IGNORED

Her's a scenario for you....

spudski

....as a coach manager...you watch your players in training 24/7, week in week out and you see what they are capable of, and you decide to pick your side and judge it on what you see in training and match day.

Then you have the coach/manager that has a coaching set up, where they rely on their assistants to coach during the week and give feedback, but as a manager you only judge the players on what they give you week in , week out for that 90 mins on match day.

Some players are fantastic in training, yet fail to deliver week in week out for the crucial 90 mins on match day.

So easy as a coach to see what happens during the week gloss over things that happen every week on match day.

Must be hard.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

....as a coach manager...you watch your players in training 24/7, week in week out and you see what they are capable of, and you decide to pick your side and judge it on what you see in training and match day.

Then you have the coach/manager that has a coaching set up, where they rely on their assistants to coach during the week and give feedback, but as a manager you only judge the players on what they give you week in , week out for that 90 mins on match day.

Some players are fantastic in training, yet fail to deliver week in week out for the crucial 90 mins on match day.

So easy as a coach to see what happens during the week gloss over things that happen every week on match day.

Must be hard.

This may be why warnock has been so successful at this level. Walks the dog mon to Thursday. Takes training Friday. Picks the side based on what happened last Saturday.......

1 minute ago, milo1111 said:

This may be why warnock has been so successful at this level. Walks the dog mon to Thursday. Takes training Friday. Picks the side based on what happened last Saturday.......

We weren't sat together tonight in the pub were we? :laugh:

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Must be hard.

Tough one.

Bit like as a captain of the first team at cricket, and some guy is getting runs in the seconds.  You see him at nets, and he plays round his pad a bit.  You know he’ll get away with it in the seconds, but know in the first team he’s gonna get tapped leg before, because his technique won’t stand up to better quality bowling.  You have to go on gut instinct some times, trusting your judgement.  

I guess you have to go more on what you’ve seen in the pressure situation of a match, and use training to coach everyone to be better players.

Crap answer...sorry!

2 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Unfortunately not. I was watching it on an iPad with a cup of tea :shutup:

Had exactly same conversation with a fellow City fan, about how Warnock works. I hate his football, but he judges players by what they do on match day, not in training.

This season, if I just watched 90 mins like a fan and no training during the week, there is no way I'd play JB as a LB or sign Leko or Kent.

Were today and the Sunderland game the fault of the players or the tactics though?  Both through everything at us in the second half and we didnt react with a formation change until it was too late.  As soon as Leeds brought on a forward and a winger, we should have reverted to 5 at the back and 5 in midfield or 4 at the back and 6 in the middle.

What was the point in bringing on Woodrow? What was wrong with using Walsh and Kelly? or does Lee think they are not up to it?

Do you really believe that Colin picks his sides purely on how they have performed in their last match rather than it having anything to do with how the players have trained as well? Sorry but that’s ludicrous!

As a club, how would they be able to function because surely their squad players who haven’t played for however many games would be seriously pissed off & know there is no point in training if it’s not going to help them get an opportunity to play & surely the club would be aware of this & why would you continue to pay numerous amounts of people (Colin himself, his coaches & other backroom staff & the players themselves) if there isn’t actually a need for them to work on non matchdays! The club could just put it into the players contracts that they have to attend the local gym for fitness purposes on non matchdays, saving themselves a small fortune.

What motivation would Colin’s backroom staff & players have to bother in training if it isn’t going to have any bearing on them possibly getting selected on game day?

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Do you really believe that Colin picks his sides purely on how they have performed in their last match rather than it having anything to do with how the players have trained as well? Sorry but that’s ludicrous!

As a club, how would they be able to function because surely their squad players who haven’t played for however many games would be seriously pissed off & know there is no point in training if it’s not going to help them get an opportunity to play & surely the club would be aware of this & why would you continue to pay numerous amounts of people (Colin himself, his coaches & other backroom staff & the players themselves) if there isn’t actually a need for them to work on non matchdays! The club could just put it into the players contracts that they have to attend the local gym for fitness purposes on non matchdays, saving themselves a small fortune.

What motivation would Colin’s backroom staff & players have to bother in training if it isn’t going to have any bearing on them possibly getting selected on game day?

