IGNORED

Johnson calling upon fans

RedNight

7 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Smacks of desperation for me I'm afraid. Come on fans cheer all game regardless of how things are on the pitch. We've got no plan B and a depleted bench due to long term injury, so just cheer with all your might and let's see what happens. We had the same call to arms last year. I'm sorry but players are paid to do a job just like anyone else gets paid to do a job. I'm not going over the top in an attempt to heal any bruised egos. Up to the players and management team to prove to the fans that they have the stomach for the fight and that they want it. If they can show that then of course the fans will be onboard singing and cheering.

Which brings us back to the question of why the atmosphere has been poor on the whole this season.

Is 2/3rds of the season in the top 6 and a cup semi final not exactly that?

2 hours ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

It's been a little bit rubbish for decades - nowt to do with the redevelopment. 

Just listen to the noise that Leeds made on the weekend at 2-0 down .. incredible stuff ...AG is rarely like that! 

Have people been suffering with selective hearing from that Leeds game?

First half was silent, they were jeering their own players.. the ‘support’ was actually ironic to begin with, like when you’re part of an away crowd and 4-0 down so start singing for the hell of it.. during this period they scored so the atmosphere was good. It really wasn’t all that.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Have people been suffering with selective hearing from that Leeds game?

First half was silent, they were jeering their own players.. the ‘support’ was actually ironic to begin with, like when you’re part of an away crowd and 4-0 down so start singing for the hell of it.. during this period they scored so the atmosphere was good. It really wasn’t all that.

There was a lot of jeering, but I thought they got supportive while it was 0-2 after they had a decent spell of the ball.

After they scored it picked up a lot. 

2 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Question: Are you really abroad, or are you flying in for tomorrow's game?

If you are abroad, how is LJ putting the onus on US???

Just interested !

No, but I'm no longer abroad but was when I chose my name. 

He's coming out with the oldie of "cheer the lads and they'll play better". It might happen at places like Elland Road where their team was a shambles for an hour. But those fans have history of real success in the past and know that they will get a response from the players. 

That history does not exist here. We've won only two titles since late 1920's. The Mickey Mouse Cup is irrelevant. I've been here in the past when the crowd got behind them but they still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

So cheer and sing your hearts out tomorrow night but remember we are in the middle of yet another LJ mid season blip. Except that his blips last two to three months. I forecast a score of 1-3 tomorrow because we win at Fulham and they are the form team of the moment who always seem to win here. 

I really do hope I'm totally wrong and a scrappy 1-0 win will send me home happy. You can all have a slag at me if we do win! 

28 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Up to the players and management team to prove to the fans that they have the stomach for the fight and that they want it. If they can show that then of course the fans will be onboard singing and cheering.

You are the living example of - 'sing when you're winning' 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think you’re usually a good poster so I don’t understand these fairly vapid and reactionary posts you sometimes do.

Ta for the compliment but these awful mid season runs are just coming too often. We've had a great opportunity to achieve this season but as always, it's BCFC is the one club that will slide so easily from those who've been in top six for last three months. So predictable for me. 

I wonder if we will ever become a "big club" like all the others that get to spend a few seasons at the big club's table. 

HD once said at an AGM  in late sixties that we'll never be another Tottenham Hotspur. I know what he meant but it's the fact that we have never tried to. 

Sorry if I seem like a miserable sod but just so disappointed by City yet again. 

39 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Which brings us back to the question of why the atmosphere has been poor on the whole this season.

Is 2/3rds of the season in the top 6 and a cup semi final not exactly that?

Ashton Gate is redeveloped. Take a look around and you will see a lot more youngsters at games with their parents. They are hardly going to join in with "Let 'im die" and songs that include effing and jeffing. Instead they watch. This is the future of football. 

16 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

You are the living example of - 'sing when you're winning' 

Absolutely. If it is a party then let's all sing, but if there is a funeral taking place one is hardly going to burst into song.

5 hours ago, RedNight said:

I think this says a lot about our recent support/ atmosphere of late.

We've been upmongst the play offs all year and have had a cup run beyond anyone's imaginations. Yet our manager has to come out and get the fans up for it.

