IGNORED

Seasonal "Progress"

BCFC J

Decided to let the dust settle instead of posting this after the match yesterday when everyone's backs are still up so it can actually be a discussion rather than hot heads getting wound up and reacting with three snake emojis on all their three duplicate accounts.

This season has been fantastic so far. The last few months not so much, but the away form early in the season, beating United, the Man City games, the national press attention we've attracted etc, but it looks as if we're going to end it with nothing to show for it.

We didn't make the cup final, understandable yes given the opposition, but we looked great for the top six and now we look like complete outsiders and people are happy about that, what kind of small club mentality is that?

It's all well and good believing that football is a fantasy and that if we miss out this season we're going to keep the squad together, offload some deadwood and replace them with improvements to the first team and make a stronger push, but that most certainly isn't going to be the case. 

If City don't get promoted the harsh reality is with the amount of national media interest us and our players have gained this season at least two or more of our best players (Flint, Bryan and Reid) are all going to go to the Premier League and there isn't much we can do to stop it, especially with Bryan and Reid's contract situations.

You can't just build and build, it's this season or back to square one. We had a magnificent chance to push on in January and cement a top six position but failed to do so, especially compared to the clubs around us who are currently flying, but even with the players we have coming back we have a side that's capable of putting a run together to get us into the top six.

Let's put the last two weeks behind us, have two quality defenders back and try and push on ffs. We're still in a great position and could complete something special now, let's stop pretending we're happy with mediocrity especially given the fantastic position we were in for goodness sake, otherwise we may as well just pack it in now and let the clubs who want to achieve something battle it out amongst themselves.

10 minutes ago, BCFC J said:

This season has been fantastic so far. The last few months not so much, but the away form early in the season, beating United, the Man City games, the national press attention we've attracted etc, but it looks as if we're going to end it with nothing to show for it.

Last few 'months'? Our league form has only really suffered for the past 2.

We didn't make the cup final, understandable yes given the opposition, but we looked great for the top six and now we look like complete outsiders and people are happy about that, what kind of small club mentality is that?

image.png.8122db192350db78a54d2ab0a9294ba9.png

We're 6th with a free point cushion, it's incorrect to say we look like 'complete outsiders' when we're still in the playoffs. 'Comple outsiders' would be yesterday's opponents.

It's all well and good believing that football is a fantasy and that if we miss out this season we're going to keep the squad together, offload some deadwood and replace them with improvements to the first team and make a stronger push, but that most certainly isn't going to be the case. 

Why?

If City don't get promoted the harsh reality is with the amount of national media interest us and our players have gained this season at least two or more of our best players (Flint, Bryan and Reid) are all going to go to the Premier League and there isn't much we can do to stop it, especially with Bryan and Reid's contract situations.

Unless you have inside info about their contract situations, I don't think there's much to be alarmed about. Reid may have an extension triggered by appearances similar to Pack.

You can't just build and build, it's this season or back to square one.

Of course you can, and no it isn't.

We had a magnificent chance to push on in January and cement a top six position but failed to do so,

We don't know that yet

especially compared to the clubs around us who are currently flying, but even with the players we have coming back we have a side that's capable of putting a run together to get us into the top six.

People get too hung up on short term form of other teams - aside from Wolves we've got the capability to beat anyone in the division and have a relatively good run in compared to others.

Let's put the last two weeks behind us, have two quality defenders back and try and push on ffs. We're still in a great position and could complete something special now, let's stop pretending we're happy with mediocrity especially given the fantastic position we were in for goodness sake, otherwise we may as well just pack it in now and let the clubs who want to achieve something battle it out amongst themselves.

Agree but I don't think that's the case. People want us to push on to get playoffs, and it's still within our control. That's the important thing. Two very important games coming up that really we need 4 points from.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Last few 'months'? Our league form has only really suffered for the past 2.

image.png.8122db192350db78a54d2ab0a9294ba9.png

We're 6th with a free point cushion, it's incorrect to say we look like 'complete outsiders' when we're still in the playoffs. 'Comple outsiders' would be yesterday's opponents.

Why?

Unless you have inside info about their contract situations, I don't think there's much to be alarmed about. Reid may have an extension triggered by appearances similar to Pack.

Of course you can, and no it isn't.

We don't know that yet

People get too hung up on short term form of other teams - aside from Wolves we've got the capability to beat anyone in the division and have a relatively good run in compared to others.

