IGNORED

Fulham on Wednesday

BRISTOL86

Enough with the bitching about a couple of games that didn’t go our way, on to the next one and an opportunity to put it right (think we’d all have been delighted with 4 points from Leeds and Fulham). 

Thankfully, our best defender is back and available, the defensive frailty and his absence are surely intertwined. 

No Marlon, so what are we expecting? Brownhill into CM and Paterson starting, or perhaps Walsh into CM in a straight swap? 

Fulham are in very impressive form, but so were we until we suddenly weren’t! They’re far from unbeatable, as we’ve already shown this season.

Two sides who look to play the right way at least, so should provide something to look forward to before we go and get lumps kicked out of us in Cardiff. 

In theory we could be closer to 2nd than 7th come 10pm on Wednesday so let’s try and keep positive. It’s far from over. 

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Bit of a must-win in a way. Not for points tally necessarily but to get the monkey off the back and get the fans and players believing.

Tough game especially without Pack, we’ll miss him.

Can’t think of a worse two games to lose Pack for. But it is what it is. Hopefully someone else steps up. Desperately just need a win by any means possible to get some confidence back. 

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

For me, starting XI would be:

Fielding

Wright - Flint - Baker - Magnússon

Brownhill - Walsh - Smith - Kent/Eliasson

Diedhiou - Reid

Only concern really is missing Pack. I wonder if Walsh and Smith are too similar.

I know his form has dipped but no Joe Bryan?

And then you favour Eliasson (or Kent) ahead of Paterson who has contributed more assists and goals that either of the other wide players put together.

I hope this isn't the team.

i would like to see Brownhill for Pack and Pato brought back for his energy and creativity.

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I know his form has dipped but no Joe Bryan?

And then you favour Eliasson (or Kent) ahead of Paterson who has contributed more assists and goals that either of the other wide players put together.

I hope this isn't the team.

i would like to see Brownhill for Pack and Pato brought back for his energy and creativity.

Paterson has been well off the boil for some weeks now, as evidenced by LJ's decision to bench him yesterday. Offered us very little for a few games now.

Meant to put Bryan at LM, forgot he existed for a minute.

So would your midfield be:

Paterson - Brownhill - Smith - Kent?

Fear we'd get very little success with the wingers there, and I'd be terrified of Paterson in front of Wright against Ryan Sessegnon. Brownhill has to play RM for me.

I'd have the same side as @ZiderEyed but with Paterson behind Reid and Diedhiou on bench...

Fulham's side v Villa was (playing right to left so Fredericks as RB for example):

Bettinelli

Fredericks Kalas Rearn Targett

Cairney McDonald Johansen

Ayite Mitrovic Sessegnon

A 4-4-2 v such a fluid side, who play with a midfield 3- could get really badly exposed IMO.

I'd go:

Fielding

Wright Baker Flint Bryan

Brownhill Walsh Smith Kent

Paterson

Reid

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd have the same side as @ZiderEyed but with Paterson behind Reid and Diedhiou on bench...

Fulham's side v Villa was (playing right to left so Fredericks as RB for example):

Bettinelli

Fredericks Kalas Rearn Targett

Cairney McDonald Johansen

Ayite Mitrovic Sessegnon

A 4-4-2 v such a fluid side, with a midfield 3- could get really badly exposed IMO.

Agree that 4-4-2 with Paterson and Kent out wide would be suicidal.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Agree that 4-4-2 with Paterson and Kent out wide would be suicidal.

For sure. Factor in too us being outnumbered in the middle and Wright at Right back (not knocking him and he's been great but he is a CB by trade) and we'd have problems all over the pitch. We also played 4-4-2 v Fulham at home last year...in fact by weird coincidence it was almost exactly a year before this game??

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For sure. Factor in too us being outnumbered in the middle and Wright at Right back (not knocking him and he's been great but he is a CB by trade) and we'd have problems all over the pitch. We also played 4-4-2 v Fulham at home last year...in fact by weird coincidence it was almost exactly a year before this game??

That was far too easy that night, Nobody got near Cairney.

I think people get too hung up on he numerical presentation of ‘formation’.

We’re not the most rigid of sides as it is, I don’t think there’s any harm in starting with two strikers, especially when one is Reid. We can pretty much play 442/451/433/4231 without any changes in personnel. 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

That was far too easy that night, Nobody got near Cairney.

Remember it well- will be an interesting barometer as clearly we've improved on a year ago massively overall, but to compare these 2 games will be a good litmus test IMO. See what we've learnt, what possible frailties remain etc. 

A suicidal pass from Matthews for their 2nd sticks in the mind.

2 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Fielding

Wright, Baker, Flint, Kelly

Kent, Brownhill, Smith, Bryan

Reid

Diedhiou

Bench:

Maggers

Walsh

Engvall

O'Neil

Patterson

I’m with you on that team. Maybe drop Kelly for Mags? But other than that, I think that’s our best available side.

47 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

No need for Mags or Kelly at full back with Baker back. 

I think Bryan is better suited in midfield. Pato hasn’t been up to it lately so I’d have Bryan and Kent out wide. Then that leaves Smith and Brownhill in the middle.

I think Mags has done well to be fair to him and he has a weapon of a long throw. He created two goals alone yesterday 

I hope whoever we select that we don't play JB at full back. He is a great asset to the team but not in that position. He drifts inside when play is on the other flank and leaves his winger with acres of space to receive and control the ball. From then on he is on the backfoot and as our last 2 games, Sunderland and Leeds, has shown, he cannot cut out the cross or winger cutting in. Surely we have fullbacks somewhere in the club to enable Joe to play wide midfield. He is so much better going forward. Fulham will have watched us closely recently and will know our weaknesses. We need to stop teams raiding us down the flanks. Pack will be missed massively over the next 2 games so whoever plays midfield will need to up their game. I agree with Lew-T,  Bryan and Kent wide with Smith and Brownhill in the middle. Will be a tough game though.

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I think Bryan is better suited in midfield. Pato hasn’t been up to it lately so I’d have Bryan and Kent out wide. Then that leaves Smith and Brownhill in the middle.

I think Mags has done well to be fair to him and he has a weapon of a long throw. He created two goals alone yesterday 

Agreed I think Mags made a big contribution yesterday, but I think he's no full back. So if the two first choice centre backs are available then he doesn't get in the team for me. Pretty clear that LJ fancies Bryan as a LB.

FF
Wright-Flint-Baker-Mags
Kent-Brownhill-Smith-Bryan
                  Reid
                  FD

I thought Mags had started to look as though him and JB could form a good left side, he has made mistakes but who hasn't lately? 
Brownhill has looked good in CM earlier in the season and JB is good going forward and doesn't get caught out of position so much. Kent could be OK in front of BW and Wright doesn't get forward so much and would cover better, LJ might go with Pato but the poor form of late might mean he misses out again. Be good to see Oneil get 20 minutes and I'd love to see Eliasson on for FD when he tires, be good to have some pace late on. 
Tough game, we need an improvement and some luck.

8 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

For me, starting XI would be:

Fielding

Wright - Flint - Baker - Magnússon

Brownhill - Walsh - Smith - Bryan

Diedhiou - Reid

Only concern really is missing Pack. I wonder if Walsh and Smith are too similar.

Brownhill centre. Kent out wide. Walsh isn't up to it yet. Need GON for games like this. 

Archived