IGNORED

Johnson calling upon fans

RedNight

1 hour ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

I sat in the upper Lansdown for the Sunderland game and saw lots of shiny new City merch being worn but zero singing, clapping or general noise being made. It was a bit shit if I'm honest!

Did you start some chants yourself to try and get it going?

I was in the lower Lansdown for Wolves and the atmosphere whilst not as constant as S82 was still good and lots of committed City fans in there. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’ll get flamed for this but I think it’s because we’ve become very entitled as a fan base. The whole ‘come on Lansdown, get the cheque book out’ mentality, like we’re owed something. 

We’ve not been out of the top six all season pretty much and there’s fans going into absolute meltdown because we’ve drawn a couple of games FFS. 

Guess it depends who you talk to but I haven’t heard that entitled perspective at all, more that fans are surprised and pleased at the season and enjoying the ride. 

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's a very good point.

I'm being very critical here, so I will hold my hands up and say I rarely start any songs. I have social anxiety and don't like to draw attention to myself, however I do join in as much as I can, and there have been times where myself and 3-4 others in the block I was in (at least it didn't sound like many more than that) have acted as a 'link' for want of a better word, joining in with S82 stuff and you then hear others join in.

But, on the 12th rendition of "we all hate gas scum" or "the wanky Bristol Rovers" I just can't be arsed to sing about a team who was non-league just 3 years ago when it would be better to sing about the club I am at the ground supporting.

I also don't join in with the "you synts" added on to the "we're all singing" song as it's exactly the type of stuff that stops others joining in.

A lot of the times I've been fortunate enough to go this season has been through another poster on here having a spare ticket, and I don't want to be using those words around his children.

I’m exactly the same. I’d never start a chant and I don’t profess to be some kind of super fan by any stretch - also a bit socially awkward! I could certainly do more. 

But I will always join in with any chant that isn’t packed full of obscenity (I do swear at football in moments of red mist but I also don’t willingly shout obscenities when there’s 2 young kids in front of me) 

2 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Did you start some chants yourself to try and get it going?

I was in the lower Lansdown for Wolves and the atmosphere whilst not as constant as S82 was still good and lots of committed City fans in there. 

I did - my only real success was a Cheerio to the Sunderland fans when we went 3-0 up and they started walking our of the Atyeo. Then we all felt like belters when it went tits up on the pitch.  

Apart from that it was sitting room only and people leaving on 38 minutes to get in the beer queue / 82 minute car queue. 

I'm in Lower Lansdown W12, and the whole ground will join in with 'Come on you Reds' 'Ole Ole Ole Bristol City' 'Red Army' and the encouragement songs, It's a shame that 'Drink up thee cider' or 'we love you city' hardly ever seems to get started at home games any more. It's great to have a section where everyone can stand, but they need to get the old school songs going more often rather than that cringeworthy song about our Icelandic sub, which has been nicked from Vincent Kompany anyway. COYR

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Here we go, blame our own fans again.

Maybe the atmosphere inside the ground is just a by-product of the sanitised environment that AG has become since the redevelopment...

It's been a little bit rubbish for decades - nowt to do with the redevelopment. 

Just listen to the noise that Leeds made on the weekend at 2-0 down .. incredible stuff ...AG is rarely like that! 

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Here we go, blame our own fans again.

Maybe the atmosphere inside the ground is just a by-product of the sanitised environment that AG has become since the redevelopment...

Ah the ‘modern football has ruined the atmosphere’ excuse for us creating a shit atmosphere! Whilst I agree that there’s an element of truth in that, to lay all the blame there is lazy.

I think all this atmosphere is poor now days is a bit of a myth,when I was younger, most of the noise,and that’s up and down the country and not exclusive to us,came from one particular part of the ground.Very few grounds were a constant walll of noise,I think people are hankering after something that never really existed .fans will cheer when we attack,get nervous and go quiet when we have to defend,and as it seems that now days that games are more a tactical midfield battle than up and at ‘em,there are times when the atmosphere is ,neutral ,shall we say.Of course that is only my opinion.

3 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I think all this atmosphere is poor now days is a bit of a myth,when I was younger, most of the noise,and that’s up and down the country and not exclusive to us,came from one particular part of the ground.Very few grounds were a constant walll of noise,I think people are hankering after something that never really existed .fans will cheer when we attack,get nervous and go quiet when we have to defend,and as it seems that now days that games are more a tactical midfield battle than up and at ‘em,there are times when the atmosphere is ,neutral ,shall we say.Of course that is only my opinion.

Absolutely. It’s normal for it to react dynamically to the on pitch events. 

What’s not normal is to be 3-0 up at home and be sat in a library. But apparently that’s the fault of modern football and nothing to do with our amazing fans

(modern football must have had a day off when Man U came to town)

4 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

A fair point NB, a fair point. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Absolutely. It’s normal for it to react dynamically to the on pitch events. 

What’s not normal is to be 3-0 up at home and be sat in a library. But apparently that’s the fault of modern football and nothing to do with our amazing fans

(modern football must have had a day off when Man U came to town)

I think people,rightly or wrongly,just sat and awaited the next goal,it was that easy.Well,that ended well didn’t it.

Bring back the man with the megaphone. In S82 this season it’s been good. But as of late. People will start songs of but I notice quite a few don’t sing at all. It just dies quickly. Then finally one will catch on and the atmosphere is good. Throughout the ground . Obviously the atmosphere goes flat sometimes . But I don’t understand why people by a season ticket in area that try to create atmosphere. And contribute nothing. There prerogative. 

