IGNORED

Did Grigg shout "leave it"

Ashtonwurzel

11 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Ungentlemanly conduct. Replay the tie!

Simulation more like.  Ban him for 3 games and let ManCity progress. 

Come on F.A., for the love of all that is true and fair in English football, you must do this. :whistle:

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Ha I used to do something similar at 5 a side. I’d shout ‘yeah, over here!’ when their keeper was looking for someone to roll it out to. Hardly ever worked but every now and again :laugh: 

I was a defender and I fell for this a couple times during my career.

A friend of mine was playing this Sunday, the opposition was clean through on goal, the defender decided the best thing to do was to scream quite loudly. Ref gave a penalty. I employ a similar tactic at 5-a-side by channeling my inner John Fashanu and yell ‘awooga’ as people are shooting. It either works well or our 5-a-side team can’t shoot. 

2 minutes ago, Redbo said:

A friend of mine was playing this Sunday, the opposition was clean through on goal, the defender decided the best thing to do was to scream quite loudly. Ref gave a penalty. I employ a similar tactic at 5-a-side by channeling my inner John Fashanu and yell ‘awooga’ as people are shooting. It either works well or our 5-a-side team can’t shoot. 

In American sports it is often seen as fine to attempt to put off an opponent in this way. Yelling "drop it" as some attempts to make a catch in baseball for instance.

Whilst coaching in High Schools over there I actually had to instruct my players not to do it.

9 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Looks like it to me. Clever if he did.

Grigg was yards away from Walker lifting his foot over the ball. Walker did it just to put the Wigan player off closest to him (who may of been offside anyway but showed no interest in going for the ball).

Walker simply lacked concentration & allowed the ball to get away from him too far.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

A high profile player did this in the 70s. I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but there was a bit of a fuss at the time even though the ref heard him and he didn't get away with it.

Alan Ball if I remember correctly.  The defender he did it to was quite young and inexperienced, I think that was the reason for the fuss.

Really well taken goal by Grigg. He still had a lot to do once he got the ball but he showed great composure.

Not sure what Walker was doing, though -  not just when he let the ball through but also when chasing back. I thought he would have had the pace to catch up with Grigg, but he seemed to try to catch up with him by veering outside so wasn’t goalside when Grigg took the shot. The other covering defender was slow in getting back too.

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

A high profile player did this in the 70s. I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but there was a bit of a fuss at the time even though the ref heard him and he didn't get away with it.

Hi Miah, 

I remember Bobby Charlton getting booked for this. I'll add, I think, just in case I'm wrong. I'll check.

3 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Hi Miah, 

I remember Bobby Charlton getting booked for this. I'll add, I think, just in case I'm wrong. I'll check.

I was wrong. He was booked for arguing with the ref....

Bobby Charlton was booked in a game at Old Trafford against Newcastle United in the early Seventies. His offence was to disagree with the referee about the distance of a Newcastle defensive line from the ball as he was about to take a free-kick. The referee booked Charlton before moving the line back to the 10 yards required by the rules of the game. Indeed, Charlton was booked for asking the referee to ensure that other players played to the rules. - 

2 hours ago, Redbo said:

I have a similar tactic in our 7-a-side, when I play in goal. As the opponent is winding up for a shot, I shout 'Make a name for yourself' or 'Be the hero!'. Surprising how often it works!

Archived