IGNORED

Johnson calling upon fans

RedNight

Things like the lighting are just excuses, sorry. In no way does a fluorescent light preclude us from making an intimidating atmosphere. 

And whilst I think the club royally messed up the hard work of S82 vs Cardiff, you don’t need bits of coloured card or tinfoil flags to make noisy support that will give the home side that extra lift. 

2 minutes ago, Jacki said:

It’s taken a dip in the last few games but I think the atmosphere has been pretty good in the most part this season. I remember shouting myself hoarse v Burton during the 0-0 for example

Trouble is for every 1 like you there’s 99 who sit in silence all game no matter what is happening. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Things like the lighting are just excuses, sorry. In no way does a fluorescent light preclude us from making an intimidating atmosphere. 

And whilst I think the club royally messed up the hard work of S82 vs Cardiff, you don’t need bits of coloured card or tinfoil flags to make noisy support that will give the home side that extra lift. 

It's an example of the club not listening. Of going against the fans wishes.  I shout myself hoarse every game towards the back of the SS along with a merry band of fellows who try and get an atmosphere going every game in our area so it doesn't preclude it I agree. But it would help. And we need all the help we can get. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

It's an example of the club not listening. Of going against the fans wishes.  I shout myself hoarse every game towards the back of the SS along with a merry band of fellows who try and get an atmosphere going every game in our area so it doesn't preclude it I agree. But it would help. And we need all the help we can get. 

Yet every time the club does something with the fans it gets slammed on here, like the flags against Man City, the scarves against West Ham.

• Admin
1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Atmosphere has been dire all season. Team are over achieving and IMO about time we stepped up. Look at the difference it made to Leeds. 

But the atmosphere has never been great at Ashton Gate full stop apart from a handful of games

This is also the same up and down the land, apart from maybe Palace?

I always cringe when a Manager comes out with these kind of statements - make something happen on the pitch and the people in the stands WILL get more vocal behind the team

If it's mediocre rubbish, don't be surprised if people are sat on their hands

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

I agree it’s annoying, but turning off a light isn’t going to make people sing that don’t sing when the light is on. 

1 minute ago, phantom said:

But the atmosphere has never been great at Ashton Gate full stop apart from a handful of games

I always cringe when a Manager comes out with these kind of statements - make something happen on the pitch and the people in the stands WILL get more vocal behind the team

You must have been at a different Sunderland game to me mucker. 

Weve been ‘making something happen’ all season and the atmosphere has been, in the main, shit. 

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

This season says otherwise.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yet every time the club does something with the fans it gets slammed on here, like the flags against Man City, the scarves against West Ham.

Matter of taste I guess. Wasnt my cup of tea although the scarf was gratefully received by my little one. Certainly didnt 'slam' the club for it though in any way shape or form. But they're peripherals.  Working with S82 and those wanting to do something week in week out is what matters. 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Trouble is for every 1 like you there’s 99 who sit in silence all game no matter what is happening. 

I take your point but there have been times this season when the whole ground has been rocking. QPR after the sending off, Palace in the cup and of course the two Manchester games. It seems to me it needs to be perceived as a ‘big’ game for the atmosphere to be great from the start. Or something like a poor refereeing decision needs to foster a bit of a siege mentality in the stands. These next few home games are all massive so hopefully people will sense that and get behind the players from the start. I’m not holding my breath, but we can hope. 

1 minute ago, Jacki said:

I take your point but there have been times this season when the whole ground has been rocking. QPR after the sending off, Palace in the cup and of course the two Manchester games. It seems to me it needs to be perceived as a ‘big’ game for the atmosphere to be great from the start. Or something like a poor refereeing decision needs to foster a bit of a siege mentality in the stands. These next few home games are all massive so hopefully people will sense that and get behind the players from the start. I’m not holding my breath, but we can hope. 

It was far from rocking against QPR.

A decent atmosphere, yes, but nowhere near Man Utd.

2 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Was the atmosphere that good against QPR really? I agree that we normally raise our game when there’s a bit of a siege mentality as you say. 

I just hope fans realise tomorrow that now is a one of the most important periods in our club’s history and future, and don’t just turn up and sit like a bunch of wet blankets waiting for Fulham to score. 

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

It was far from rocking against QPR.

A decent atmosphere, yes, but nowhere near Man Utd.

I was in S82 and from there it seemed as loud as any league game this season. Somehow we need to create a bit of that cup atmosphere in every game. 

1 minute ago, Jacki said:

I was in S82 and from there it seemed as loud as any league game this season. Somehow we need to create a bit of that cup atmosphere in every game. 

S82 is consistently good. What we need is more of the same from other areas. If you are in S82 you can be forgiven for thinking the atmosphere is great :) 

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Those things were viewed by many, including me, as plastic and a bit weird. Let's let the fans do the atmosphere, but help them to be as loud as possible by, perhaps:

- Providing a small amount of money to go to displays

- Have conversations about how to improve atmosphere between our SLO and S82 (which I believe is happening)

- ******* lights and the automatons that stand all round the S82 blocks. Creates a divide between those fans and everyone else, what harm are they doing?

- Expand STs available for S82/standing areas

- Stewards helping out to put up the banners

Theres ways the club can support the atmosphere without taking the reins.

59 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He is just trying to deflect the recent events away from his players and himself and put the onus on us for getting them playing tomorrow!

Then he can blame us if it's a quiet evening and we don't win. Very clever isn't he?

Question: Are you really abroad, or are you flying in for tomorrow's game?

If you are abroad, how is LJ putting the onus on US???

Just interested !

4 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I was in S22 for both, and the two were worlds apart.

I've been in S82 for a few and it's easy to get caught up in it there, but the sections always sound much louder when you are in them.

