IGNORED

Grigg .... one that got away?

headhunter

Should he have been on our radar, perhaps he was?

Can't argue about his scoring record of 104 in 308 appearances. I know that's in league 1 but is that much of a step down from Ligue 2?

Is his DNA questionable? How much would he have cost - £6M? Wages - surely we could offer more than Wigan?

Imagine Diedhiou, Griggs and Bobby Reid as a front three! We could have Taylor, McCoulsky and Hinds as back up!

Hang on, I forgot we have all these strikers too: Woodrow, Djony, Duric, Engvall - what are they costing collectively in weekly wages £60k ....... that's £3M a year.

I seem to recall LJ asked for 3 transfer windows to get his squad right - we're on 4 now, it will be 5 in the summer.

1 minute ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

LJ said 3 transfer windows until we see  how a Lee Johnson side plays.  I think it's clear that he has delivered on that.

Yep. In his three windows he’s got us into a good position and playing a good brand of football. That is a decent achievement and there will be good signings and some not so good. 

Re the OP and Grigg (or Griggs!!!) - I didn’t see other clubs in our position clamouring to sign him either. 

3 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Should he have been on our radar, perhaps he was?

Can't argue about his scoring record of 104 in 308 appearances. I know that's in league 1 but is that much of a step down from Ligue 2?

Is his DNA questionable? How much would he have cost - £6M? Wages - surely we could offer more than Wigan?

Imagine Diedhiou, Griggs and Bobby Reid as a front three! We could have Taylor, McCoulsky and Hinds as back up!

Hang on, I forgot we have all these strikers too: Woodrow, Djony, Duric, Engvall - what are they costing collectively in weekly wages £60k ....... that's £3M a year.

I seem to recall LJ asked for 3 transfer windows to get his squad right - we're on 4 now, it will be 5 in the summer.

How many did he score last season in the Championship? Not very many at all. How many did he score while at Brentford in the Championship? Not very many.

If we signed every player that could succeed in the lower divisions with no proof of being able to play at our current level or above, we’d end up being Bristol Rovers!!

He has simply never shown any signs of succeeding at this level.

Man Utd went through a spell of signing Eastern European players after they did okay at the Euro’s with no proof that they could succeed at this level. They didn’t particularly succeed here either.

We simply aren’t in a position to sign every player in the hope that they may come good.

Will Grigg has scored a ton a goals yes, but in league one. His one season in the championship he scored 5. 

We already have one striker who scored a ton of goals in league one, but only a few in the championship.

Too much of a risk and one wonder goal against Man City in the cup doesn't change that.

26 minutes ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

LJ said 3 transfer windows until we see  how a Lee Johnson side plays.  I think it's clear that he has delivered on that.

6m for Grigg would not represent value for money in my book.

Mentally fragile you mean? That's all I've seen recently. Fine to have good young players but as I've said like a broken record you need to supplement with experienced quality. 

11 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Mentally fragile you mean? That's all I've seen recently. Fine to have good young players but as I've said like a broken record you need to supplement with experienced quality. 

In fairness Pisano and O’Neil are Johnson signings, both experienced but have been injured.

Additionally Steele and Fielding are experienced.. you could argue Bryan is experienced too.. Pack and Smith.. Flint, Baker, Wright.. we do have experience in the side really.

Experience isn’t just measured in age - those guys have lots of appearances.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In fairness Pisano and O’Neil are Johnson signings, both experienced but have been injured.

Additionally Steele and Fielding are experienced.. you could argue Bryan is experienced too.. Pack and Smith.. we do have experience in the side really.

Question. Do you think Cardiff would have thrown away those leads experience or no experience? I would put my house on it that Warnock would have kept two clean sheets. 

1 minute ago, tinman85 said:

Question. Do you think Cardiff would have thrown away those leads experience or no experience? I would put my house on it that Warnock would have kept two clean sheets. 

Not sure, don’t watch much of Cardiff. I think had Baker been playing we wouldn’t have. Our most important defender in my opinion.

Will Grigg hasn't exactly set the international scene alight. Played 9 times for Norn Iron and scored once. This was against Belarus in a friendly. However, his first ever senior goal was against Bristol Rovers (in 2011).

If Grigg is worth 6 million then Milan Duric is worth considerably more based on stats! Milan has 14 international caps and has scored 7 times. His first goal was against Wales.

Archived