IGNORED

Did you hear lee johnson on tv

Moth3at3r

8 minutes ago, jimross2005 said:

Its just annoying using it as an easy excuse, especially when its not true.

being 24/25 is not a young group in my eyes, if they're under 20 I'd cut them some slack and it would be a valid reason, 

end of the day we are not good enough and using they're young excuse is crap in my opinion, they're old enough and everyone should be doing better.

Its obvious to everyone we didn't recruit well enough in January again

Right back was a key area, and letting veneer out on loan with no natural cover was a mistake.

Bailey wright a liability, even at centre half, always fouls, shirt pulling, shanks the ball out of play, he battles well but that's it, and hes club captain, good one!!

we needed players who are good now and have experience to help the "younger " players develop, yet we bring in two youngsters (under 21) and a out of form striker, yet surely being in the top 6 we could have and deserved better than that?

A massive opportunity missed,

same old city trying to do things on the cheap, when this team needed the investment the most

same happened in 2007/8, we didn't spend in January window and lost out,  same happened now

who knows when / if we will have such a good opportunity to go up, absolute shambles!!

Agree. Its an easy cop out the age thing, like you said 25 is not young particularly for a footballer.. the majority of these lads have lots and lots of pro games under there belts so for me im in total agreement that its just being used as a convenient excuse.. 

As for the 2008 comparison i cant help but agree and i have brought up the comparison myself a few times on this forum over the last week or two. People will argue and say we are in a different place both on and off the field to what we were in 2008 and they are not wrong, we are building towards the future and our transfer policy is much better now but you have to wonder as a club historically these opportunities to reach the top flight come around once in a bluemoon for Bristol City football club and IMO more should have been done this January to strengthen. I mean realistically who's to say we wont struggle next season? It would then make this opportunity even more of a missed one.

7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Sorry mate but at 25 you should be the full ticket.

Clearly many are. I suppose it it about balance. Take Fielding out and they are all in their 20s. Love Flint to bits, but he does seem to get in to a zone where he is self absorbed about his own performance (in a good way) and is not a leader on the field. Maybe we do miss that ‘seen it all before’ type of player now and again just to calm everything down. Closest we have for me is Baker.

35 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I can't believe what he's saying. Derby away and Reading at home last season. Now Sunderland and Leeds this season. 

Add in the one's that we've lost after a one goal lead and it's a recurring theme at LJ's Bristol City. Alright I wasn't there but from radio commentary it was a very one sided game against a poor team. We squandered chances to close it out but even if we'd scored four, and could we have held on? 

Enough is enough Johnson. Do the honourable thing please. 

When you say “honourable thing” can you spell out what you mean?

Is it resign?

If it is then **** me. This time last year we was staring down the barrel of relegation. This year we’re in a play off place.

And cocks like you seem to want Little Lee to do the honourable thing.

******* hell......

2 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Valid point BS4, and taken.

I guess you (I) could argue that he could've developed and gone on to have been even better had it not been for injuries/career moves that ultimately hampered his career?

I would suggest maybe Michael Owen had far more potential than Joe Bryan, but could still have developed/progressed further?

I suppose every footballer could think they could have done more, especially someone like Michael Owen who was on fire at the age of 18....but he did score 81 goals in 129 games for England at all levels and he notched 118 goals in only 216 games for Liverpool, 13 in 36 for Real Madrid and 26 in 71 for The Toon - a top striker who didn’t need to wait until he was 25 to ‘start developing’ - I’m not sure he could have done a lot more with his career, although I’ve always wondered what his final goals tally would have been if he’d stayed with Liverpool for his whole career....I think it would have been mind-blowing...

13 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Sorry mate but at 25 you should be the full ticket.

I also think its about experience. Age is just that age.. Josh Brownhill for example has a huge amount of pro appearances under his belt already at 22 and probably more than some 25/26 year olds that are in the sport have.. does that then mean just because the 25/26 are older than Josh they should be more of an experienced head? Of course it dosn't, Josh has played enough professional games to know better than those lads.. (not singling Brownhill out in particular just using him as an example) point im making is every player needs to stand up and take responsibility, far too easy to hide behind the 'but im young' bull IMO.