Agree but I don't think that's the case. People want us to push on to get playoffs, and it's still within our control. That's the important thing. Two very important games coming up that really we need 4 points from.

Because the mentality of conceding late, inviting pressure and chucking away leads every other week has well and truly sunk in again, and we proved last season how hard it was to shake it off.

My "inside information" is that both of them are contracted until next year as the club triggered a one year extension but if they don't sign on this summer they can go on a pre-contract for nowt in 11 months time.

And no, you can't. That's not how football works, if you peform above expectations your players gather interest and head's will be turned.

5 minutes ago, BCFC J said:

Because the mentality of conceding late, inviting pressure and chucking away leads every other week has well and truly sunk in again, and we proved last season how hard it was to shake it off.

My "inside information" is that both of them are contracted until next year as the club triggered a one year extension but if they don't sign on this summer they can go on a pre-contract for nowt in 11 months time.

And no, you can't. That's not how football works, if you peform above expectations your players gather interest and head's will be turned.

Sorry BCFC J but I can't tell which bits you are replying to individually. If you can do that I will respond further.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's also a fallacy to say that we will definitely have to rebuild after losing all our best players.

It is possible one or two may go, it is also possible none will go. The players are contracted to Bristol City and will only leave if a suitable bid comes in.

Reid and Bryan have already attracted interest from higher up and will have 12 months left on their deals in June, its more likely than not that they'll be off.

I'm not saying we won't get good money for them, but they will get good offers which is why we'll sell.

17 minutes ago, BCFC J said:

Reid and Bryan have already attracted interest from higher up and will have 12 months left on their deals in June, its more likely than not that they'll be off.

I'm not saying we won't get good money for them, but they will get good offers which is why we'll sell.

But we won't be letting all our best players go.

The club is still targeting the Premier League, 1 or 2 may go. No more than that.

I think that going all out for promotion and spunking millions in the January transfer window with how tight it is at the top would have been utter madness. If we were clear of some of the chasing pack then I think we should spend big in the window to get us over the line.

This team is good enough for promotion. I just don't think that the players believe it when the opposition starts to play against us when our high pressing game starts to tire us out.

We don't have any leaders on the pitch. We almost seem to collectively collapse and nobody steps up to the plate. That is a massive concern.

We are good enough to finish in the playoffs and good enough to go up, but it won't happen if we lose the 6 pointers or against poor sides near the bottom after building a cushion of 2 or 3 goals. 

We half heartedly attempted some gamesmanship yesterday. We weren't very good at it either. Brownhill picked up a totally needless booking.

Let's go up and get battered every week shall we? Or shall we build a sustainable future? The club has had a fairytale season considering last season fighting for our lives. Perspective needed! 

Brighton took years to go up, didn't happen overnight - be patient and see the long term ramifications.

Why can't we keep our players together? No player is irreplaceable, even if I would hate to lose certain key players.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Do we really want to go up, though?

To come crashing back down after a season......rather wait and consolidate.

If LJ held onto Flint, Bryan etc during the Jan transfer window (and can do so again in the summer) and take us from relegation battle to a top half finish this season we could have a consolidated attempt next season and stay up.....that said.... I would entertain promotion if we were actively battling for it but according to MA that is not our focus this season....

Either way I will be in the Dolman.....shouting for a team I've loved supporting for a long time.....COYRs

2 hours ago, BCFC J said:

Decided to let the dust settle instead of posting this after the match yesterday when everyone's backs are still up so it can actually be a discussion rather than hot heads getting wound up and reacting with three snake emojis on all their three duplicate accounts.

You can't just build and build, it's this season or back to square one. We had a magnificent chance to push on in January and cement a top six position but failed to do so, especially compared to the clubs around us who are currently flying, but even with the players we have coming back we have a side that's capable of putting a run together to get us into the top six.

Well said, I still think we'll make play offs.

It's in our hands as we have to play PNE, Boro & Sheff United.

The teams above us are flying but the teams below is our as inconsistent as us.

We'll finish 6th by about 4 points come the end I think.

3 hours ago, BCFC J said:

That's the rub.

No strength in depth.

So when (not if) any more of our players get injured or suspended, even when Pisano, Duric, Pack and O'Dowda are back (and low on game-time/sharpness/fitness) , we will be left wanting.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but so is fore-sight.

Archived