IGNORED

Perspective, please!

Andy Horsman

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

There's a curious pyschology to a score draw like yesterday's.  At the end of the day, we've played away from home to a half-decent team and scored as many goals as them.  Yes, we scored our goals first, but that meant that we could concede two and still take something away from the game.  We give the players far less credit for the good play that brought about the two goal lead, and instead focus almost entirely on the fact that we later conceded two goals.

People will say "Ah, but you should never let a two goal lead slip" - but why shouldn't we?  Do the opposition stop attempting to score a goal?  Do they suddenly cease to have players with skill capable of causing a defence problems?  Is it really the case that every goal we concede is due to our own failings, or should we perhaps acknowledge the ability of an opposition to create chances in the same way we were able to for our goals?

Others will say we should have been able to "shut up shop" and protected what we had.  Easy to say, harder to do.  On another day, that would be described as "sitting back and inviting pressure" - a more negative way of describing much the same thing.

When we won away at Hull from 2-down, no one was saying how poor it was the Hull let their lead slip.  The rhetoric was all about how well we'd done to fight our way back into the game.  Does it not cut both ways?

It's a cliche to say there are no easy games in the Championship but it's largely true.  And away at Leeds is certainly not one of the easier games.  I was as frustrated as anyone that we weren't able to hold on for the win, and of course we made mistakes that may have changed the outcome if they'd not occured.  But would it really kill us to recognise that there are two teams playing the game?

The psychology is simple, and hundreds of thousands of years in the making, summed up by: 

Bad is stronger than good.

If your ancestors had not paid more attention to what is potentially bad, or wrong - ie, threats and danger - than they did to what is good, or right, then there might not be a @ChippenhamRed here today. Nor a Thatch35 either!

Have a look at what you have or are paying more attention to on here: people pointing out what is good and right about Bristol City, or those banging on about what they see as currently bad and wrong. 

Many of those frequently arguing with the "doomngloomers" doing all they can to point the errors in their posts have more in common with them than they might think!

It's a funny old game, this being human!

5 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Disagree - everyone needs to rev up and be in a frenzy, a fury, on Wednesday evening. Like them Leeds fans that won them a draw yesterday.

Yes, at the match - we should be like that anyway, but takeaway the Leeds approach to getting on the goalkeepers back yesterday. Support our own by being loud and hostile towards other teams.

But in the real terms, like today, people need to calm down about the meltdown. 

Calmed down a bit, relaxed a bit, but still annoyed..... a bit.
So 2 draws from , I was going to put winning positions but it's not even that, coasting positions. But in the cold light of day here are my thoughts, trying to put a less negative spin on it.

Sunderland; this game got to the stage it was too easy , and once the team relaxed they lost their edge and Sun'land got a sniff. That said 2 very unlucky goals and a couple of bad ref calls, along with missed chances. They actually scored with 2 off target shots. Freak result? Well , yes and because of last year and yesterday no.
We did look a little like the team of last year at Leeds, surrendering ground not able to cope with players running at our defence, MF looking weak and ball not sticking up front but ......
FD scored again, Bobby scored the sort of goal he was scoring earlier in the season, Korey and Pack looking a good partnership and Flint being Flint. We have Bakes to come back in with ONeil , Pisano , COD all getting closer. With the injuries we had I'm amazed we're still anywhere near the Playoff's, yes this run is a bit shit and we need a result soon(plus some good luck and Referees giving us some of the Pens that so far missed), but there are signs. Little ones maybe, but after Cardiff we have a much kinder looking month, maybe reevaluate at the end of March and we could be a lot happier. Even lore so with 2 unexpected wins on Wednesday and Sunday .

Additionally, not seen this mentioned yesterday, but anyone else think the ref had a bit of a funny game? Seemed to fall for everything either side did, then suddenly gave them all the other way, then produced loads of cards in about 10 minutes.

Yup we are on a bad run, a few players coming back although no doubt that will be offset by fresh injuries/ suspensions. The big issue for me is lack of depth, hardly an awe-inspiring subs bench these days. 14 games to go, we might get our spark back, or it might just be too much to ask of a pretty small squad. Whatever, we have had a good season, had our time in the headlines, and played some great football at times. At least we haven't had embarrassing cup exits and a relegation fight.

8 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

I agree. The Fulham game is a great opportunity for the fans to play a massive part.

Totally agree . South Stand aside , very muted . In fact , in the Lansdown central area where I sit , even getting a comment or debate is viewed on as some form of mild anarchism. Fair play to the fans in S 82 . Tremendous . It’s all ok to go to the Etihad and be caught up in the drama and spectacle but those Leeds fans yesterday made a massive contribution to their revival . We need to do the same tomorrow and every remaining home game . 

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think some mean the shockingly unacceptable run of 1 defeat in our last 5 championship matches..! 

Some people on here need a serious word with themselves!