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I suppose every footballer could think they could have done more, especially someone like Michael Owen who was on fire at the age of 18....but he did score 81 goals in 129 games for England at all levels and he notched 118 goals in only 216 games for Liverpool, 13 in 36 for Real Madrid and 26 in 71 for The Toon - a top striker who didn’t need to wait until he was 25 to ‘start developing’ - I’m not sure he could have done a lot more with his career, although I’ve always wondered what his final goals tally would have been if he’d stayed with Liverpool for his whole career....I think it would have been mind-blowing...

Definitely with you there. He was frighteningly good. 

It's a shame Rafa didn't see him in his first team plans, although they did go on to win the CL that season so not sure they missed him too much..

1 minute ago, bris red said:

I also think its about experience. Age is just that age.. Josh Brownhill for example has a huge amount of pro appearances under his belt already at 22 and probably more than some 25/26 year olds that are in the sport have.. does that then me just because the 25/26 are older than Josh they should be more of an experienced head? Of course it dosn't, Josh has played enough professional games to know better than those lads.. (not singling Brownhill out in particular just using him as an example) 

Fair comment. Some poor game management at times on and off the pitch this season amongst the highs. I think recruitment of a Hartley type if available would iron some of that out.

25 minutes ago, jimross2005 said:

Right back was a key area, and letting veneer out on loan with no natural cover was a mistake.

Bailey wright a liability, even at centre half, always fouls, shirt pulling, shanks the ball out of play, he battles well but that's it, and hes club captain, good one!!

we needed players who are good now and have experience to help the "younger " players develop, yet we bring in two youngsters (under 21) and a out of form striker, yet surely being in the top 6 we could have and deserved better than that?

So we should have kept Vyner, a 20 year old inexperienced centre back, to play right back instead of an experienced defender with over 200 championship games, let alone internationals.

:dunno:

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

Fair comment. Some poor game management at times on and off the pitch this season amongst the highs. I think recruitment of a Hartley type if available would iron some of that out.

Maybe a fit Gary Oneil is what has been missing at this stage of the season? Who knows

7 minutes ago, bris red said:

Maybe a fit Gary Oneil is what has been missing at this stage of the season? Who knows

Think he’s got a big role to play yet.  If he comes back fit and with fire / desire to make up for the last 12 months of injury-woe, he could be our "Wade".

Today (and to a lesser extent last Sat) we needed another player to pass, move, receive, pass, move, receive....let Leeds chase us.  I really thought it we’d played the same in the second half as we did in the first for 15-20 minutes, the likes of Pennington, Hernandez etc would end up "losing their sh1t" and get red-carded.  However we gave them encouragement.  We needed "Wade’ to suck the life out of the game.  We had a spell of about 5 minutes in the second half where we got in behind the ball, won it, kept it, and for that 5 minutes I sensed Leeds getting frustrated again.  We couldn’t keep it going because Kent (and I'm really not trying to single him out) didn’t stick to the basics.

Shame.

40 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Michael Owen was scoring world class goals at a World Cup when he was 18....he didn’t need another SEVEN years to develop...

But that’s why we’re Bristol City & in The Championship, if we had Owen, Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes etc when they were young, it’s unlikely that we’d of been in the lower reaches of the game! That’s why the big clubs are the big clubs because they attract all the best talent. It’s very rare that a club from the lower divisions have that sort of talent to call on from their youth team, the big clubs will of already poached them.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But that’s why we’re Bristol City & in The Championship, if we had Owen, Rooney, Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes etc when they were young, it’s unlikely that we’d of been in the lower reaches of the game! That’s why the big clubs are the big clubs because they attract all the best talent. It’s very rare that a club from the lower divisions have that sort of talent to call on from their youth team, the big clubs will of already poached them.

Youre bang on. Thing is though we arent talking about 18 year olds. Earlier comment about experience are relevant though but we should have enough on the pitch to manage ups and downs of games a bit better.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

How many wouldn’t of been happy with coming away with a point pre-game? It’s certainly not a bad result in the bigger picture.

We have no god given right to turn anyone over. It seems like just because we had a good cup run some people are expecting us to brush everyone aside!

Look at how far we have come in a year, we are progressing as club!!

Agreed but to see how we have capitulated in the last 2 games is a worry. At this level you can't do that. 

