IGNORED

Positives from last night

Major Isewater

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Diedhou and Bobby both notched from open to play.

We scored two away from home.

We took a point from Elland Road.

We may just have knocked out another potential play off competitor . 

We are 3 points ahead of Preston and remain in the top six .

Good morning old fellow...

Given our record at Elland Road is so poor, a draw might seem a good result. Especially against a new manager in his first home game.

But in the context of our season, particularly considering our current position, and their woeful recent form, to lose a 2 goal lead away from home, and for the second week in a row to draw a game we were comfortably winning against relatively poor opposition, suggests that we are rank out of form just at the critical point of the season.

There are no prizes given at half time or half way through the season. We quickly need to remember how to play for 90 minutes and how to defend a lead, with some proper game management. Injuries & suspensions are showing how reliant we have been on pretty much the same 1st team. Take away one or two starters & we are quickly looking a bit threadbare for reserves.

Baker’s suspension is over.

Thought our 2 central midfielders were both excellent.

We held on when we could easily have lost.

Presumably a couple of those out injured are a bit nearer returning..

Agree about Maggers, one excellent block from him late on.

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Baker’s suspension is over.

Thought our 2 central midfielders were both excellent.

We held on when we could easily have lost.

Presumably a couple of those out injured are a bit nearer returning..

Agree about Maggers, one excellent block from him late on.

Would put Maggers to LB on Wednesday,push up Joe with Baker back in..

I'm not sure that it's truly a positive, but this seemed to be the best thread to make the point - everyone losing their **** about us bottling games would almost certainly have been expecting us to lose the match altogether once it was back to 2-2. And many other Bristol City teams I can think of, would have done. Yes it's probably more good fortune than performance that their fella missed his back-post header and they hit the cross bar in the last few minutes, but nonetheless, we did not lose.

And at Elland Road that doesn't happen very often. At the ground I was as angry and frustrated as anyone, but in the cold light of day I'm strangely far more relaxed than I was about last Saturday. It's odd, I actually thought Leeds were worse than Sunderland measured for a full 90, but quality of opposition is not always the most important ingredient in comebacks. Momentum is huge when the crowd gets going and things become intimidating - and Elland Road is one of the few places this is true of.

I don't know what it looked like on TV but (and it's the same every time we go there) inside the ground once they get going the place is electric, I hate to say it because they were silent for an hour, but when you let Leeds get going at home, it's very hard not to be intimidated. Christ if City fans sat at home on the sofa are typing "here we go" what do you think our players feel like surrounded by it on all four sides. Sunderland was inexcusable, this wasn't, plenty of teams will buckle under the noise.

Reading social/OTIB it looks like everyone knew what to expect as the momentum swung, but it's worth re-stating this point: it's easy to watch on TV and simply see a match we've thrown away and grumble accordingly. But in the ground you can take a step back and take this one on the chin and just recognise it for what it was. It's no different to when we get going at AG when up against it. We know we can roar our team on to a big finish, but are apparently utterly amazed when people do it to us? :facepalm:

23 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Would put Maggers to LB on Wednesday,push up Joe with Baker back in..

As sporadically bad as our left side can be defensively, it's the right we need to really worry about on Wednesday up against Sessegnon.

Bailey Wright will need to play a hell of a game or we're going to have to have Brownhill or Kelly or someone with energy to support him.

Sorry Ole but for the first time, I disagree with you. I wasn't there, listened as always on radio so cannot disagree about match facts but over the past three seasons, we have become the Championship's biggest bottlers.

There are so many games that we've blown when leading with fifteen or twenty minutes left, that it has gone beyond belief. Radio Bristol commentary kept repeating for the first hour that Leeds were a shambles. Yet deep down I, and so many others, knew what was coming.

Johnson deflected it from the players against Sunderland by claiming it was his fault. This time it's because we got a good point at a difficult place. Leeds is no different to Burton. Don't take your goal scoring chances and be unable to defend corners and you lose. It seems like another loss to me.

Six points out of last twenty four. Sound familiar to everyone?

Could be six out if thirty by next Sunday afternoon!

It's a shame 1 win in 6, 2 in 10 - but I though first half we played some lovely football. Failure to change things up when we started to come under pressure was our undoing again. That said Leeds might be in a great league position but they have some good players, and anew manager to impress, so it was never going to be easy.

I mentioned it on another thread, but with GJ it felt like he could get his team to completely shut up shop, score a goal in the first minute of a game and he would get you a comfortable 1-0 win. Maybe it's just the passing of time eroding memories of us throwing games when we were in front, but maybe he can help Lee a little with some advice on how to see games out.

Archived