Atmosphere has been dire all season. Team are over achieving and IMO about time we stepped up. Look at the difference it made to Leeds. 

To be honest that’s not the case , I have been going to the Gate for more years than I care to remember and to hundreds of away games , with the boys moved to the corner the atmosphere had been pretty decent , helps other in the south stand and Dolman to get more involved , lot better than last season , it’s not  the east end ( or the park end ) of the seventies and eighties but nor is anywhere else , lot of places I go ARE literally libraries and whatever you think Ashton Gate this year is not .

20 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

To be honest that’s not the case , I have been going to the Gate for more years than I care to remember and to hundreds of away games , with the boys moved to the corner the atmosphere had been pretty decent , helps other in the south stand and Dolman to get more involved , lot better than last season , it’s not  the east end ( or the park end ) of the seventies and eighties but nor is anywhere else , lot of places I go ARE literally libraries and whatever you think Ashton Gate this year is not .

Fair shout. I don’t get to many away games so I’m not in a position to make direct comparisons to other clubs. 

But that doesn’t change how dire it was vs Sunderland at at 3-0 up it’s inexcusable really. 

I’m making a direct comparison between this season and 07/08 and it’s night and day different. 

Is there any legitimate argument for the Man U atmosphere (even at 0-0) being better than Sunderland whilst 3-0 up? I can’t find one other than people getting a bit over excited that Jose’s come to town (if you want to support Man U, stay home and watch Sky) :grr: 

The old  East End was traditionally loud .

The low roof rebounding the sound, the density of the standing crowd and a just a little bit of Cider releasing the inhibitions of the crowd.

Also you mostly had the same people around you every match so you ' knew each other's game ' so to speak . We were one , not a group of self conscious individuals.

Things like the lighting are just excuses, sorry. In no way does a fluorescent light preclude us from making an intimidating atmosphere. 

And whilst I think the club royally messed up the hard work of S82 vs Cardiff, you don’t need bits of coloured card or tinfoil flags to make noisy support that will give the home side that extra lift. 

I think giving Cardiff the whole Atyeo didn't help either because we all know away fans (ourselves included) make one hell of a racket.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

I think giving Cardiff the whole Atyeo didn't help either because we all know away fans (ourselves included) make one hell of a racket.

See I have no problem with that in all honesty. I’d rather the atmosphere was great than have 2000 empty seats anywhere in the ground. If we do our bit it shouldn’t matter how many away fans are there as it’s alaays going to be a small minority of the attendance. 

Location wise it’s not ideal that they have a whole stand but at least it’s seperated from the rest of the ground somewhat. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

See I have no problem with that in all honesty. I’d rather the atmosphere was great than have 2000 empty seats anywhere in the ground. If we do our bit it shouldn’t matter how many away fans are there as it’s alaays going to be a small minority of the attendance. 

Location wise it’s not ideal that they have a whole stand but at least it’s seperated from the rest of the ground somewhat. 

Cant argue with you mate but it just seems that 3500 taffs were always going to make more noise and I suspect thats why CCFC are very much involved in the stitch up regarding away tickets this coming Sunday. We managed to have a segregated Atyeo for the two Manchester clubs and i'd personally let under 16s in there for a fiver but thats never going to happen.

You could say that most people need more alcohol to sing freely, but with the cost of tickets and the cost of a few pints, it is too expensive.

If I'm at a game sober as a judge, which is always the case, I don't feel inclined to sing but I will cheer and shout when possible.

A bit more alcohol in the system and then the inhibitions drop.

The price of football could partially be to blame.

3 hours ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

Do you think its because of all the fans who bought 1/2 season tickets for the cup games? There to watch a game of football rather than support City with noise / singing etc? 

I sat in the upper Lansdown for the Sunderland game and saw lots of shiny new City merch being worn but zero singing, clapping or general noise being made. It was a bit shit if I'm honest!

Don’t understand this theory. Why would the half season ticket holders make the atmosphere worse compared to the empty seats that were there before them?

On the atmosphere at Ashton Gate, from a purely selfish point of view, I honestly think the Dolman has got a hell of a lot quieter since S82 moved.

Block B (and A) - or whatever you call them in new money - have plenty of long timers who sing given the chance, but not many who'll start one up.

When S82 was right next to us in the Atyeo, the sound really carried over and we joined in. This season we're in about the worst position to hear it.

It can be unusually quiet now. Whether that affects the overall atmosphere I don't know, as the South Stand are obviously all joining in now instead.  

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Atmosphere has been dire all season. Team are over achieving and IMO about time we stepped up. Look at the difference it made to Leeds. 

Perhaps, after the trials and tribulations of last season, fans are in disbelief at what has been achieved this season and are in stunned silence as a result.

Smacks of desperation for me I'm afraid. Come on fans cheer all game regardless of how things are on the pitch. We've got no plan B and a depleted bench due to long term injury, so just cheer with all your might and let's see what happens. We had the same call to arms last year. I'm sorry but players are paid to do a job just like anyone else gets paid to do a job. I'm not going over the top in an attempt to heal any bruised egos. Up to the players and management team to prove to the fans that they have the stomach for the fight and that they want it. If they can show that then of course the fans will be onboard singing and cheering.

Archived