I thought the first 20 mins of the second half we looked so comfortable. Leeds had no idea. We were organised and they had no way through.

then hernandez had a 1-1 with Wright and beat him easy, then the momentum suddenly shifted. Shortly after they score - from frankly a nothing cross.  

Wright was totally at fault for the first goal. He’s no right back.

and from then on Leeds have their tails up and we can’t get a foot on the ball. And when we did it’s rabbits in headlights stuff. All because the momentum’s has shifted.

That’s when you need calm heads in the spine of the team. I really think we lack that nous. That common sense which says ok, we losing the game here. Let’s keep possession and slow it down. 

59 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Youre bang on. Thing is though we arent talking about 18 year olds. Earlier comment about experience are relevant though but we should have enough on the pitch to manage ups and downs of games a bit better.

But my comment still counts, if our 25 year-olds were that great or the finished article, they’d be playing in The Premier League, not for Bristol City, this is why we are signing players comparatively cheaply because we sign them in the hope of improving them, not in the hope that they have gone as far as they can in the game. They are going to make mistakes because they are still learning & improving (for the large part).

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Agreed but to see how we have capitulated in the last 2 games is a worry. At this level you can't do that. 

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy with the way results have come about but we are in a much better position than we have been for many a year, especially at this level & there’s no reason that we can’t suddenly go on another decent run again, we’ve already played Wolves, Villa & Derby twice & by the end of this week, we will have played the top 5 twice, so no more games against clubs above us & we should have more of our injured players back available for the run-in as well.

8 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But my comment still counts, if our 25 year-olds were that great or the finished article, they’d be playing in The Premier League, not for Bristol City, this is why we are signing players comparatively cheaply because we sign them in the hope of improving them, not in the hope that they have gone as far as they can in the game. They are going to make mistakes because they are still learning & improving (for the large part).

Understand what your saying but we operate in the here and now. Spending money for the future is great but I think we need a balance.

23 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy with the way results have come about but we are in a much better position than we have been for many a year, especially at this level & there’s no reason that we can’t suddenly go on another decent run again, we’ve already played Wolves, Villa & Derby twice & by the end of this week, we will have played the top 5 twice, so no more games against clubs above us & we should have more of our injured players back available for the run-in as well.

Agreed but our games against Sunderland and Bolton show how close this division is. Here's hoping for a bit of a recovery going into the next few games. We just cannot afford repeats of Sunderland, Bolton and Leeds. We must win games like these. To give up a 3 or 2 goal lead at this level is unforgivable.

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Because Leeds is a difficult place to go & win, hence the reason why we haven’t won there since 1979 & add to that the fact that we had only won 1 in 7 before the game, we are hardly in the form of our season are we?!?

Neither are they - last two home games they conceded 4 to Cardiff and Millwall.

We can dress this up as much as we like but the last three games were all winnable - particularly the last two as we were 3 and 2 up.

It doesn’t matter about where we were last season, it doesn’t matter about the cup run, there is no way we should not have had 6 points in the last two games given the position we got to in both of them.

Had we been fighting for our lives the attitude of acceptance would not have been there on this forum after these results. It is clear that a number of posters don’t want promotion and are happy with mid table mediocrity.

Be careful what you wish for - next season we could be stronger OR we become a Reading or Sheffield Wed.

The chance was there to go up and it looks like we have blown it.

IF it’s true that MA said we are not chasing promotion, I do wonder if that has affected the squad and the coaches....

IF true, it was a bizarre statement.

23 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Agreed but our games against Sunderland and Bolton show how close this division is. Here's hoping for a bit of a recovery going into the next few games. We just cannot afford repeats of Sunderland, Bolton and Leeds. We must win games like these. To give up a 3 or 2 goal lead at this level is unforgivable.

The thing being Tone is that very much understood about just how tough The Championship is & that on any given day anyone can beat anyone. Sheffield Wednesday during midweek beat Derby despite being around 15th in the table & on a poor run while while Derby were on a very good run, Forest not so long ago went to the unbeatable & run away leaders & beat them on their own patch, despite Forest being very poor for most of this season & Wolves having already won the division despite there being months left of the season.

