorry, I don’t see Joe having walked Magnússon through games. Quite the opposite. The one player on the pitch who seeks to receive the most “advice” during games is Joe. He is continually being “advised” by everyone around him. Joe needs talking through games and be told where to go or what to do more than anyone. 

He's becoming a liability at LB mate. Even Bailey reads the game better as a full back. Keeps switching off and not reacting quick enough and it's costing us results.

What's worse is Kent will fill the role he should be playing as a LM. And he's starting to show little end product for all his endeavour.

Every City fan see's JB's great ability at going forward offensively or when the ball is in front of him...his weakness is tracking back, positional play, reaction and awareness when play happens near 'his man' and going missing when needing a breather.

Fantastic going forward, but useless as a LB imo....could cost us big time. Fans only see his good points going forward unfortunately and so does LJ, and I'm one of his biggest fans.

1 hour ago, CheddarReds said:

Don’t agree with that, think it’s Baker that does the talking....more than the captain too.

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Had a good first half, got exposed second half.  He’s having a poor spell, but not being helped either.

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Had a good first half, got exposed second half.  He’s having a poor spell, but not being helped either.

I can’t see where JB was “exposed” Dave. Magnússon spent quite a lot of time closer to JB than he did to Flint. Likewise, Kent did his fair share of defensive duties and was behind JB on some occasions. Pack also got dragged toward the left side quite a lot. No way was JB exposed - he had 3 other players covering him on the left side, doing more than they needed to out there. If anything, Joe was getting MORE help than usual. 

As Spudski alludes to above, JB is s good player going forward but his lack of awareness and speed of thought is becoming our weakest link and is starting to cost us. 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

I can’t see where JB was “exposed” Dave. Magnússon spent quite a lot of time closer to JB than he did to Flint. Likewise, Kent did his fair share of defensive duties and was behind JB on some occasions. Pack also got dragged toward the left side quite a lot. No way was JB exposed - he had 3 other players covering him on the left side, doing more than they needed to out there. If anything, Joe was getting MORE help than usual. 

As Spudski alludes to above, JB is s good player going forward but his lack of awareness and speed of thought is becoming our weakest link and is starting to cost us. 

Yes, all fair comment....you’ve picked out some bits that now I’ve read them are jogging my memory of quite a few scenarios in the second half.  Ta.

I guess I mean that Leeds managed to get easy ball out to Sacko.  Every pass from midfield was a hurried pass in the first half, yet in second period, they were pinging unchallenged 40 yarders out there.

I do think Joe could do with playing LM on Wednesday, he’s still an important player for us, imho.

i do wonder what’s happened to him and all that "he’s really improved defensively, must’ve been the influence of Macca" type stuff, that me included have posted. Had a good first half, yet below par second.  Not the only one though.

Is Baker that big an influence?  On the whole back unit?

It seems so.

Thought Magnússon had a very steady game today.  Deserves to keep a shirt for Wednesday.

5 hours ago, DownendRed97 said:

Think he is a fantastic player personally however it seems that once or twice a game he does something a bit too casually and pays the price, needs to keep his concentration throughout the whole 90. Gets away with it when he's playing left midfield however at left back it's easier to notice and easier to be punished for it.

I have started saying he is not strong enough as a left back for 90 minutes especially when he bombs up the wing. Either dont play him there or take him off after 65. Problem is LJ has no cover good enough for that position.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Agree to disagree there when Maggers has been left back I've seen JB guiding him through it a bit much for it to fill me with confidence! 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t agree with that, think it’s Baker that does the talking....more than the captain too.

In reply to both, not saying Joe is the leader or that he doesn't have flaws defensively, but I think he's had a lot of responsibility on that left hand side recently, which has clearly worn him and his confidence, and wouldn't have struggled as much recently with CO'D in front of him. 

I agree with Spud & have been saying the same as him for some time now. Joe Bryan is not a left back. Possibly a left wing back in a solid 3-5-2, but really he is a midfielder either on the left or in the middle.

He gets exposed at left back by his positional play more than anything. He can tackle well & is great going forward but give him a decent right winger to deal with and he is in trouble.

For the sake of the rest of our season, we desperately need Baker back in the middle of defence & Magnússon at left back with Joe in front of him on Wednesday. Against Fulham we need solidity and then to hit them on the break. Our form has slumped & our confidence has slumped with it as we have forgotten how to win, while the Carabao Cup semi-final games whilst great at the time, have been a massive distraction to our promotion push.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Agreed. Bryan cannot defend. However in my opinion we have needed recognised full-backs for the past couple of seasons. Not sure why the coaching staff have not identified this. Yes we have had injuries - Pisano of course is a loss - but can't quite understand that this part of the team has seemingly not been considered

55 minutes ago, BCFC1959 said:

Agreed. Bryan cannot defend. However in my opinion we have needed recognised full-backs for the past couple of seasons. Not sure why the coaching staff have not identified this. Yes we have had injuries - Pisano of course is a loss - but can't quite understand that this part of the team has seemingly not been considered

I am glad someone else agrees with me.

44 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Bryan is possibly the best left back in the championship. He was rock solid for the majority of yesterday's game.

I am seriously trying to understand how you could possibly come to this conclusion.

JB is a wonderful player but he is no left back.

8 hours ago, JonDolman said:

People weren't saying that when he was our best player nearly every game earlier in the season. I'm sure people will be saying how great he is again soon. I put it down to tactics that we look so vulnerable.

I was 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Can you show us any posts on here from that time when it seemed every person was saying he's amazing, prem quality etc. Will be very surprised if you did post he wasn't a left back then 

In defense of Harry he's been saying he's not a left back the entire time JB has been playing for us.

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Can you show us any posts on here from that time when it seemed every person was saying he's amazing, prem quality etc. Will be very surprised if you did post he wasn't a left back then 

In fairness our fans do get carried away. Patterson was the best player in the championship a few months back.

9 hours ago, Shtanley said:

For me his best position is left back, but having someone like Kent ahead of him doesn't help at all. 

I'm with you on this one, I think people are being a little harsh on his defensive abilities.

Stats never paint a full picture, I know, but squawka has him down as the 10th 'best' defender in the league, and second best (to Sessegnon) attacking defender in the league.

For me I think it's a mental thing as much as anything - he just seems to switch off sometimes or just get 'out thought' by the opposition player, and it's cost us a few times recently so it's brought to focus. 

I can equally remember a number of cracking, well timed challenges he has made too. Not to mention that turn of pace when he tracked back and out-muscled Ekuban who was getting away on the break yesterday.

He needs to balance the attacking and defending side of his game still, improve that stamina and game management. 

Agree that he has been let down recently too by Pato and Kent not tracking either....

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think Bryan is possibly the best left back in the championship. He was rock solid for the majority of yesterday's game.

I think you might revise this by 21:45 on Wednesday when you see a certain 17 year old in action.  In fairness he’s played almost half at LM.

Others for consideration:

Barry "eff me what a left foot" Douglas - Wolves

George Friend - Boro

Greg Cunningham - PNE

Marcus Olsson - Derby

I’d put 3 of those and Sessegnon ahead of Bryan.

Archived