It's more to do with the fact that his opinion on players isn't tainted by watching players in training every day.

I don't like the way he plays football...however if you have players in your team constantly making the same individual errors on match day, but are good in training...do you pick them or play them in certain positions?

That's the scenario I was trying to get at mate, rather poorly ;-)

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's more to do with the fact that his opinion on players isn't tainted by watching players in training every day.

I don't like the way he plays football...however if you have players in your team constantly making the same individual errors on match day, but are good in training...do you pick them or play them in certain positions?

That's the scenario I was trying to get at mate, rather poorly ;-)

My reply was more of a reply to everyone, that’s why I didn’t directly quote anyone :whistle:

But again, how do any of his ‘squad’ members get an opportunity, by just getting 5 minutes here & there? How does a youngster show that he’s ready to step up or a player that was out of form show that he’s back? And what’s the point of him having coaches if he’s not going to take any notice of their recommendations from training?

It all seems very Jurassic to me but then I think that sums up Colin perfectly, he’s probably still using a chisel & slate to send messages on.  ;)

18 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

My reply was more of a reply to everyone, that’s why I didn’t directly quote anyone :whistle:

But again, how do any of his ‘squad’ members get an opportunity, by just getting 5 minutes here & there? How does a youngster show that he’s ready to step up or a player that was out of form show that he’s back? And what’s the point of him having coaches if he’s not going to take any notice of their recommendations from training?

It all seems very Jurassic to me but then I think that sums up Colin perfectly, he’s probably still using a chisel & slate to send messages on.  ;)

Oh I agree mate...I don't agree with his methods.

My point was surely you must judge your players more on what they do on match day.

You can be the best footballer in the world in training, but if you keep making the same mistakes on match day, regardless of how well you train during the week, then surely it's a time to take stock and take note?

37 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Players have to grab opportunities when they come. Sometimes a great 20 mins cameo can be the launch pad for a career. If you are good enough you will force your way in eventually. Clearly we dont have the quality depth in our squad at present. No one to come off the bench and help us see out games. Too many ones for the future and a couple who just arent top half champ standard. Maybe they look good at failand but have shown nothing in the heat of battle to show they are ready yet. Hence we have no credible options to arrest the momentum when it comes on top late on in games like yesterday.

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

Oh I agree mate...I don't agree with his methods.

My point was surely you must judge your players more on what they do on match day.

You can be the best footballer in the world in training, but if you keep making the same mistakes on match day, regardless of how well you train during the week, then surely it's a time to take stock and take note?

But doesn’t that work both ways? If you continue to make the same mistakes in a match, you should be dropped but how do you choose the right replacement if you only know how any potential replacement only gets 5 minutes as a sub to impress?

If it was me sat in the reserves / U23’s, I probably wouldn’t be that motivated to get a place in the team as I know that my efforts in training would be a waste of time & effort. And it all just backs up story’s of Warnock picking players who paid him to play, how else would you realistically get your opportunity?

8 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Players have to grab opportunities when they come. Sometimes a great 20 mins cameo can be the launch pad for a career. If you are good enough you will force your way in eventually. Clearly we dont have the quality depth in our squad at present. No one to come off the bench and help us see out games. Too many ones for the future and a couple who just arent top half champ standard. Maybe they look good at failand but have shown nothing in the heat of battle to show they are ready yet. Hence we have no credible options to arrest the momentum when it comes on top late on in games like yesterday.

So in 6 months a £9m striker has become a very poor player off the back of about an hours first team football with us, despite him moving to a new country & playing a totally different style of football?

Or what about a Swedish full international winger who was linked with numerous bigger clubs than us & has limited opportunities to impress all at the age of 21.

Or the 19 year-old Swedish striker that has played full international football but has had limited opportunity to impress here.

Where would we have been if we hadn’t allowed CO’D, Brownhill, Reid or even Bryan the opportunity to learn from playing for us?

Or Why are we bothering in wasting our time with any of them? Should we just go back to signing the Byfield’s & Adebola’s of this world?

If training isn’t going to have an impact on proving the ability of a player then why bother in making them train? Just send players to the gym to keep them fit.