That’s the beauty & frustration of the game we all follow, if everything went to form there would be no point in watching it unless you were only a glory hunter & were guaranteed for your team to win.

The Championship is getting tougher & tougher, more clubs are coming down from The Premier League that have been there for years & with them they are bringing stronger squads & even greater resources with them. Let’s not forget, Sunderland were a Premier League club less than a year ago & have been benefiting of collecting about £100m a year just for being in that division.

There is a vast gulf in the resources some clubs have but still the division throws up some surprise results.

16 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

We can dress this up as much as we like but the last three games were all winnable - particularly the last two as we were 3 and 2 up.

It doesn’t matter about where we were last season, it doesn’t matter about the cup run, there is no way we should not have had 6 points in the last two games given the position we got to in both of them.

Had we been fighting for our lives the attitude of acceptance would not have been there on this forum after these results. It is clear that a number of posters don’t want promotion and are happy with mid table mediocrity.

Be careful what you wish for - next season we could be stronger OR we become a Reading or Sheffield Wed.

IF it’s true that MA said we are not chasing promotion, I do wonder if that has affected the squad and the coaches....

There are still lots of points to play for, by next Sunday we will have played the current top 5 teams twice already, so as it stands, no more playing anyone above us, those above us will undoubtedly still have to play other teams in the top 6 & points will be shared out amongst other teams.

It is highly unlikely that anyone will go unbeaten between now & the end of the season. But with a few more of our long term injuries coming back, it will give us a much stronger matchday squad & will enable us to manage games better as well as being able to rest some players to enable us to have players fresh for the run-in.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I can't believe what he's saying. Derby away and Reading at home last season. Now Sunderland and Leeds this season. 

Add in the one's that we've lost after a one goal lead and it's a recurring theme at LJ's Bristol City. Alright I wasn't there but from radio commentary it was a very one sided game against a poor team. We squandered chances to close it out but even if we'd scored four, and could we have held on? 

Enough is enough Johnson. Do the honourable thing please. 

I think calls for him to go are drastic. Come the end of the season we'll be pleased that we haven't been in a relegation scrap, and possibly disappointed that we didn't make the playoffs when we had such a good opportunity, but still plenty of games left. Worrying signs I agree because these things are repeats of last season, but overall we have had plenty of entertaining football to watch. I only want to see Managers get the boot if we are in the bottom 3.

3 hours ago, jimross2005 said:

Not really getting this young players excuse?

Fair enough using young players excuse if they're aged 17,18,19,20 etc

But look below most are mid twenties, seems a easy excuse, but not a valid one

Fielding - 29/30

Wright - 25

Flint - 28

Magnússon - 25

Bryan - 24

Kent - 21

Pack - 26/27

Smith - 27

Brownhill - 22

Djeidhou - 25

Reid - 25

people on here were trying to excuse bryans inconsistency by saying he is only 24,  really!!

15 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

There are still lots of points to play for, by next Sunday we will have played the current top 5 teams twice already, so as it stands, no more playing anyone above us, those above us will undoubtedly still have to play other teams in the top 6 & points will be shared out amongst other teams.

It is highly unlikely that anyone will go unbeaten between now & the end of the season. But with a few more of our long term injuries coming back, it will give us a much stronger matchday squad & will enable us to manage games better as well as being able to rest some players to enable us to have players fresh for the run-in.

Good summary that.

I was as gutted as everyone else when Leeds scored their second (and I had to endure mother in law for Sunday lunch prior to that, so not a good day)  Leaving the Man U and Man C performances to one side, it's just not looked quite right for a while but with Bakes back then Eros not far behind the shape will look better and oh how getting CO'D back would make a difference.

Too many on here overthinking the Sunderland and Leeds results, yes both very disappointing but there is a lot to play for yet.

*Nothing is won in Februray or March for that*

As regards Mark Ashton, my take on his words were we are where we are today, next week, next month, end of season we'll be where we are then.  Hold that thought and re-read the previous line*

54 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

liked, some people are very easily pleased, today was about as disappointing as it could be, you are right leeds were there for the taking and we blew it, there is no other way of putting it, in a total of 9 games earlier on in the season beating us was their only victory, and before today they had not won this year, hard to defend our record against them really isn't it .

Archived