Im actually hoping the last couple of results will make fans realise we're in a fight here and nothing's garunteed. I think lately we've been turning up and expecting wins. Which is a credit to the players that our expectations are so high. 

Everyone knows what a big game tomorrow is and Ashton Gate under the lights is an unbelievable place when it wants to be! Hoping for a massive atmosphere tomorrow. The fact that everyone knows it's a tough game will hopefully help the atmosphere! 

Lets do our best guys!! Get behind the boys! 

Youu reds.

( @James_ , are the flags going to be out in S82) looks class and often sets the tone)

Perhaps people are "relaxed" about things, not in any great rush to get to the PL (confident in "the project" delivering at some point), and not absolutely targetting promotion this season?

34 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Ashton Gate is redeveloped. Take a look around and you will see a lot more youngsters at games with their parents. They are hardly going to join in with "Let 'im die" and songs that include effing and jeffing. Instead they watch. This is the future of football. 

Absolutely. If it is a party then let's all sing, but if there is a funeral taking place one is hardly going to burst into song.

Are you really saying you don't like Mum's and Dads taking their kids to football because it affects the atmosphere? It is the future and is exactly the same as in the past! 

Loads of current adult supporters were taken by their parents as kids, and long may it continue!!

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Here we go, blame our own fans again.

Maybe the atmosphere inside the ground is just a by-product of the sanitised environment that AG has become since the redevelopment...

I think there is an element of truth in this, not so much the sanitisation but the improved facilities which are great of course but also seem to be becoming a distraction. I note how late it is before the ground fills before kick off, how quickly it empties at HT, how long it takes people to return after half time, and most disturbingly, how many people wander in and out during the game. I half jokingly said to someone the other day that they almost need the equivalent of a theatre bell to get people to their seats for each kick off. I know when I was lucky enough to use the Heineken Lounge recently, it was quite easy to miss the players returning to the pitch. 
It could be that those distractions are part of a novelty factor, but I am not sure that is the case. 

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

He is just trying to deflect the recent events away from his players and himself and put the onus on us for getting them playing tomorrow!

Then he can blame us if it's a quiet evening and we don't win. Very clever isn't he?

Well if there was anyone on here who could write a negative post about a call to arms it just had to be you! 

Negative, negative, negative blah blah blah 

Just give it a rest yea? 

I will predict this -

We lose to Fulham and you will be on here, thread after thread of negativity.

We beat Fulham and you will not have anything to say (unless its negative).

Just saying.... 

6 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Are you really saying you don't like Mum's and Dads taking their kids to football because it affects the atmosphere? It is the future and is exactly the same as in the past! 

Loads of current adult supporters were taken by their parents as kids, and long may it continue!!

Lots of boys went without their parents though back in the 70's and 80s didn't they. Probably couldn't go on their own now without a parent or guardian (safeguarding? )

It is 100% more sterile now. and we all know the reasons why. I think LJ's plea is slightly at odds with Bristol Sports happy smiley sat on hands dont offend the opposition policy.

A bit mixed on this one. I think it is a bit overdone about how poor the atmosphere is at our home games. Watch practically any live Championship game on Sky (and I do, i love watching the Championship more than any other football) and you WILL hear "Is this a library?.   "Your support is (rather) bad" "your ground's too big   etc etc  or something similar aimed at practically every home team. People will have a different view, but i don't think the atmo or lack of it has cost us anything this season. Don't forget too, that Leeds got loud later, but they were openly taking the piss out of their own players for an hour or so. So it could be said that they got back into the game WITHOUT the help of the fans Not good, if you ask me.

41 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Perhaps people are "relaxed" about things, not in any great rush to get to the PL (confident in "the project" delivering at some point), and not absolutely targetting promotion this season?

I wish that was the case.. but it's really not. Look at the reaction to the previous two results. It's like we're bottom of the league! 

34 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

God no! The children are the future of this club. The face of football has changed and the hooligan element has subsided so more families attend these days. Unfortunately a lot of terrace songs are simply inappropriate for little ears. Fans don't need to be prompted via the big screen to sing "COME ON YOU REDS!" - that is what really puts people off. I was in section 82 and that flashed up and everyone around me changed the song to 17 years and we all hate Gas scum.