32 minutes ago, reddoc said:

So based on this premise, and assuming you've only watched us on matchdays this season, what's your team Spuds?

Obviously depends on who we are playing against, and who is available. This will also answer to Tipsey.

However, when I posted the OP last night, I was seething. It was aimed at mistakes certain players keep making in match day scenarios.

I felt for LJ yesterday...I don't think it was bad match management. I thought he was let down by individual errors.

He still see's us as a team in the making.

Personally I don't agree with LJ when he see's JB as a left back. People bang on about Bailey at RB, but he hasn't made as many mistakes in the full back position as JB imo.

Sunderland and Leeds both probed us down our left side.

JB does a huge amount of work at LB. Up and down the line. I've noticed his 'mistakes' occur later in the game. Imo...his work rate effects his concentration levels and reaction levels later in the game.

I think LJ wants to play this way, which is fine, but it will lead to errors which we've seen.

Personally...if we had Baker fit and playing, and JB at LB with Kent in front, I would later in the game, bring Magners in at LB and move JB up to LM subbing Kent.

Without Kent in the side ( which isn't going to happen imo ) I'd have a preference for this team...

-------------------------------------------------------------------Fielding-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wright/Pisano----------------------Flint------------------------------------Baker---------------------------------------Mags

---------------------------Smith---------------------------------------------------------------------Pack--------------------------------

Brownhill/Odowda-------------------------------------Reid/Pato--------------------------------------------------JB/Kent

------------------------------------------------------------------Famara/Duric----------------------------------------------------------

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Obviously depends on who we are playing against, and who is available. This will also answer to Tipsey.

However, when I posted the OP last night, I was seething. It was aimed at mistakes certain players keep making in match day scenarios.

I felt for LJ yesterday...I don't think it was bad match management. I thought he was let down by individual errors.

Personally I don't agree with LJ when he see's JB as a left back. People bang on about Bailey at RB, but he hasn't made as many mistakes in the full back position as JB imo.

JB does a huge amount of work at LB. Up and down the line. I've noticed his 'mistakes' occur later in the game. Imo...his work rate effects his concentration levels and reaction levels later in the game.

I think LJ wants to play this way, which is fine, but it will lead to errors which we've seen.

Personally...if we had Baker fit and playing, and JB at LB with Kent in front, I would later in the game, bring Magners in at LB and move JB up to LM subbing Kent.

Without Kent in the side ( which isn't going to happen imo ) I'd have a preference for this team...

-------------------------------------------------------------------Fielding-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wright/Pisano----------------------Flint------------------------------------Baker---------------------------------------Mags

---------------------------Smith---------------------------------------------------------------------Pack--------------------------------

Brownhill/Odowda-------------------------------------Reid/Pato--------------------------------------------------JB/Kent

------------------------------------------------------------------Famara/Duric----------------------------------------------------------

I like that team a lot.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

Plus not the correct subs available, due to injury/bans. 

I don't think JB should play at LB (I don't think he himself really wants to or feels comfortable in that position). I'm no expert but I think he feels more comfortable in midfield and it plays to his strengths more. 

Why does LJ insist on playing JB as LB?

58 minutes ago, spudski said:

I get what you’re saying, especially about Bryan but on the pretence of only selecting players from first team game time, how / when would Lloyd Kelly get his opportunity? He’s an England U20 international who has played what, 3 times in our first team? And when Magnússon has struggled with his first team opportunities (for the most part of his appearances), who plays left-back in essence? And how does Pisano get his place back in the team after only 6 appearances in 6 months or so? It’s going to take him time to get up to first team fitness / speed & that doesn’t just come by playing for 5 minutes as a sub or if it does it’ll take him a season before he’s match fit!

One of the great & major things we have going for us as a club now is our facilities & the technology we are using to help our players during training & these facilities will help attract new & better players to join us.

Maybe the fact that Colin has so little to do with training says more about the man himself as a coach? He can clearly motivate players with his aggressive approach to people but that will surely only get someone so far before someone stands up to him & the rest of the squad realise what a shit coach he is? Maybe it’s because age has caught up with him & he can’t handle standing out in the cold on a daily basis or he’s realised he is truly a dinosaur & he can’t adapt to modern technology? A bit like when video recorders came in & you had to set it to record because your parents didn’t have the foggiest how to use it?!?