It makes periods of over achievement almost unwanted, when eventual & inevitable levelling our happens and people think it’s all doom & gloom! 

Sunderland was a poor point. Leeds was a decent point. 

Time for the fans to improve massively on the last few home games support, which has been dire. We need to realise where we were last season, see how far we’ve come and embrace that any kind of top 6 finish/challenge is a great scrivener this season  

The last time we had 6 points from 5 games (w1, d3, l1) was our opening 5 games of the season, and we then went on a little 7 game run.

i cant wait til Wednesday.  I don’t make many evening games because Joe struggles with cold and late nights, but we are gonna make this one.

9 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

The psychology is simple, and hundreds of thousands of years in the making, summed up by: 

Bad is stronger than good.

If your ancestors had not paid more attention to what is potentially bad, or wrong - ie, threats and danger - than they did to what is good, or right, then there might not be a @ChippenhamRed here today. Nor a Thatch35 either!

Have a look at what you have or are paying more attention to on here: people pointing out what is good and right about Bristol City, or those banging on about what they see as currently bad and wrong. 

Many of those frequently arguing with the "doomngloomers" doing all they can to point the errors in their posts have more in common with them than they might think!

It's a funny old game, this being human!

Foty odd years ago two Israeli  psychologists carried the following experiment on a large group of people.

Firstly they offered them the choice of $500 guaranteed or the flip of a coin which depending on the outcome they would win $1000 or nothing.  The vast majority took the guaranteed $500.

They they reversed the experiment and told the participants they had to give them $500.  However, they could choose a flip of the coin, double or quits , you pay us $1000 or nothing.  This time the majority went for the flip of the coin.

The allegory if this experiment is that Psychologically the majority of our supporters have banked our progress this season and are now angry that it may be taken from them and would be far more likely to take “risky” solutions to avoid going backwards.

The same psychology obviously explains the joy of coming back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2, as opposed to being 2-0 up and being pegged back to 2-2.

People act far more irrationally when something is taken from them,  than when they are given something.

On 19/02/2018 at 12:54, Leveller said:

You are being exceedingly negative and in danger of becoming another Ivorguy.

This is not an appalling run by any sensible definition. It is a mildly disappointing run after a surprising period of over achievement. We have lost one game in five, and in recent times only the Villa result can in any way be described as appalling. Losing leads isn’t good, but as has already been pointed out, that ignores in each match the good 60 minutes we had first. 

Look at the bigger picture and consider how you thought we’d do back at the beginning of August. Stop judging the situation by reference to the thought that we “ought” to be winning all our games and getting automatic promotion. Even ending up in the top third is always going to involve some disappointing results. Even Wolves have had some disappointing results.  Cardiff had a recent bad run and are now doing well again.

Calm down.

Please argue against the post not the poster, and especially don’t abuse another otib member whose post you are not commenting on

I think the difference is one of age and constant hopes raised and then dashed by City

Those of us who have been fans for over 60 years have grown accustomed to disappointments

Hopefully newer fans will in their 70s have more consistent success to look back on 

My father had little joy as well but my grandfather saw City in the FA cup final. Hope my grandsons will!

On 19/02/2018 at 12:26, cidered abroad said:

I know I'm being very negative at the moment. I'm absolutely gutted about the last two results and in general about seven of the last eight league games.

Ivor, with respect, you are incorrect in your statement. "The recent appalling run" is better described as "The current appalling run". It is very possible that it will continue at least for three out the next four games. Fulham, Cardiff and PNE could all be lost. 6 pts out of last 24 could be 7/9 pts out of last 36. Gloomy aren't I but when you've supported a team for 68 years and seen so many charitable donations of points to other teams that are on a very bad run, it is difficult to believe in positivity.

So then the poor run continues til the end of the season? We don't have any reason to revive as we are already safe from the dreaded scrap at the bottom. Fine, one could say, as we'll still finish higher than we did last two seasons and a good cup run.

Now here is the gloomy scenario. What about next season when the poor run continues at the start?

We have to get out of this sort of "no hope run" that is occurring every season under LJ. A bad run for most teams in the top half is a couple of draws and a loss. Even Cardiff lost four games on the trot but have followed this with four wins and two draws.  They did to Leeds at Elland Road what we should have yesterday; won 4-1!

No wonder we sit there chewing our fingers instead of getting behind the team vocally. Roll on Wednesday night.  

On a positive note Charity does begin at home :cool:

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Please argue against the post not the poster, and especially don’t abuse another otib member whose post you are not commenting on

I think the difference is one of age and constant hopes raised and then dashed by City

Those of us who have been fans for over 60 years have grown accustomed to disappointments

Hopefully newer fans will in their 70s have more consistent success to look back on 

My father had little joy as well but my grandfather saw City in the FA cup final. Hope my grandsons will!

Abuse? All I did was compare his negativity with yours. That’s not abuse, it’s a comment on your posts.

Archived