2 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

God no! The children are the future of this club. Unfortunately a lot of terrace songs are simply inappropriate for little ears and fans don't need to be prompted via the big screen to sing "COME ON YOU REDS!" - that is what puts people off.

I can't remember a single game I went to prior to the redevelopment where "come on you reds" wasn't put on the East End scoreboard at least 2-3 times.

1 minute ago, Cheesleysmate said:

God no! The children are the future of this club. Unfortunately a lot of terrace songs are simply inappropriate for little ears and fans don't need to be prompted via the big screen to sing "COME ON YOU REDS!" - that is what puts people off.

Do you think so? I was told what is said at football is not to be repeated, as were all my mates, as will my kids be. They say much worse in the playground and given a longer leash would be giving the opposition left winger a right good bollocking every time he gets the ball imv.

Might have misinterpreted your post a bit so sorry if I have.

3 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Phew, glad to hear it. Sorry if misinterpreted.

Inappropriate songs has always been an issue with little ears, I take my 8 year old grandson now and again. I must admit the fairly recent addition of the "C" word is something I think we could do without, but it doesn't stop me taking him. 

We've got a plethora of over 50's at AG who are decades loyal but we've seen it all before, sang it all before and frankly we enjoyed the whole City experience more when we were much younger.

We haven't got the voices we used to, we don't go down in a group of a dozen lads like we used to, we don't get pissed before the game any more, and even if we did you're not allowed to 'misbehave' these days, like we used to. So, generally, we're quieter.

We love Bristol City Football Club, it's ingrained in us, it's part of us, and we won't stop supporting it, but we don't necessarily always enjoy it.

We also accept the new stadium, are grateful for it even, but we don't half miss the old AG too.

We could say we've done our bit for BCFC as far as vociferous vocal support goes. I'll join in the Come on you Reds etc., but that's usually enough for me these days.

What I also notice at AG these days is a paucity of young fans in the 16-25 age group. This is the age group who should be making the noise but I'm not sure this generation of Bristolians is interested en masse in going to AG like we were.

I remember times when the majority of the AG crowd seemed to be 18 - 30 year old males, and the support could be tremendous even with with 10k. 

A problem for the club going forwards I reckon - if they want vociferous vocal support that is, because kids with their Mum or Dad won't be making it, and neither will many OAP's.

48 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We've got a plethora of over 50's at AG who are decades loyal but we've seen it all before, sang it all before and frankly we enjoyed the whole City experience more when we were much younger.

We haven't got the voices we used to, we don't go down in a group of a dozen lads like we used to, we don't get pissed before the game any more, and even if we did you're not allowed to 'misbehave' these days, like we used to. So, generally, we're quieter.

We love Bristol City Football Club, it's ingrained in us, it's part of us, and we won't stop supporting it, but we don't necessarily always enjoy it.

We also accept the new stadium, are grateful for it even, but we don't half miss the old AG too.

We could say we've done our bit for BCFC as far as vociferous vocal support goes. I'll join in the Come on you Reds etc., but that's usually enough for me these days.

What I also notice at AG these days is a paucity of young fans in the 16-25 age group. This is the age group who should be making the noise but I'm not sure this generation of Bristolians is interested en masse in going to AG like we were.

I remember times when the majority of the AG crowd seemed to be 18 - 30 year old males, and the support could be tremendous even with with 10k. 

A problem for the club going forwards I reckon - if they want vociferous vocal support that is, because kids with their Mum or Dad won't be making it, and neither will many OAP's.

Yeah to all of this. The kids today! Problem is it’s our generation is the one that brought them up. 

Also as you imply times have changed as has been said multiple times in the kicked off in Brizz thread. Mostly for the better I guess!

27 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yeah to all of this. The kids today! Problem is it’s our generation is the one that brought them up. 

Also as you imply times have changed as has been said multiple times in the kicked off in Brizz thread. Mostly for the better I guess!

Perhaps someone could sort out a mobile chant app! All the younger ones could put their phones in the air at the same time :clapping:

Archived