45 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I get what you’re saying, especially about Bryan but on the pretence of only selecting players from first team game time, how / when would Lloyd Kelly get his opportunity? He’s an England U20 international who has played what, 3 times in our first team? And when Magnússon has struggled with his first team opportunities (for the most part of his appearances), who plays left-back in essence? And how does Pisano get his place back in the team after only 6 appearances in 6 months or so? It’s going to take him time to get up to first team fitness / speed & that doesn’t just come by playing for 5 minutes as a sub or if it does it’ll take him a season before he’s match fit!

One of the great & major things we have going for us as a club now is our facilities & the technology we are using to help our players during training & these facilities will help attract new & better players to join us.

Maybe the fact that Colin has so little to do with training says more about the man himself as a coach? He can clearly motivate players with his aggressive approach to people but that will surely only get someone so far before someone stands up to him & the rest of the squad realise what a shit coach he is? Maybe it’s because age has caught up with him & he can’t handle standing out in the cold on a daily basis or he’s realised he is truly a dinosaur & he can’t adapt to modern technology? A bit like when video recorders came in & you had to set it to record because your parents didn’t have the foggiest how to use it?!?

I agree entirely with what you are saying fella... and of course what we are doing is the correct way, i'm all for it.

And I don't mind players who are coming through the ranks being tried out, and if they make mistakes so be it, it's all part and parcel of a learning curve.

What does it for me, is when certain players keep making the same mistakes, time and time again, who are regulars in the first team.

If they did it constantly in training, would they be picked to play in that position?

I see the same mistakes over and over again with a couple players, and don't get me wrong, everyone can make mistakes, but it's getting beyond a joke now with a couple.

What's so frustrating, is we do all the hard work and good stuff, and often having it all undone by these silly mistakes.

I guess it's still a learning curve for everyone...but it's so frustrating to see, especially as imo, we will drop out of the play offs and end up between 6th and 10th.

That's unless we change certain parts of our formation and how we play.

It's too gung ho at the moment. Go for it by all means, play the way we do...but why let teams back into the game, when change is needed earlier?

All good in hindsight, but it's becoming a problem now, and will probably cost us.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree entirely with what you are saying fella... and of course what we are doing is the correct way, i'm all for it.

And I don't mind players who are coming through the ranks being tried out, and if they make mistakes so be it, it's all part and parcel of a learning curve.

What does it for me, is when certain players keep making the same mistakes, time and time again, who are regulars in the first team.

If they did it constantly in training, would they be picked to play in that position?

I see the same mistakes over and over again with a couple players, and don't get me wrong, everyone can make mistakes, but it's getting beyond a joke now with a couple.

What's so frustrating, is we do all the hard work and good stuff, and often having it all undone by these silly mistakes.

I guess it's still a learning curve for everyone...but it's so frustrating to see, especially as imo, we will drop out of the play offs and end up between 6th and 10th.

It's too gung ho at the moment. Go for it by all means, play the way we do...but why let teams back into the game, when change is needed earlier?

All good in hindsight, but it's becoming a problem now, and will probably cost us.

What I see with JB at the moment is - As a winger if I can get the ball under control before he nicks it, Ive got a very good chance of getting a cross in.

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

If many of us can see it, Spudski, why can't, or won't, the coaches see it. I won't mention names as that is not the purpose but I could pick out around four of our regulars who are making the same mistakes or being caught out of position far too often and it is having a negative effect on the whole club including fans at the moment.

I guess I'm a bit old fashioned now but I think that modern football expects too much from the back four. Their role is simply to concede as few goals as possible. And defensive midfielders should not stray from a point just in front of the back four because their job is to firstly protect the four and secondly to join them as a back five when required. 

Unless we learn to defend any sort of lead especially away from home in the last twenty minutes, we will not make the progress that SL and many of us want. This is a disease that needs to be eradicated without delay.

