IGNORED

Game Management

ZiderEyed

21 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

We can talk all day long about the relative merits or demerits of shuffling the front or middle lines but until the management get a solid back line with back up this sort of thing will continue to happen. Only Baker and Flint deserve to be in the starting line up. Pisano when he is fit and a new left back. Rocket science it isn't; always, always, build from the back. We have not completed that job in two years and then exacerbated it by the huge mistake of selling Ayling; no player should be sold because he had one infraction. Quite insane. Still, we are 6th. No complaints.

We have been poor defensively. Cardiff, Villa and Derby all have scored 48 goals this season (us 47) yet they have goal differences of +21, +19,  +22  ours   +9

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What if Ayling wanted the move? Leeds are a big club, not every day you get that opportunity.

8 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I don't know of course, but I strongly suspect that Lansdown wanted the Ayling move.

The move came about very quickly. It is always possible he wanted to go but his performances did not seem to suggest that.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could the return of Diedhiou have disrupted a lot of what we did well, odd though it may sound? With the resultant impact on game management.

I rate him and think he's a good player and offers abilities...but Paterson behind Reid in a sort of 4-4-1-1 was our best, most cohesive run of form. In the Autumn/early Winter we definitely did not look like crumbling like this- think Boro and Forest at home, think Sheff Utd away and up to and including Reading at home- we absorbed some pressure at times and in the game at Sheff Utd tbh got very lucky but the vulnerability factor just was not there- that setup with generally- but not always- Paterson behind Reid- gave us a combination of flexibility and protection IMO.

It does. Because A he is not pressing, shielding and screening in the same manner. He is not as mobile and it invites the team to launch it readily.

Patterson and Reid provided more shape from the front than yesterday. They provide more cover. It was 4-5-1 out of possession with Patterson sitting in and Reid as a trigger to slide behind when he pressed the ball. 

City's pressing?

Play it short and lose it the team are closer together to get compact and attempt go win it back. Defenders are close to midfield  and Forwards ... Play it much longer? Totally different and the aerobic effort has to be increased for running further.

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

The move came about very quickly. It is always possible he wanted to go but his performances did not seem to suggest that.

Agreed, and in retrospect and purely on playing ability we could have done with him still being here. 

But we do need to find a way of not collapsing when we have a decent lead and imposing ourselves on the game through the 90 mins.

We were doing just that earlier in the season.

44 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

I said the same to a mate of mine last night. I also said that I feel the new signings have almost disrupted things, not that they are not good players in their own right. Just that I feel that it’s disrupted our style of play. COYR 

good point. City looked to be a quick slick passing team. Kent loses the ball and holds onto it like Tomlin and gives Bryan as much cover as well when he cuts inside and over then loses it!!! Diedhiou back. the passing team is going.

I agree we needed more bodies in the squad. But it’s just that disruptive influence unless they hit the ground running. Which with our transfer policy ( which I’m all for ), of buying young potential, would be difficult. I also wonder about the loan of Kent, obviously has potential, but I wouldn’t be comfortable if he has to play a certain amount of games, again disrupting things. Nice to have options, but sometimes it can create problems as much as solve them! COYR 

Possession is the answer.

City press like Guardiola's teams do and they are, for their level, brilliant at it. They press high, at the right times, win the ball, and break quickly. If they don't score on the break they'll often win good field position to use a set piece or a long throw, from which they are very effective at producing goals.

What they do not do so well, certainly in recent games, is keep possession. Everything is 100 miles-per-hour hell-for-leather stuff and it's simply not possible to play like that for 90 minutes. Nobody can. They need to learn to slow things down and pass it around a bit. Have some 5 minute spells where they don't do anything. Wear the opposition out chasing them down for a bit.

"Game management" involves little time-wasting tricks and things like that, which they have improved at immensely this season, but it also involves killing the game with dull, safe, pedestrian play at the right times. I think they've forgotten that bit. Get it back and do it at the right times and they'll be right up with the best in the league.

3 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Possession is the answer.

City press like Guardiola's teams do and they are, for their level, brilliant at it. They press high, at the right times, win the ball, and break quickly. If they don't score on the break they'll often win good field position to use a set piece or a long throw, from which they are very effective at producing goals.

What they do not do so well, certainly in recent games, is keep possession. Everything is 100 miles-per-hour hell-for-leather stuff and it's simply not possible to play like that for 90 minutes. Nobody can. They need to learn to slow things down and pass it around a bit. Have some 5 minute spells where they don't do anything. Wear the opposition out chasing them down for a bit.

"Game management" involves little time-wasting tricks and things like that, which they have improved at immensely this season, but it also involves killing the game with dull, safe, pedestrian play at the right times. I think they've forgotten that bit. Get it back and do it at the right times and they'll be right up with the best in the league.

Absolutely spot on. I've lost count of the times I am shouting "KEEP THE *@%$***" BALL !". Just pass it about a bit and get composure back.

Archived