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

S82 is consistently good. What we need is more of the same from other areas. If you are in S82 you can be forgiven for thinking the atmosphere is great :) 

Generally S82 is good, but I thought everyone was poor in the Sunderland game, S82 included. There were moments, but for the most part it was bad all round.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

He is just trying to deflect the recent events away from his players and himself and put the onus on us for getting them playing tomorrow!

Then he can blame us if it's a quiet evening and we don't win. Very clever isn't he?

I think you’re usually a good poster so I don’t understand these fairly vapid and reactionary posts you sometimes do.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Those things were viewed by many, including me, as plastic and a bit weird. Let's let the fans do the atmosphere, but help them to be as loud as possible by, perhaps:

- Providing a small amount of money to go to displays

- Have conversations about how to improve atmosphere between our SLO and S82 (which I believe is happening)

- ******* lights and the automatons that stand all round the S82 blocks. Creates a divide between those fans and everyone else, what harm are they doing?

- Expand STs available for S82/standing areas

- Stewards helping out to put up the banners

Theres ways the club can support the atmosphere without taking the reins.

I think that's what they did for the Man City game, can't remember exactly what was done.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO might be able to clear that up.

The lights, while a bit annoying have absolutely zero bearing on whether someone sings or not.

The others I agree on, and should come in time as a result of the communication, however it shouldnt take the club allowing S82 to get bigger for the atmosphere to improve.

People who want to join in can get tickets on either side of S82 and join in, the club allowing an increase would help, but it not happening doesn't make it impossible, or even difficult.

There is no way LJ has gone out of his way to do an interview about fans and atmosphere.

He's purely been quoted from an answer he's given to Adam Baker. It's a leading question that journo's can write 'headlines' and stories about.

He'd say it about any game.

My view on the atmosphere at the Gate...it's a difficult one.

I've noticed when a chant goes up of 'Cmon you Reds'...much of the ground joins in. It can be very rousing and gets everyone chanting.

When 'song's start up about the Gas and Hörður, it becomes localised and like 'white noise'. Just inane...

I think S82 do a fine effort in making noise...but I'm not sure about an atmosphere that the whole ground wants to join in with.

I however applaud their efforts, as one who sits quietly studying the game...I do shout and support with 'Cmon you reds etc'.....it can't be easy for anyone in that section trying to support the team when you have what looks like an army of Stewards and Police around you in an intimidating fashion.

No wonder the away support often seems louder...no intimidation at all.

Well done to everyone who gives it a go...but please more support for the team, rather than songs about Gas and just for the sake of it stuff ;-)

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I was in S22 for both, and the two were worlds apart.

I've been in S82 for a few and it's easy to get caught up in it there, but the sections always sound much louder when you are in them.

Generally S82 is good, but I thought everyone was poor in the Sunderland game, S82 included. There were moments, but for the most part it was bad all round.

I just think we're going through a bit of a bad spell .

Tired voices , too many matches .

Being badly positioned .

Young inexperienced supporters along with newbies need time to settle in .

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

There is no way LJ has gone out of his way to do an interview about fans and atmosphere.

He's purely been quoted from an answer he's given to Adam Baker. It's a leading question that journo's can write 'headlines' and stories about.

He'd say it about any game.

My view on the atmosphere at the Gate...it's a difficult one.

I've noticed when a chant goes up of 'Cmon you Reds'...much of the ground joins in. It can be very rousing and gets everyone chanting.

When 'song's start up about the Gas and Hörður, it becomes localised and like 'white noise'. Just inane...

I think S82 do a fine effort in making noise...but I'm not sure about an atmosphere that the whole ground wants to join in with.

I however applaud their efforts, as one who sits quietly studying the game...I do shout and support with 'Cmon you reds etc'.....it can't be easy for anyone in that section trying to support the team when you have what looks like an army of Stewards and Police around you in an intimidating fashion.

No wonder the away support often seems louder...no intimidation at all.

Well done to everyone who gives it a go...but please more support for the team, rather than songs about Gas and just for the sake of it stuff ;-)

You touch on a very good point there Spud. 

The more inclusive the chants the better chance of them catching on in oher pockets of the ground. 

Parents of young kids aren’t going to sit there shouting ‘17 Years, F—K OFF’ with the little ones in tow, where as the simple things like COYR will generally fare much better in terms of inclusivity. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’ll get flamed for this but I think it’s because we’ve become very entitled as a fan base. The whole ‘come on Lansdown, get the cheque book out’ mentality, like we’re owed something. 

We’ve not been out of the top six all season pretty much and there’s fans going into absolute meltdown because we’ve drawn a couple of games FFS. 

Got nothing to do with Lansdown. Pre-dates him by decades.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You touch on a very good point there Spud. 

The more inclusive the chants the better chance of them catching on in oher pockets of the ground. 

Parents of young kids aren’t going to sit there shouting ‘17 Years, F—K OFF’ with the little ones in tow, where as the simple things like COYR will generally fare much better in terms of inclusivity. 

It's a very good point.

I'm being very critical here, so I will hold my hands up and say I rarely start any songs. I have social anxiety and don't like to draw attention to myself, however I do join in as much as I can, and there have been times where myself and 3-4 others in the block I was in (at least it didn't sound like many more than that) have acted as a 'link' for want of a better word, joining in with S82 stuff and you then hear others join in.

But, on the 12th rendition of "we all hate gas scum" or "the wanky Bristol Rovers" I just can't be arsed to sing about a team who was non-league just 3 years ago when it would be better to sing about the club I am at the ground supporting.

I also don't join in with the "you synts" added on to the "we're all singing" song as it's exactly the type of stuff that stops others joining in.

A lot of the times I've been fortunate enough to go this season has been through another poster on here having a spare ticket, and I don't want to be using those words around his children.

Archived