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If many of us can see it, Spudski, why can't, or won't, the coaches see it. I won't mention names as that is not the purpose but I could pick out around four of our regulars who are making the same mistakes or being caught out of position far too often and it is having a negative effect on the whole club including fans at the moment.

I guess I'm a bit old fashioned now but I think that modern football expects too much from the back four. Their role is simply to concede as few goals as possible. And defensive midfielders should not stray from a point just in front of the back four because their job is to firstly protect the four and secondly to join them as a back five when required. 

Unless we learn to defend any sort of lead especially away from home in the last twenty minutes, we will not make the progress that SL and many of us want. This is a disease that needs to be eradicated without delay.

Who knows mate...they probably do, but are willing to allow these mistakes or hope to improve on them, because they want to play a certain way, and see some positives out way the negatives.

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

I guess the issue at the moment is that we still don’t have the necessary ‘strength in depth’ available to us. With Baker out for 3 games & Pisano still out, it leaves us very few options to change things for players struggling for form or fitness in defence. And the same could be said for our midfield, Paterson had been playing while not at his best & because Brownhill was needed at right-midfield, we had very few adequate options for the central-midfield positions. It could just be me but Pack didn’t seem to be running as freely for me as normal (like he was struggling with an injury) & he was clearly aware that a booking would mean him missing two crucial games, in fact our two toughest games on paper for the rest of the season but at least GO’N is back to a degree but whether he can manage two full games in 4 days or so is a bit of a risk or the options are to bring Paterson back in or Eliasson to allow Brownhill to move central or Walsh having to play in two such big games for us! Plus Smith picked up a knock on his ankle & it clearly affected his performance in the 2nd half & hopefully he’s going to be fit enough to play.

With Reid & Diedhiou upfront, we seem to be more settled there & scoring goals but Diedhiou clearly struggles to last a full game & our options aren’t exactly filling anyone with hope, Djuric still out injured, Woodrow just looks lost & Diony just hasn’t hit the ground running like so many of us were hoping for. And again, where does that leave us with these two games coming up? I think if Diony was brought on to replace Diedhiou he could do a job but against Sunderland he replaced Reid & he clearly isn’t a Bobby Reid.

We just need to get through these next 2 games with minimal damage & then Pack will be back as well & we can go again.

27 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I guess the issue at the moment is that we still don’t have the necessary ‘strength in depth’ available to us. With Baker out for 3 games & Pisano still out, it leaves us very few options to change things for players struggling for form or fitness in defence. And the same could be said for our midfield, Paterson had been playing while not at his best & because Brownhill was needed at right-midfield, we had very few adequate options for the central-midfield positions. It could just be me but Pack didn’t seem to be running as freely for me as normal (like he was struggling with an injury) & he was clearly aware that a booking would mean him missing two crucial games, in fact our two toughest games on paper for the rest of the season but at least GO’N is back to a degree but whether he can manage two full games in 4 days or so is a bit of a risk or the options are to bring Paterson back in or Eliasson to allow Brownhill to move central or Walsh having to play in two such big games for us! Plus Smith picked up a knock on his ankle & it clearly affected his performance in the 2nd half & hopefully he’s going to be fit enough to play.

With Reid & Diedhiou upfront, we seem to be more settled there & scoring goals but Diedhiou clearly struggles to last a full game & our options aren’t exactly filling anyone with hope, Djuric still out injured, Woodrow just looks lost & Diony just hasn’t hit the ground running like so many of us were hoping for. And again, where does that leave us with these two games coming up? I think if Diony was brought on to replace Diedhiou he could do a job but against Sunderland he replaced Reid & he clearly isn’t a Bobby Reid.

We just need to get through these next 2 games with minimal damage & then Pack will be back as well & we can go again.

Nice one fella...it's such a shame we've had these injuries this season. As well as players banned.

Remarkable how well we've done so far tbh.

Think we could get battered against Fulham.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Did someone say that he didn't play well as lone striker at his previous club?

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Nice one fella...it's such a shame we've had these injuries this season. As well as players banned.

Remarkable how well we've done so far tbh.

Think we could get battered against Fulham.

Not sure if we'll concede loads (might do) but definitely think we'll be thoroughly outplayed in a demoralising manner, similar to last season. 

Archived